Western Fitness

*zap*

WKR
I am not doing training rucks on a trail so injury is really not a worry. The program I am doing combines heavy and lighter rucks and has data and research behind it. I am working to improve my rucking to a higher level.
I would think that if your packing 50# on harder trails in the mountains regularly your already at a very good level of rucking fitness but adding 50% more weight occasionally and doing three 10-12 minutes sets with a rest in between on a road or treadmill @ a higher mph may be a viable option to consider with little risk of injury.
I trust in the program I have started, the data behind it and the structure/incremental gains it lays out.
I do appreciate the opinions on this...

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I am not doing training rucks on a trail so injury is really not a worry. The program I am doing combines heavy and lighter rucks and has data and research behind it. I am working to improve my rucking to a higher level.
I would think that if your packing 50# on harder trails in the mountains regularly your already at a very good level of rucking fitness but adding 50% more weight occasionally and doing three 10-12 minutes sets with a rest in between on a road or treadmill @ a higher mph may be a viable option to consider with little risk of injury.
I trust in the program I have started, the data behind it and the structure/incremental gains it lays out.
I do appreciate the opinions on this...
What is your long term goal? Why are you doing this?

*zap*

WKR
My long term goal is to greatly improve my rucking ability along with my strength, flexibility and mobility or what I consider my general fitness level. I believe that all these things are closely related.
The reason I choose the program I am doing is that it was backed by data/research and was based on regular incremental gains via strength training, cardio and rucking done on a regular basis.
For me, carrying weight has been a weakness and I want to change that.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
My long term goal is to greatly improve my rucking ability along with my strength, flexibility and mobility or what I consider my general fitness level. I believe that all these things are closely related.
The reason I choose the program I am doing is that it was backed by data/research and was based on regular incremental gains via strength training, cardio and rucking done on a regular basis.
For me, carrying weight has been a weakness and I want to change that.
I can totally relate to this. Its not in my genetics to be a load hauler, I've always had to work really hard at it just to be able to keep up. I probably over-trained and went a little too hard for too many years and it has taken a life altering toll on my body. That being said, I digress from negativity. Rucking is an amazing form of fitness, I've seen a big surge in popularity in the past 4 or 5 years, and I hope more companies like Goruck show up and more people get into it. I'm very confident you'll get exactly what you want from your training program. I'm just always cautious when this subject comes up.

*zap*

WKR
Overtraining and burnout is a problem but a longer term/incremental gain program can be a big help with those things. I try to pay attention to how debilitated a workout leaves me and adjust things as I go, this is especially important when doing rucking, strength and cardio all in the same program. Obviously regular rest days and good nutrition is very important. Increasing the volume of workouts will be taxing but that should only be a shorter term issue and is manageable by good planning and extra rest. Advanced age certainly makes it all more challenging.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Overtraining and burnout is a problem but a longer term/incremental gain program can be a big help with those things. I try to pay attention to how debilitated a workout leaves me and adjust things as I go, this is especially important when doing rucking, strength and cardio all in the same program. Obviously regular rest days and good nutrition is very important. Increasing the volume of workouts will be taxing but that should only be a shorter term issue and is manageable by good planning and extra rest. Advanced age certainly makes it all more challenging.
As I've gotten older, it has become very evident that recovery isn't something that gets better with age. I make rest days mandatory for myself. Also utilizing as many tools as possible to aid and assist in the recovery process. Foam roller, lacrosse ball, stretching (I hate this), compex muscle stimulator (I love this), massage gun, protein, and plenty of rest and sleep.

*zap*

WKR
I have found that substantial amounts of quality unsaturated fats greatly improve my recovery times.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't noticed that. Not a big fish or avocado eater though. I have noticed that casein protein over standard whey protein has helped.

*zap*

WKR
I eat raw almond butter out of the jar, ground up walnuts poured over the top of a plain, low fat, low sugar, low carb, high protein yogurt and foil packaged tuna with extra virgin olive oil poured/mixed in. Also raw cashews to much on. Avocados do have a good amount of unsaturated fats and I usually eat one with breakfast but I eat the other things I mentioned for recovery. There is a noticeable decrease in recovery time for me. I also eat eggs after all strength training.

OP
B

bhartman

FNG
I appreciate all the replies. I’ve tapered off a lot of the heavy lifting that I’ve used to do just because of fear of injuries and would rather have more functional fitness.

What do you mean by functional fitness? Specifically how it applies to you?
This is a grossly overused term to get people to hire trainers and do things they have no business doing, in genera;l.

I know majority of making it several days out west is mental toughness. But I figured being physically fit makes the challenge a little easier. Is the best way to simulate out west hunting to ruck a lot or wear a weighted vest on a stair master? What about including an elevation mask into your raining to simulate the thinness of air at particular altitudes. Or are programs like Sheicko with a lot of cardio the better route?

Here's a solid resource! Tire drags for the win.

dr_mateo

FNG
Personally I like to weight my pack down and just start hiking or doing a road march get my legs burning and I hate every minute of it but it gets me over that next ridge during deer and elk season.

HDwild

WKR
Nothing replaces time on your feet, preferably in the mountains. Have seen plenty of tough, strong guys crippled up by blisters.
Agreed. You can be in the best shape of your life but if you don't toughen up your feet by wearing your hiking boots when wet, with elevation gain/loss, and a HEAVY pack now and then, you're probably going to suffer more than the guy who is not in as good of shape but did take the time to toughen his feet.

I've seen men who look like they were made in a lab quit military schools bc they got blisters so bad.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, I also want to improve my physical training. Actually, I gained some extra weight during the winter holidays, besides, I haven't done any workouts for about a month, so I feel that my muscles have become weaker and I have to fix it. By the way, a friend of mine got a weighted vest for Christmas and I want to order the same one. If you have such a vest and you can give me advice on whether it's worth buying, I will appreciate it. This is a website https://fitnessgrit.com/best-weighted-vest-reviews-guide/ where you can find its review.

Last edited: