Western Edition - Knight Ultra Lite

I'm going shopping this weekend. Two new Cabelas in the Denver area plus the old standby Sportsman's Warehouse. I'm sure I can find something that is much cheaper than the Knight Ultra-Lite and still relatively light. I'll get several hundred bucks back when I return the Ultra-Lite. I've got some time off next week so I can take a few days and get the new muzzleloader zeroed.

Just wish the Ultra-Lite hadn't been such a PITA.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Damn bro hope you get that worked out. Otherwise we can fire up that Martin and get you out with us =-)

WKR
Barrel walls are very thin on some of these lighter rigs. I have considered and may yet do an NECG banded front sight. Have a competent smith install and thinking that might work well.

Horsepower & 30338 - Thanks for your thoughts guys! No holes on top of the barrel, and yes the barrel walls are very thin. It strikes me as odd that Knight would make a perfect backpacking gun without the ability for users to easily mount iron sights. I could possibly exchange for the "western edition" that does have iron sights, but that model has the No 11 ignition which doesn't interest me. I'm thinking I'll end up with another brand muzzleloader after some shopping at Sportsman's and Cabelas this week.

SHTF - That's not a bad idea! Unfortunately I'm maxed out on elk tags with my muzzy tag and cow tag for 1st rifle season. However, if I'm unable to find a suitable muzzleloader then I could be a sherpa for you guys. :) I know you guys are gonna see elk in that area!

Shrek

WKR
Can the western hunter take a 209 breach plug ? Just because it comes with #11 cap plug doesn't mean that it can't be modified. I haven't looked but I bet it can.
Edit : I just looked at the Knight site and the western ready ultra lite can use both the 209 or the #11 cap.

Last edited:
OP
sabotloader
Can the western hunter take a 209 breach plug ? Just because it comes with #11 cap plug doesn't mean that it can't be modified. I haven't looked but I bet it can.
Edit : I just looked at the Knight site and the western ready ultra lite can use both the 209 or the #11 cap.

Yes, you can use either breech plug in the Ulite or the Mountaineer but you also need the corresponding bolt. The Western Bolt is different on the face than is the 209 bolt.

OP
sabotloader
Horsepower & 30338 - Thanks for your thoughts guys! No holes on top of the barrel, and yes the barrel walls are very thin. It strikes me as odd that Knight would make a perfect backpacking gun without the ability for users to easily mount iron sights. I could possibly exchange for the "western edition" that does have iron sights, but that model has the No 11 ignition which doesn't interest me. I'm thinking I'll end up with another brand muzzleloader after some shopping at Sportsman's and Cabelas this week.

SHTF - That's not a bad idea! Unfortunately I'm maxed out on elk tags with my muzzy tag and cow tag for 1st rifle season. However, if I'm unable to find a suitable muzzleloader then I could be a sherpa for you guys. :) I know you guys are gonna see elk in that area!

You can get the ULite from Knight drilled and tapped for open sights... The Western edition comes that way...

You can see the open sights installed on this rifle...

Just order the Western Edition with a 209 bolt setup... or contact Knight and get a regular ULite drilled and tapped.

Shriek and Sabotloader - Knight Rifles, well Ashley, told me that I cannot get a 209 bolt for the western edition. She says I can get irons put on a straight 209 but it's a special order. They can't do a special order now because everyone is out for hunting season. Haha. It's almost like they forgot Colorado hunters.

Maybe I'll keep the gun and send to Knight later for irons. Just hunt this year with a buddy's weapon or a cheap gun I can dump later.

Thanks for your ideas guys. I want to make sure there isn't some option I have not considered. Of course I wouldn't be here now if I had pulled the trigger on the weapon earlier. My bad. It's all good though. I'll figure out a way to muzzy hunt and I have rifle season as a backup.

OP
sabotloader
Shriek and Sabotloader - Knight Rifles, well Ashley, told me that I cannot get a 209 bolt for the western edition. She says I can get irons put on a straight 209 but it's a special order. They can't do a special order now because everyone is out for hunting season. Haha. It's almost like they forgot Colorado hunters.

Maybe I'll keep the gun and send to Knight later for irons. Just hunt this year with a buddy's weapon or a cheap gun I can dump later.

I believe Ashley might be correct that if you order the Western you will get the Western Bolt and BP, you probably need to order the 209 separate.

Another alternative - you really only need a front sight drilled and tapped - I would be that a local gun smith could do that for you at a minimum expense - I say that thinking you might install a Williams type FP Peep or a WGRS peep. If you want the regular open blade front sight then you would have to drill and tap the second set of hole.

I am still thinking Knight would accommodate Colorado hunters, I guess I really never brought that up when I was pushing for a drilled and tapped ULite for the Western States.

OP
sabotloader
Thanks for your ideas guys. I want to make sure there isn't some option I have not considered. Of course I wouldn't be here now if I had pulled the trigger on the weapon earlier. My bad. It's all good though. I'll figure out a way to muzzy hunt and I have rifle season as a backup.

Call Bob's Sporting Goods in Longview, Washington - see what it would cost to ship a Western Edition to Colorado for you. He has the lowest price I have seen on a ULite. I bet it would be cheaper than buying from Knight. If you do that, get a rifle I have a plan for a 209 bolt and BP for your hunting season. Let me know.

mike

Mike - Bob's is sold out at the moment. Hey it was worth a shot! Thank you for lending your expertise.

I think I may be back to this plan: Hunt this year with another weapon and send the Ultra-Lite to Knight for fitting with iron sights at a later date. The Ultra-Lite looks and feels like a really nice gun, so it's probably worth a little more trouble to get it set up for next year. A buddy offered his muzzleloader because he didn't draw this year.

Update: After much research and calling around to different gunsmiths in the Denver area, my wife dropped the Ultra-Lite off at T.J.'s Gunsmithing in Aurora, Colorado. They have a great shop in a commercial district and were able to drill and mount the Williams Fire Sights. They did a great job and I'm heading out a little later to do some shooting!

I'd be sunk without my wife. Sometimes she amazes me with the trivial things she's willing to do on my behalf! I'll be backpacking into my area Friday afternoon for elk!

If you need gunsmith services in Denver, don't hesitate to visit T.J.'s Gunsmithing. They were super nice and have a large, clean shop. It looks like a real going concern. I talked to Tim this morning when I picked up the rifle and he is a craftsman.

untitled-02457_zps6c71bea1.jpg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update: After much research and calling around to different gunsmiths in the Denver area, my wife dropped the Ultra-Lite off at T.J.'s Gunsmithing in Aurora, Colorado. They have a great shop in a commercial district and were able to drill and mount the Williams Fire Sights. They did a great job and I'm heading out a little later to do some shooting!

I'd be sunk without my wife. Sometimes she amazes me with the trivial things she's willing to do on my behalf! I'll be backpacking into my area Friday afternoon for elk!

If you need gunsmith services in Denver, don't hesitate to visit T.J.'s Gunsmithing. They were super nice and have a large, clean shop. It looks like a real going concern. I talked to Tim this morning when I picked up the rifle and he is a craftsman.

untitled-02457_zps6c71bea1.jpg

Awesome man! Question, why do you have the rear sight far forward?
Hope it shoots well!

The sight is placed correctly. Makes for very quick target acquisition, although probably not quite as accurate as a rear-mounted ghost ring. Look at the Knight website and compare with the Western Edition sight placement using the same Williams sights. Should be a real shooter at least to 150 yards.