Western hunter going to the tree stand.... help me!

OP
bguitierez
I run a summit open front...17lbs. I also suggest packing a small limb saw...for some reason it never fails I find the perfect tree and there is always on or 2 limbs in my way on the climb up. Or a hanging limb blocking my view. I also like the screw into bow holders..As far as harnesses..I like the small thin one that came with my stand or something like it..I used to use the HSS vests but the are just too bulky for me.

Oh yes. Little saws are way important. Shoot I use my old folding bone saw form the first processing kit I ever purchased to saw limbs when I set cameras. Haha. Hearing lots of guys say the close front for my novice behind is probably the best way. I won’t be packing the stands over long crappy trails. So weight is not such a bad thing. Comfort is definitely a priority. What is it like shooting out of a tree stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
I like Ol' Man Grand Multi-Vision climbers and Lone Wolf lock ons. Lock ons are great for the lightweight, portability of hang and hunt type sets. I ditched the full body harness a couple of years ago for a rock climbing harness. It's a much safer option.

Dang that’s cool! Used climbing harnesses in the military. So if I were to use that and fall then the rope attaches to my ass correct? The way the hunting rigs look if I have a mishap then I’ll de dangling from my shoulders. Or do I have it backwards?

OP
bguitierez
Summit Viper for comfort and ease of use unless you’re a big guy like me then the Goliath model.
Hang on stands are nice if you have a particular spot but hang on stands and climbing sticks are a pita to move all the time.

Well with a name like that I guess hahahaha. I’m a medium dude. 5’1” 175. I’ve seen dudes pushing viper a bunch. Noticing a trend here haha. Thanks bro

OP
bguitierez
Saddle or a lone wolf/millennium with stick. Both of those will be a lot more compact than a climber and quieter too. I started saddle hunting last year and love it. Still have a millennium m7 as well. I still have a summit climber but I doubt ill ever use it again

What’s the saddle thing all about? Is that what those hunting public dudes are running in MO?

OP
bguitierez
I’ve got a Summit Open Shot that’s under 12 lbs, and if you put a netted seat on it, you can shave it down some more. It’s a bit too minimal for some people, but I like it well enough. I would recommend it if you value portability as much as or more than comfort. If comfort more, look into the Viper as others have said.

I recently picked up a used X Stand that’s like 9 lbs. Haven’t used it as much, but it seems as comfortable as the Summit for a few pounds less. I’ve seen folks claim it’s unsafe, but if you make sure the clasp closes securely when attaching, it’s fine.

I just use the crappy harnesses that come with stands when you buy them, so I don’t have any advice there.

The best thing I’ve done for comfort is add a bow holder! It’s worth a little more weight for me.

I’m definitely gonna need a bow holder man!

OP
bguitierez
I caught a Lomé wolf climber on sale. Happy to the extent I use it.

Consider buying some sticks and a climber. Gives you the option to hang it with some practice.

DO NOT skimp on safety. Worth the cost and weight. Big fan of life lines. I prefer a rock climbing harness to a full body for mobile stand set ups.

Certainly not a safety skipper. No way.

RobertsA

FNG
If you’re going to be moving your set up a lot I would go with a tree climber. If you’re sticking to one spot then tree steps and a lock on Would work. I’ve used many climbers Hunting white tail in the southeast and the best climber imo is the summit viper.

stump06

WKR
What’s the saddle thing all about? Is that what those hunting public dudes are running in MO?

Yea, there's a couple different companies that make them and they all make quality stuff. Its a deeeeeeeep rabbit hole, there's tons of videos on youtube that will show you everything you need to know.

hoff1ck

WKR
Nothing wrong with climbers, but they're almost obsolete anymore with how light and efficient a good set of sticks and a hang on are. With some practice, you can be up any hangable tree in minutes. I'm a big fan of the rope cam system for sticks, been using Muddy sticks for years. You can also mod other brands with the rope cam system, but that's another rabbit hole. Lone Wolf is super nice for a hang on stand. I wouldn't rule out an older style Muddy stand or the XOP vanish either. Added a vanish to my arsenal last year and it is super nice. Whatever you decide, good luck. Treestand setups certainly have their place.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Dang that’s cool! Used climbing harnesses in the military. So if I were to use that and fall then the rope attaches to my ass correct? The way the hunting rigs look if I have a mishap then I’ll de dangling from my shoulders. Or do I have it backwards?

The full body harness would have you dangling from behind your shoulders. It kind of pushes you forward, making self recovery difficult. This type of harness can also cause suspension trauma.

The rock climbing harness attaches in the front at the waist. It makes for easier self recovery and won't cause suspension trauma.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
my Thoughts as a Midwest whitetail guy. I’ve been using LW hang on and sticks since 06. Add molle waist and should belts, bungie sticks, pack, extra gear, and you can go anywhere. Older Lw stand= 8.5lbs, sticks are at 2.2lbs each, weight adds up.

Now, go to the saddle. These are sweet. They do take some getting used to, but light, and easy to take in. More companies are getting into the game, so there are more options. Saddlehunter.com will get you more than you need to know. I’m running the areo hunter flex, with a Ros (ring of steps). The flex, ROS, and tether and linesman belt comes in at about 6.5 lbs. add in how many sticks and it’s a nice alternative. You can take one stick with an aider, and climb as high as you want. This could be an awesome option out west where you are going up/down and far in. There are different platforms you can use as well, tethrd has the predator which comes in at 3lbs, and is a nice option for guys coming into saddle hunting. Best to ya in figuring it out. Skip the climbers, to many other options that will let you hunt any tree vs just a straight limbless one.

Saddle or a lone wolf/millennium with stick. Both of those will be a lot more compact than a climber and quieter too. I started saddle hunting last year and love it. Still have a millennium m7 as well. I still have a summit climber but I doubt ill ever use it again

I second the Millennium brand. Mine is like a lazy boy in a tree. Dead silent also.

BravoKilo

FNG
What’s the saddle thing all about?

A rabbit hole indeed, and one I'm just venturing down this season myself. A ton of different options for climbing the tree, as well as which harness/saddle you use while in the tree, but in general these are great for run-and-gun hunting given their overall light weight. I have yet to see how it fares in the woods this year, but I'm going for a super light setup which includes a Tethrd Mantis saddle, Predator platform (3lb 5 oz), and only 4 Wild Edge steps (15 ounces each)... with the use of a Black Diamond aider and a "knaider" I should be able to get to 20-25 feet easily.

As for stands, I've tried a few over the years and have been a huge fan of Treewalker treestands and don't see myself going back to any others. The only downfall is the overall footprint is larger than others, so hiking through thicker brush can be annoying. That being said, the large footprint makes it exponentially more comfortable than the LW stands and the like and still weighs between 17-18 pounds I believe

My summit razor sd is super light weight but i added a third hand archery sling/net seat and a bow holder. Amazing lightweight and super comfortable

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oh yes. Little saws are way important. Shoot I use my old folding bone saw form the first processing kit I ever purchased to saw limbs when I set cameras. Haha. Hearing lots of guys say the close front for my novice behind is probably the best way. I won’t be packing the stands over long crappy trails. So weight is not such a bad thing. Comfort is definitely a priority. What is it like shooting out of a tree stand?

I keep an old medal folding chair out by practice range and practice shooting a lot sitting down. In the tree I hold just a touch lower than you would on the ground...When I first started bow hunting in a stand I ran a Keller Pendulum site to help with that...YMMV
I also rotate my stand a little when I get up there so my left shoulder, shoot right handed, is facing deer trail. This way the tree isn't cutting out half my shot radius.
Good Luck!