Western glass options

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve beat up google searching stuff on here lately and want to ask a question I haven’t really seen hit much. Maybe. I live in north Ga and most of my hunting is on thick mountains for whitetail or turkey. I’m looking to go do a diy elk trip this fall. I’m getting a gear list together right now and I’m wondering if I need more glass. Currently I have a pair of slc 8x42. Being as this will likely be one trip a year deal for me and possibly only every other year if I’m lucky would you buy more glass before this fall or use what I have and make due. I’m basically starting from scratch with a lot of the items needed for this trip. Not looking to spot trophy animals really just to know if it’s a bull or not. Would a pair of 15x Bino do me well with my 8x on my chest. Or get a decent spotter? More than likely I won’t ever use the spotter around my area. The 15x may come in handy some. Or just make due with the 8s.

Sled

WKR
what type of terrain are you hunting and how do you plan on hunting? if most of your glassing is sub 1 mile then you're good as is. same if you're still hunting the woods. if i'm in open country i like to have a compact spotter when in the field. from the truck i'll run a larger 85mm objective when scouting or spot and stalk.

Blackbird

FNG
If you can afford it higher powered glass that will benefit you at home and in the west would make more sense to me rather than buying a spotter you won't be able to use at home. Good 15's on a tripod should let you know if something is a bull or not for sure.

OP
Millwood21

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
Probably going to be Colorado. No idea of the terrain I’ll be hunting there just yet. Havent got into much of researching the maps yet. Will be a archery hunt tho.

Grab a tripod, Outdoorsman stud and adapter (less $ than the Swarovski equivalent), and a head. You do not need to spend a fortune on this front. Don't buy "cheap" though. Then glass away with you SLC 8s. Clarity of glass is more important that magnification. There are no concerns about your SLC's clarity.

Spend the other money on getting the gear that you do need. If it is a "net new" item try to find a product that works for out west as well as where you regularly hunt. Buying speciality equipment for rare occasions gets expensive and is not necessarily the best use of your money.

Get a hunt under your belt and reassess the situation.

So here's my take on glass for western hunts after 6 seasons in CO...

Your 8x42 SLC's will most likely be all you need or use, provided you have a good tripod/window mount setup for it.

If you're a point counter, then add a lightweight spotter for the trail or a standard spotter for the truck. It really comes down to where you think you'll be using the glass as to how light your spotter needs to be.

I'm not a point counter, so my 8x32 Conquests get 99% of the work. Last October, I glassed up a small herd of elk on a slope almost 5 miles away with nothing more than those 8x32 conquests. You can do the same with your 8x SLC's if you have them on good steady support.

Three years ago I verified legal bulls (4+ points) from 2.4 miles away with nothing more than a good pair of 10x bins on a tripod mount. My buddy killed one the next day based on what we saw through those bins.

My advice is just use what you have with a tripod/window mount setup for one season, then re-evaluate.

OP
Millwood21

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the slik 634 tripod and maybe the VA 5. That be a good option or is there something else I should take a look at. They seem to be decently priced compared to the outdoorsman I seen.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I've had lots of different glass over the years, and enjoy tinkering with my setup. My "best" among all that has been the 8x (SLCs), 10x (SLCs), 12x (ELs), 15x (Meostar HD), and Meopta S2 30-60WA spotter.

Currently I only have 8x42 SLCs, 15x56 Meostar HDs, and a Cabela's Euro spotter (rebadged Meopta S2). And typically the spotter never goes off-road.

If I could keep just one of ALL the binos I've had in the past (including the venerated 12x50 EL) I think it would be the 8x42 SLC (2011 HD or newer). They're great handheld, and amazing on a tripod.

Depending on budget, maybe get a solid lightweight tripod setup first, then consider quality 15x binos.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the slik 634 tripod and maybe the VA 5. That be a good option or is there something else I should take a look at. They seem to be decently priced compared to the outdoorsman I seen.
That's a pretty solid pick. Then something like the Outdoorsmans bino adaptor and stud. I really like the VA5 head.

I'd give the Cameraland guys a call to see about a Sirui tripod and VA5 head combo!

OP
Millwood21

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
That's a pretty solid pick. Then something like the Outdoorsmans bino adaptor and stud. I really like the VA5 head.

I'd give the Cameraland guys a call to see about a Sirui tripod and VA5 head combo!

Luckily I have the stud just need the adapter. I think I seen that setup yesterday on camera land. 299 total package I think it was? I’ll look into that one also.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Outdoorsman adapter. But that's all I'm willing to buy from them. Their tripod and head prices are absolutely outrageous. Go to B&H Photo and get a good quality tripod and head. I use a small Bogen/Manfrotto ball head and it's been all I need for years and probably will be all I ever need. My trail tripod I got off Amazon for $30 and it's perfectly fine. My truck tripod is an old but good carbon fiber tripod I also use for my big camera lens, but I rarely use it. Anytime I'm at my truck I have my glass on a window mount. I'd say 95% of my glassing is done on that window mount or that little trail tripod, while sitting down on a high spot.

Blackbird

FNG

I picked this sirui tripod head combo up from cameraland and I am very happy with it.

Sled

WKR
I've been thinking of trying the vortex ss-p for a lite weight packable tripod. At only 2lbs with a pan head it's enticing. The price is realistic too.

I got this exact combo last year with an outdoorsmans adapter. Solid setup indeed. VA 5 head is super smooth and the slik tripod worked great for me sitting or standing. It was plenty sturdy and light enough to pack everywhere. I was using low grade 10x binos and they did me just fine for all my hunts (although I’m looking to upgrade glass this year). I hunted all over Idaho and Montana with that setup. Only complaint was the low light hours and sub-par glass. I think with your 8x slc and a tripod you’ll be happy

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is for the 15x binos only if you can afford it and all your other gear is where you want it. 8x binos on a tripod are plenty. I have high end 8x binos mid range 15x and a mid-range spotter. The 15s and spotter rarely make it in my pack and I don't feel I miss a whole lot with the 8s. Get a decent tripod and good head and your slc's will amaze you. I do plan on upgrading to higher end 15s this year but I think it's more of a luxury then a need so I waited till everything else was where I wanted it

bird35

FNG
I think you would be fine with your 8x42. I live and hunt in Idaho. I mostly carry either 8 or 10x binoculars and a spotter. Last year i bought a pair of Leupold bx5 15x thinking i would transition from the spotter to them but ended up only using them twice and the spotter about the same. In your situation it sounds like you would be better off with 15x or higher binoculars if you would still be able to use them at home after your hunt. I generally only pull the spotter out if i am wanting to make sure it is a bull i want to get after. I can pretty much always confirm if it is a cow or a bull with just my 8 or 10x binos.

OP
Millwood21

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to revive this thread instead of starting a new one to see what the thoughts are on 12x binos. I went on my hunt with the 8x slc and they worked fine for the terrain. We never really got anywhere where you were able to glass long ranges. I’m sure if I continue to hunt the west every year I will eventually want more than 8s. I’ve been putting in for the az draw a few years now. And considering doing some mule deer hunts as well. I’m wanting to start saving for a new pair of optics. Since I tree stand hunt 98% of my time I believe I want to keep the 8s for that situation. I’ve read a lot of posts comparing the 12x to the 15x.
My question is would say the 12x el be a better investment than the 15x slc since I have the 8s already. Or are the 8 and 12s to close to consider dropping that kind of money. I don’t want to carry two pair of bino. So I would either carry the 8x or the 12x/15x on hunts where one or the other would be better. Also considered in the upcoming years investing in a spotter.
Given that I have the 8s now would it be better to pick up the spotter before picking up say a pair of 12 el.
Would my 8s and a spotter be better than 12s and a spotter? Would buying 12el first be smarter move. So many glassing options and combos out there in really torn on which way to go about buying glass to fill in the blanks.
Sorry if my post is kind of all over the place.

The outdoorsman’s bino adapter is better, but on a tight budget I’d look at the staoptics adapter off Amazon. It’s $15 and works fine! We’ve had a few in our circle with the only issue being one time the staoptics wouldn’t allow my wife to push the barrels together close enough with one of the pairs of binos. I like my outdoorsman’s adapter better, but it’s also like $80 more I think