Western Edition - Knight Ultra Lite

OP
sabotloader
The sight is placed correctly. Makes for very quick target acquisition, although probably not quite as accurate as a rear-mounted ghost ring. Look at the Knight website and compare with the Western Edition sight placement using the same Williams sights. Should be a real shooter at least to 150 yards.

Looking at mine the placement looks like it is right where it should be - but I would get a peep for it when you can and have time...

OP
sabotloader
Just so everyone knows - I did get a phone call into Knight the other day and the Ultra-Lites will shortly all be offered with sights and your choice of ignition systems.

The driving force really was Colorado and Minnesota, but they have been getting requests for sights and 209 ignition.

I'm rolling with the open sights this year. The Ultra-Lite puts bullets on a paper plate at 100 yards. Truthfully, I've never shot an elk further than 120 yards away even with a scoped center-fire rifle. It's not that I wouldn't or couldn't shoot further but I've always stalked up on them or had them appear at point blank range. Quick off hand shooting. Might try a peep next year.

OP
sabotloader
Sabotloader - I'd love to know how you get them to do this stuff. When I call it's all "take a number and sit down." :)

Actually I think it was your inquiry that was the final straw - as yours was not the only request they have been fielding. The popularity of the rifle has and is growing but the majority of the people still want to have the most versatility they can get. Yet there are still some people that want the old DISC Elite characteristics or modern American centerfire - no sight look. In this case I think the more practical won out...

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a nice gun, Eric. I am going on my first muzzleloader hunt this year here in Colorado (unit 45). I picked up a CVA Wolf compact. It is lightweight, small, and cheap. But certainly not as pretty as your Knight.

Which part of the state are you hunting?

Eric,

I almost purchased a CVA. They are compact and have a very nice balance point.

Doing my first muzzleloader hunt in the Rabbit Ears Range (181). Backpacking out to a little valley I've hunted before with a rifle. Probably my last year in 181. I've got a few other ideas based upon some of the high country fishing trips I've done.

Unit 45 is beautiful. I haven't hunted it but I've backpacked in the Holy Cross Wilderness a couple times, trekked the "Halo Ridge" around Mt. of the Holy Cross too.

Are you heading out Friday?

Eric

Sabotloader - After shooting the Ultra-Lite with open sights, I can see why you'd recommend a peep. I'm on the paper plate, but not quite sure how. The illuminated front dot on my sights was just about as big as the paper plate at 100 yards. :) I'll switch to a rear peep and front hooded sight next year.

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
Eric,

I almost purchased a CVA. They are compact and have a very nice balance point.

Doing my first muzzleloader hunt in the Rabbit Ears Range (181). Backpacking out to a little valley I've hunted before with a rifle. Probably my last year in 181. I've got a few other ideas based upon some of the high country fishing trips I've done.

Unit 45 is beautiful. I haven't hunted it but I've backpacked in the Holy Cross Wilderness a couple times, trekked the "Halo Ridge" around Mt. of the Holy Cross too.

Are you heading out Friday?

Eric

Yep. Headed out Friday. It is very hard to think about anything else. :) 45 IS really pretty. Unfortunately, I am hunting solo so I am not able to go as far back as I'd like. Maybe next year.

I'm also using standard open fiber optic sights this year because I am already comfortable with them. No time left to monkey around. Next year switching to peep rear and front hooded sights. I remember seeing some "ghost ring" sights that looked pretty good and durable.

Good luck up by Rabbit Ears! I have not spent any time up there. Stay dry.

Has anyone installed a Williams FP rear peep sight on either a Mountaineer or Ultra Lite. The Williams website does not list either of these models so I'm uncertain how they mount or if one might fit these models of Knights. The don't list an email address either so I'd have to call them which I might but since this thread was on the subject, I thought I'd pose the question. I did recently get a Lyman 57 SMET for a White and it would not be possible to put it on a Knight as the barrel curvature is not compatible.