Western Hunting Expo vs Sheep Show - First Timer

robie

WKR
I've been tossing around the idea of flying out for one of the shows this year and was curious for a first timer which would be the better option?

Who's been to both and which do they like more? I would most likely only stay for one night, at max two.

The draws for both interest me, but I'm curious is there really any difference walking the show?

Draw differences I'm aware of:
Western Hunting - NonResident Draws
Sheep Show - <1 Draws for Sheep and Mountain Goat

CorbLand

WKR
Never been to sheep show. I will go one day. If I had the choice I would go to the Sheep Show.

I have been to the WH Expo for a couple years and its fun but after about 4 hours I am bored and ready to go. I wouldnt go if it was more than a couple hour drive for me.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been to both and will be at both this year. Wild sheep isn’t as big as Western Hunt as far as how many booths. I would say there’s also far more attendees in Salt Lake. More companies attend Western Hunt so more products to look at and it’s also larger this year than last year. They’re both a good time and you cannot go wrong. Go to their websites and pull up the exhibitor floor plan to get an idea of size and who all will be there for companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Hadn't considered SCI, I was told it is great if looking for an outfitter. What makes one better than the other?

Really no comparison, It's the worlds biggest outdoor/hunting show,people offering hunts and products from all over the planet.It will literally take days to see everything,the number of animal mounts alone take up more space than the entire Western expo.
If all you want to see is North American game then go to the expo.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m not really an “SCI” guy but I have been to that show a few times and there is absolutely nothing that can compare to it. It is amazing and worth the trip for just the taxidermy alone. It is hard to describe how big and incredibly impressive it is.

Sheep show is great if you are a sheep guy. Have not been to the Western but am looking forward to seeing that one soon.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Thank you for the breakdown.

SCI interest me for Ibex and Tur.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

If flyng out, go to SCI. No questions asked. It's at least 5 times bigger than the show in Salt Lake.

I went to both last year. Spent 2 days walking around SCI and didn't see everything. Spent 2 hours in Salt Lake and saw everything.

I like British rifles and loved stopping by the Rigby, Holland & Holland, and Boss booths. Lots of history at the Rigby booth.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve attended most of the big shows at one time or another. My favorite is Wild Sheep, but I’m a sheep guy. SCI is actually too big for my liking. Grand Slam is dwindling, P&Y is awesome if you’re a Bowhunter and the Western is a nice mix of everything.