Western hunting basics.First lite, Kuiu, Sitka

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
Right now I’m trying to get a basic set of clothing for western elk, deer, and antelope hunting. Can’t decide between corrugate guide pants, Kuiu attack, or timberline game pants to cover as much of the season as possible and could use some advice on which to get.

Corrugates and attacks are kinda heavy for early season. I like prana zions in September. As the weather changes and cools off I go to the corrugates. First lite just came out with a new lighter version of the corrugates for early season too. I beat up my pants pretty bad and they’ve held up well. I’ve heard the timberlines are more of a late season but have no experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
Hip vents are awesome on the attack’s. Not sure why every brand doesn’t have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s for the info, they’re tempting especially considering the price point va the timberline pants.

I have the attack pants but I like the prana zions better. Plus they are quite a bit cheaper and can be found on sale for $50 usually.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:
If you are looking for one pant to cover the widest range of conditions the Kuiu Attack is absolutely the best choice with the hip vents. I've worn mine into the teens with base layer and up into the 80's, Now they are not ideal at the temperature extremes but they work and you are not miserable. The corrugate guide is a warm pant and 50-60's you want to be in a short sleeve tee shirt. I haven't been impressed with the DWR on the corrugates either. Timberlines you will be flat miserable in with any kind of heat. The mountain pants are also not good in the heat or when working hard.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I wear either Corrugate Guide or Obsidian from freezing up to about 70F, depending on how quiet I need to be. I'll be switching to the new Guide Lite pants above that this year - it gets above 100F in August where I hunt.

Neither are rain pants and DWR wears out with abrasion and time - I carry Marmot PreCip full zips or KUIU Yukons for "real" rain.

I only use Timberlines when the highs are below freezing - think late season NV muley. In conjunction with a 200g merino base layer, I've been down below 0F in those and been just fine. They're heavy and pretty decent at keeping the wet out, but not worth slogging around in if you don't have to. That said, my hunting partner runs cold and wears them in the mid-season (highs in the 50s). YMMV of course.

I tend to run hot and I’m fine in my Timberlines into maybe the high 50s/low 60s while hiking. Beyond that they’re too warm. Most people on the boards seem to think they’re too hot for those temps, so take my personal use with a grain of salt. The Attack Pants to me are a similar fabric weight, but agreed with the posters above that the hip vents add versatility.

I like to say that you can always add more layers, but you can’t always take more off. If you’re only buying one pair, I’d buy for the warmest conditions you’ll use them in and get good base layers for cooler conditions.

tntrker

WKR
Very pleased with my Timberlines. I didn't think I'd like or use the padded knees, until I had to belly crawl 50 yrds. I understand why they are an option and GLAD I left them in.

Very pleased with my Timberlines. I didn't think I'd like or use the padded knees, until I had to belly crawl 50 yrds. I understand why they are an option and GLAD I left them in.
Similar experience for me. I meant to take the knee pads out on an aoudad hunt last weekend and forgot, but after just kneeling to glass on rocky ridges last weekend my knees were much happier in my Timberlines than my other hunting pants that didn't have the knee pads. You pretty much forget they're there after you've gotten used to them.

I have and use all three.

FL Guides are good. Mine are a couple of years old and holding up well. Fit is roomy and they breath well. I would say they are the best hot weather option of the 3 and can do colder weather with a base layer.

Kuiu attacks - middle of the road in terms of weight and warmth. Best all around. Currently my favorite pant for 70 and below. They vent well and stretch well. If I were picking one of the 3 it would be these guys. Not sure how you are built, but I have to go up a size to get room for my thighs and ass.

Timberlines - my favorite late season when there is snow or wet weather. They are burly, heavy and keep me very comfortable. They are the same material as the Sitka mountain pants but you lose some breathability with the knee and butt cordura panels. So they get warm in high temps and don’t vent as well a the kuiu. Also aren’t cheap, but they deliver.

If you are looking for a do all pant, i think the attack the attack is the winner of your 3. Factor in the price point and it is a no brainer. Only gripe is they don’t have knee pads. If you want knee protection and don’t mind paying a bit more look at the sitka mountain pants - lighter than the timberlines - or the new kuiu pro pants - basically attacks with knee pads. I have a review of mine on here somewhere.

prm

WKR
Honestly any good, comfortable hiking pants are fine. The same Prana Zions I wear around the house are what I wear hunting. Get whatever fits you the best.