Western Edition - Knight Ultra Lite

The rifle has arrived and I must really say that I was and am more impressed with the rifle than I really thought I would be. A couple of things I knew going into this project. I really wanted this rifle basically because of weight. It weighs just slightly over 6# from the factory.

Knight was able to reduce the weight of this rifle basically by offering a completely new stock assembly. At the same time as they moved to the Kevlar stock they incorporated a aluminum bedding block into the stock. The block along with the cantilever recoil lug (commonly called a 'forked recoil lug) offers the rifle stability never seen in a Knight rifle before. The Kevlar stock offered on many high end rifles offers durable construction with a greatly reduced weight factor.

Another thing Knight accomplished with the help of their partner Green Mountain Barrels - they contoured the barrel even more than the old Knight DISC Elite. Looking at the nose and crown of the new Ultra Lite you might be surprised at the 'slimness'

It is my belief this new stock and the added machining that Green Mountain had to accomplish was a very difficult decision for Knight. These two decisions were going to drive the cost of one of these rifles far beyond the every day price of other available muzzleloaders out there. I believe it was a tough decision and one that I am glad they made. I also believe that the are people out there that will opt for this rifle even though with the price. I am pretty sure that Knight knows that not everyone is going to run out and buy this rifle. Myself, I have been terribly bitten by the ML disease. I now hunt all year with a ML, both the regular rifle season here in Idaho and ML season. My center fire rifles have become safe dwellers.

Since, I have chosen to hunt both rifle and ML season with the same rifle. Because of this the rifle I choose to use I want it to have a lot of versatility, in that I want to scope and use 209 primers during rifle season, yet during ML season I have to return to cap ignition and for me here I have to shoot full bore lead conicals. The Ultra Lite allows that versatility as does the Extreme. So it really comes down the weight factor and some added features of Ultra lite.

As mentioned the weight factor is key, a couple of other added features to this rifle not found in the DISC is the Pacmayr recoil pad, the fully adjustable match grade trigger, and the higher tolerances held in the Mountaineer series rifles just to mention a few off the top of my head.

Here a few pictures of the new rifle…

WesternEditionpg1.jpg

WesternEditionpg2.jpg

For us western hunters, I have been told that Bob’s has 4 of the new rifles coming in shortly and Wholesale Sports or soon to be again Sportsmans Whse. will be getting a good order in later in the spring. Both of these dealers should beat the Knight price easily… but then again demand has a lot to do with price…

Hopefully I will get an opportunity to shoot the new rifle soon…

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool! Looks like a very nice machine and anxious to hear how it shoots!

My extreme should be here in a few weeks.

OP
sabotloader
Just an update on my progress or lack there-of

Really thought I was going to get an opportunity to shoot today... but it is not going to happen... It is Vandal Friday on campus and we have a family friend bringing their daughter over for the event from Portland, the parents are bunking here. So my time is not going to come today...

But just as an update - I pulled the BP and pushed .458, 452, and 40 cal. sabots through the bore.

All sabots loaded very and most importantly the Orange MMP, the HPH-24 and the big thick MMP Blue 40x50 sabot all loaded as I wanted and needed. No need of the Crush Rib or the 3p-EZ Load sabot for loading...

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sabot, looking at the photo, does your rear peep mount on top of a scope base? If so that looks like a slick setup.

OP
sabotloader
Sabot, looking at the photo, does your rear peep mount on top of a scope base? If so that looks like a slick setup.

That is does... I really do not like slide and glide adjustments because it is so hard to be precise with the adjustments... But I also believe this system and the peep are exactly what I need to make the rifle more versatile...

I drew a muzzleloader tag in Colorado for the first time and need a muzzleloader. I've hunted with ultra-light rifles and like the looks and weight of the Knight Ultra-Lite Western Edition. Is this weapon appropriate for Colorado?

I looked at the Colo regs and it seems you cannot load from the breach, cannot have electronic ignition, can only use iron or fiber optic sights, can only use loose powder (black or black powder substitute), and must use a full-bore diameter projective (no sabots).

Based upon those rules, it appears to me that the Ultra-Lite Western would be good-to-go right out of the box. Seems to me that I could use the included 209 primer system, the Williams fiber optic sights, a full-bore conical projectile, and black powder substitute and be legal in Colorado.

Your comments are welcome!

Thanks!

wolfman

FNG
I drew a muzzleloader tag in Colorado for the first time and need a muzzleloader. I've hunted with ultra-light rifles and like the looks and weight of the Knight Ultra-Lite Western Edition. Is this weapon appropriate for Colorado?

I looked at the Colo regs and it seems you cannot load from the breach, cannot have electronic ignition, can only use iron or fiber optic sights, can only use loose powder (black or black powder substitute), and must use a full-bore diameter projective (no sabots).

Based upon those rules, it appears to me that the Ultra-Lite Western would be good-to-go right out of the box. Seems to me that I could use the included 209 primer system, the Williams fiber optic sights, a full-bore conical projectile, and black powder substitute and be legal in Colorado.

Thanks!
I just went through this exercise for Colorado too. See my Moose with a muzzleloader thread-(lots of good advice there). I bought a Knight DISC Extreme. I just put a peep sight on it and have yet to get out and shoot it but hope to do that next weekend. I looked at quite a few and did a lot of research and got some great advice from the folks on this site. I steered clear of T/C due to not being able to use sabots here. I am sure Mike(Sabotloader) and others will chime in. Good luck!

OP
sabotloader

Thanks!

The Ultra-Lite would be an excellent rifle Colorado - actually anyplace since it has the options to allow you match state regulations. In Colorado you would not really need the Western Edition because you can use 209 primers. So you can use a loose powder of your choice and if you are just getting started in ML shooting and hunting I would suggest BH-209. I use Triple Seven, but there is a learning curve with it that is steeper than BH.

The next thing I would suggest is to find the correct size Thor 300 grain full bore conical that will fit your bore. Thor offers sample kits that have different sizes in them so you can find the best fit. Other than that I would use a .503-460 gr. MT Nex lead conical from Bull Shop. No-Excuses also makes one but I like Dan's conical lube a little better.

I would also suggest you get the rifle of your choice soon and get started shooting to get a feel for ML shooting.

Williams offers a FP peep sight that is a great sight with 1/4 min clicks - combined with a fire sight on the front you get a really good combination.

This is the front sight combination that I would use...

And this is the Williams FP mounted on another Knight rifle...

I must suggest to you also that the Williams FP on a Ultra Lite may require some modification because of the new Bolt handle and the thickness of the Kevlar stock.

If you wanted to go the easier way the Williams WRGS would also work well...

If I can help with anything let me know...

mike

Last edited:
wolfman and sabotloader - Thanks for weighing in! Great advice!

I'm going to look at that Moose thread, and I will check out those conicals/primers/powders.

Do the Knight muzzleloaders come pre-drilled for sights like the Williams? Looks like this might be an easy DIY project with the Williams WRGS and fire sight on the front.

I gotta get moving so I can do some shooting!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm going to look at that Moose thread, and I will check out those conicals/primers/powders.

Do the Knight muzzleloaders come pre-drilled for sights like the Williams? Looks like this might be an easy DIY project with the Williams WRGS and fire sight on the front.

Yes you buy the Williams fp to fit the rifle.
You better get shooting! You don't have alot of time.

OP
sabotloader

As the dr. said they are predrilled - so you order the site for the application. The front sight is a complete change out. You will need to order the a 3/16" Williams Stream Lined front ramp, a .312N front sight and a fire sight hood.

Check this out on Hunt Washington - near the end of the post I show the front sight setup...

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,121644.0.html

Kerrdog is ordering all of the stuff so he can set his rifle for rifle hunting and ML hunting..

And just so you know this is posted on Modern ML

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23984

New in box green stock bare primer fed
$675 tyd

That is as cheap as they come... You can get them for $699 in Washington at Bob's Sporting Goods.

mike

Think I'll make a trip to Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro to see if they have the DISC and Ultra-Lite so I can handle them. Leaning towards the Ultra-Lite due to the lighter weight. My new Highcamp 7000 is foliage so I might want the the tan color just to offset all the green. :)

wolfman

FNG
Think I'll make a trip to Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro to see if they have the DISC and Ultra-Lite so I can handle them. Leaning towards the Ultra-Lite due to the lighter weight. My new Highcamp 7000 is foliage so I might want the the tan color just to offset all the green. :)
Sportsman's had the best selection and prices. BP didn't have much when i was there. I would call them first before you dirve there. I paid $499 for DISC with the thumbhole stock.

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

If you are a member of Sportsmans guide, they have a pretty good deal on the disc extreme. I think I picked mine up for 450$ shipped.

OP
sabotloader

He just dropped the price to $650 to your door. Also remember there is a 2 pound weight difference between the DISC and ULite.

sabotloader - Thanks, you are all over this. I couldn't get up to Sportsman's today b/c my wife needed my help on a project, so I'll be up there tomorrow afternoon after some meetings. I can't wait to see what the Ultra-Lite feels like. I hunted the rifle season with a Savage Ultralight Hunter last year and I'll never go back to a heavy rifle, so I will probably like the Ultra-Lite. Having said that, I am really warming to the tan version of the Ultra-Lite. Wish that guy on modernmuzzleloader was selling a tan weapon. I will likely pull the trigger on all your other advice - I'm not much of a gear tester and don't want to spend hundreds before I figure it out myself. I'd rather start with good gear and stick with it if possible.

You guys are a ton of help. Thanks :)

OP
sabotloader
I kinda like the tan stock also... Although I think I am going to get a green one from Knight for one of my older DISC rifles.. that will drop some weight off it also...

Sabotloader - So I finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago and got the Knight Ultra-Lite. I called Knight before ordering and said I wanted something Colorado legal, specifically a 209 ignition with iron (fiber optic) sights. Knight customer service ("Ashley") said I should order the straight 209 without scope, because all Knight muzzleloaders ship with iron sights. So the rifle arrived from Sportsman's Warehouse (great deal, $699) a few days later WITHOUT iron sights and with no way to mount anything but a scope!

I quickly ordered the Williams Firesight myself and when it arrived I took the gun to a gunsmith. The gunsmith had it for a short time and then called me back and said "sorry, I can't drill into this barrel." I am not really sure I understand the issue.

I think my muzzleloader season may be over before it started, which stinks because I've got a great area dialed, with just a three miles hike in.

Do you guys think there is anything I can do at this point? I'm considering a return of the weapon to Sportsman's, and then just get another lightweight muzzleloader of a different brand. Knight Rifles was absolutely terrible on the customer services side (spoke to Ashley a couple times with no results . . . ) and I don't know where to go.

Ideas????? Thanking you in advance!

Eric