Western Fitness

bhartman

FNG
I know majority of making it several days out west is mental toughness. But I figured being physically fit makes the challenge a little easier. Is the best way to simulate out west hunting to ruck a lot or wear a weighted vest on a stair master? What about including an elevation mask into your raining to simulate the thinness of air at particular altitudes. Or are programs like Sheicko with a lot of cardio the better route?

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I've only recreational hiked out west on montana, and hunted what elevation we have in north texas this year, but honestly I'd put it this way.. cardio baseline matters, but your best friend is strength.

When you can run 3 to 5 miles easy withoutdieting, you're in a good spot.
When you're hiking, it's usually not your lungs stopping, it's your muscles needing a break. Legs sore from going vertical (squats, lunge patterns). Back sore from carrying weight. Traps and neck sore from bearing the weight and keeping you upright.
Towards my hunt I rucked alot with 40lbs on. There was only one day where on my hunt I was physically beat, and that's because I hadn't had any food in 8 or more hours, sweat my butt off with the weather change, and didnt have enough salt.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't read too many rave views on masks, so I would skip that

you definitely want a good cardio base- it takes a long time to build a base- measured in years, not months

the earlier you start to build that base, the better- start slow and gradually work on building the mileage

adding a weighted pack (I'd give it 8 weeks or so before adding any weight) a couple of times a week will help- again same mantra- work up gradually, both with distance and weight

hill repeats, stair repeats, stair master, etc- all will help and need to be sprinkled in as well

strength training 2-3 times a week w/ emphasis on multi-joint exercises and core strength will definitely help too (again it should be a gradual approach)

I see too many folks touting aerobic training over strength training and vice versa- I'm telling you as someone who spends most of his life recreating in the mountains- you want both; a balanced approach is going to be the most advantageous approach

This is all one session: run 2.75 miles, ruck sack 2.75 miles (30 lbs and increase to 50 lbs when close to season), 10 mile bike bike ride with hill emphasis and then some flats. That's all I do. I never suffer any leg fatigue in the field with this regimen. I hunt in central ID. No flat terrain there. I don't train with free weights.

I've heard altitude mask don't really help. They will, however, exercise your intercostal muscles and diaphragm, because you have to work harder to inhale. This doesn't translate to better aerobic capacity.

*zap*

WKR

I agree with mtwarden on the years not months comment and incremental increases over time. Right now I am looking to make significant increases in my cardio/rucking by the end of this year thru incremental increases.

Find your baseline for the exercise's that stresses you but does not leave you worn out and increase by 10% when it does not stress you. Frequency also needs to be considered in that equation as the difference between doing something once in a week vs 3x in a week is substantial especially as the weeks/months add up. Regular rest days are also important.

On a ruck the factors are the amount of weight, the terrain, the distance and the speed you travel at. Ideally you would do a 10% increase on one of those factors at a time which is why I like to do training rucks on a treadmill. I can set the speed and keep that constant, set the incline which makes it easier to land on my mid foot and decreases joint stress vs landing on the rear of my foot, especially at higher ground speeds. I can control incline, speed, weight carried and duration and incrementally increase one are at a time. The difference between a steady 3mph and a steady 3.8 mph or a flat incline vs a 4.0 or greater incline is significant, especially when it is kept constant over the duration of the ruck. I have knee issues and the difference between walking on flat vs a 2.5 or better incline is something that is substantial and the steady incline is much easier on my knee's. Trail/road rucks are nice but I cannot keep things as constant as I can on a treadmill.

As far as Stairmaster, they are good but you get no downhill so ideally walking up/down stairs is probably better.

I highly recommend strength training for the whole body because you really cannot duplicate that with rucking or cardio and posterior chain strength is very important.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I've read through both of those programs previously- it's a very well thought out and balanced approach imo

jwatts

WKR
The one and only reason I started exercising was for hunting out west. I've gone through highs and lows of physical fitness over the past 7 or 8 years. Too much cardio without a weight program will get you a heck of a cardio base, but no strength to get you up the hills. Too much weight work will get you strong, but quick to get winded. It takes a good mix. There are 2 different ways that I found to work almost equally well. I can tell a few differences between the 2, but not a whole lot.

In 2014 a group of us decided to go to CO for elk. This would be my 2nd trip and I knew I needed to be better prepared cardiovascularly. I did nothing but run and ruck. I dropped 25lb over 6 months. When we got there I was good to go with no load. Hauling a pack up and down the mountain dang near killed me. I had the cardio, but not near enough leg strength to keep me going. I got fatigued, I started compensating for weaknesses and just transferred the pain to other places. Not an overall good experience.

In 2017 I was getting ready for an elk hunt in WY, as well as my first marathon. Leading up to my October hunt I may have missed a dozen days of running total from January to October. I was also doing a 5x5 weight lifting program 3 times a week. I found that I had a great cardio base, and plenty of strength to get my up the hills. I didn't bulk up because of all the running, I didn't lose muscle and weight too fast because of the lifting.

I just did my first sheep hunt this past August. I wasn't running as much due to plantar fasciitis issues. I was still running some, but shorter distances more infrequently. I did, however, supplement my cardio with HIIT. The gym I go to does HIIT, Crossfit, and similar type workouts at lunch. We also made it a point to do stadiums once a week. I would put on a weighted pack, walk the 1.5mi from the gym to the track, do a few miles on the track and stairs, then ruck back to the gym. Again, I had a good cardio base and good strength.

I'm not saying either is the best for you. As others have said, the sooner you start, the better. Start now, find something that works for you, and stick with it. The sooner you start, the sooner you can figure out what you need to be doing.

Best way to get into mountain shape is to get into the mountains with your pack. For most people that is hard to do. So...

Cardio is important. This is not just for the day to day grind but also to learn to control your hear beat. That is helpful come time for the shot.

Basic strength training is important as well. Don't need to become a gym rat.

Grab your pack, load 25-50 pounds, and hit any incline you can. It can be bleachers, stairs, StairMaster, etc. I have one place whose StairMaster is steep. That thing kicks my butt.

Never used an altitude training mask. Seen too many mixed reviews.

Nothing replaces time on your feet, preferably in the mountains. Have seen plenty of tough, strong guys crippled up by blisters.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I do zero rucking. I backcountry camp/hike so do carry 30lb packs from time to time. I focus on cardio and core, never had an issue packing out elk.
People put too much emphasis on trying to put in a ton of miles under heavy loads, when training to hunt. I like to ruck as much as the next guy, but 45 pounds is my ruck limit when training. I've spent a decent percentage of my life with 85 pounds or more on my back (not voluntarily, part of my job). Only negative impacts on my body have resulted from that. I've found that my body has a happy medium with weight training and cardio.

Nothing replaces time on your feet, preferably in the mountains. Have seen plenty of tough, strong guys crippled up by blisters.
100% correct. SAID principle (Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demand). The best way to train for an activity is to do the activity.
When you can't practice the SAID principle, you do the best you can, to replicate the anticipated environment.

JWAZ

FNG
100% correct. SAID principle (Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demand). The best way to train for an activity is to do the activity.
When you can't practice the SAID principle, you do the best you can, to replicate the anticipated environment.
I agree. The closer you can get to duplicating the actual environment and workload you will be exposed to, the better your body will adapt.

*zap*

WKR
I found it interesting that several NATO studies found that soldiers who did complete body strength training, 2x a week running and 2x a week rucking had significantly more gains @ rucking than other soldiers who were on a cardio/rucking only program.

Last edited:
I found it interesting that several NATO studies found that soldiers who did complete body strength training, 2x a week running and 2x a week rucking had significantly more gains @ rucking than other soldiers who were on a cardio/rucking only program.

I was about to add something similar. Last year on the Hunt Backcountry podcast (I think it was them; I listen to a lot of hunting podcasts), they had the physical fitness instructor from the USMC Mountain Warfare School in the Sierra Nevada.

Long podcast short- He's found the most effective program for building the ability to ruck in the mountains is strength training 2x / week, with the lifting sessions separated by at least two days, run 2x / week and then ruck 1x / week.

Personnel experience here, also echoed by another service member / vet up above- I don't recommend training with a ruck weighing in at more than 1/3 your body weight. Make that 1/3 weight your max training weight, and you should avoid injuries driven by chronic overload. You'll be able to pack out an elk, or carry another heavy load, as a "once off" but don't make the mistake of trying to carry 100 lbs all the time.

*zap*

WKR
At this point my 'heavier' rucks are 1 of every 4 rucks, so one per month done on a treadmill @ 2.5 or greater incline to minimize joint issues due to my tendency to land on the back of the foot @ higher mph speeds. 3 ten minute sets with five minute rest in between and speed @ 3.4 mph currently.

Poser

WKR
I don’t do any “heavy” rucking. I do several overnight scouting trips leading up the season with a typical load out + maybe a beer and a burrito. When it comes time to pack an elk out, I’m relying on the conditioning of the scouting/rucking (including preparing my feet and ankles), but, hauling the exceptionally heavy loads is where the squats and deadlifts deliver their ROI. I don’t see a reason to train that specifically.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my "heavy" rucking is limited to about 50-60-ish lbs- you get plenty of good work w/ a 50 lb pack traversing uneven ground especially adding in some elevation gain/loss (you actually get plenty of good work with a 30 lbs pack!)

for myself, training much heavier just invites injury

if you've done your part training diligently, come "game day" :D you'll be fine with heavier loads (well it will still suck, but you'll be fine :))