Western Hunting losing it's appeal

I think more and more it will move the money from the points pool to the raffle tag opportunities.
You can apply for 20 years and maybe pull an OIL elk tag, or put in for raffles and maybe get the tag much sooner.

OP
H

hntr

FNG
I have been putting in for Elk, deer, pronghorn, and bear in Colorado and Wyoming just FYI. (well aware I can put in for other things than elk) Pronghorn and bear I think they is definitely a lot of access to NR. Deer it seems can get as bad as elk in some areas, but ya the main pont to the thread is elk.

These threads crack me up. The OP could have had three above average elk hunts in Wyoming already instead he is holding out for a unit that he probably read about it and won't be the same by the time he draws. Tag costs are going up so is everything else but it is funny to see guys gripe about 1000 dollar elk tags when your driving a 60,000 truck and towing a 20,000 razor behind it. I'll keep hunting and filling tags until I can't physically go anymore which will be a long time.

The op could have hunted Elk several times while still building points.

If a NR wants to hunt Elk in WY and isn't, it's their own fault. They may not all have antlers but if you want to hunt the opportunity is there.
You have to consider the entire trip cost. Guys will spend thousands on a western elk hunt. It’s a lot to swallow for a cow tag.
Lots different for folks that drive a few hours to hunt cows.

Carr5vols

WKR
I agree with Op, being from the south the scenery is worth the trip each year. If I can't draw big game tags I will still go and hunt but it will be for small game or wolves or ??? I look forward to the trip enough to just be there.

Lots of huntable animals in the mountains during big game season...imagine if a lot of non residents that don't get tags start going into the mountains to start hunting small game during big game seasons that will royally mess up some hunts for residents...I personally would not do this but I have come in contact with a lot of people that would.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It has been said before but change what you hunt. I get that elk have a prestige to them. Go out west and hunt something else. For me that has been bears. Tons of access, cheap tags, still tough to hunt. For me being out west is being alone in the mountains, fly fishing streams, and backpack hunting. Elk is definitely a rich man's game. Pay enough money and a good guide will give you your bull.

BuzzH

WKR
If you really want to keep coming out west maybe start hunting for less desirable animals like bears? They’re not elk but are fun to hunt and in Idaho you can get two tags.
Or wolves...that everyone complains about and are apparently behind every tree and sagebrush in ID, MT, and WY.

Should be a slam dunk type hunt.

Elkfever4

FNG
I love to hunt as much as the next guy, but I have never felt the urge to throw money into a out of state hunt every year. Seems like that’s what people are thinking they have to do. It’s seems like there trying to replicate what they see and hear from the pros. I have one hunt I want to do out of state and that will probably be in ten years. Black bear in Alaska, nothing fancy or crazy or even all that expensive.Other then that I just try to master what I have available in my state.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I will throw this out there for discussion: Some say because the state owns the wildlife, they owe NR nothing. Sounds logical. However, the NR funds a significant amount of the Game and Fish agencies. So does that entitle them to something, some say, in your opinion?

If you say no, that is okay, but then what if the NR bands together and boycotts a state? Can't happen? One word: Gamestop.

My opinion: Likely to happen? No. Possible? Yes.

As an Okie just now diving into western hunt planning, this is all very interesting to read. I’m not surprised that I may have missed some kind of golden age of hunting the west, but it does seem like opportunities still exist, they just take more work and/or money.
I want a bull elk one day, but if necessary I have no problem chasing cows if that’s what i have to do to get in the mountains.

Opportunity/quality is decreasing but I don’t agree with the wo is me original post. The OP could have had 3 quality hunts in WY by now. Nobody is preventing you from moving to a western state and getting the benefit side of NR “getting shafted”.

For the last 6 years, MT has graced me with the opportunity to hunt elk in most of the state for 9 weeks each fall. I could have just as well hunted 1 or 2 bulls in Idaho for years. All the while building points for opportunity in WY, AZ, CO and taking pop shots at NM. There is more opportunity than I have time for in just elk hunting. When deer, antelope, wolves, and bear are thrown in there is way more than I’ll ever find the time to enjoy.

If anything CO residents get the shaft by all the opportunity given to NR. I have about the same odds as a resident with my points to draw the tag I’m going to put in for.

I will throw this out there for discussion: Some say because the state owns the wildlife, they owe NR nothing. Sounds logical. However, the NR funds a significant amount of the Game and Fish agencies. So does that entitle them to something, some say, in your opinion?

If you say no, that is okay, but then what if the NR bands together and boycotts a state? Can't happen? One word: Gamestop.

Your silly. Acting like hunters would ever actually band together. LOL!!!

Half would boycott and the other half would buy tags and celebrate the good fortune.

Your silly. Acting like hunters would ever actually band together. LOL!!!

Half would boycott and the other half would buy tags and celebrate the good fortune.

Depends on reasoning for the boycott. If you are boycotting because you feel entitled to hunt animals in a state just as soon as residents or before those who have been invested longer than you.. yeah, I’d encourage all you righteous folks to show these states who pays their bills. I will take the better odds 😂

That said, Utah is about the only state I haven’t seen a need to spend money on and a lot of it has to do with politics in the division of wildlife. But their coffers still don’t seem to be hurting for NR applicants.

CorbLand

WKR

I agree that the majority of a states F&G are a funded by NR and if the benefit of hunting that state as a NR are not up to the costs, they should go somewhere else.

Nobody is entitled to anything in a state they don't reside in. Now, do I think that NR should voice their opinions with that state? Absolutely. I sent an email to Montana with the proposed guaranteed tags to guides law saying that I would like to hunt their state but cannot afford a guide so this would make it harder for me to hunt their state. Its Montana's choice though and if they decrease opportunity for NR, so be it. I will look somewhere else. That is the only thing I am "entitled" to as a NR of states.

I will probably have to do the same thing with Wyoming as it looks like they may be making some changes but its still Wyoming's choice. This is one of the reasons that I really hate points systems. People get some points in a state, then they feel that they are entitled to something and states have basically set the hook on you. They can jerk you around because you are already invested.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I love to be in the mountains hunting elk. I will continue to do so. Western hunting is starting to go the way of the WT where a "trophy" or quality animal is taking the place of just an animal. For the trophy guys it is just going to keep getting worse and more expensive.

Nothing wrong with being a trophy hunter. In the near future that is going to greatly limit your opportunity and also hit you in the pocket book. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Like everything in life it is about choices.

I'd rather hunt elk every year and not have a care as to what is on the top of their head. I also realize not everyone else sees it that way.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'll be 65 in April. I've been hunting in the northeast almost my entire life. Went on my first elk hunt in 2017. It was a DIY in Colorado. 2019 a guided hunt in Wyoming and last year got bounced from the unit we were going to hunt because of the fires so hunted DIY in a OTC unit. I do see the OP's point but I have a passion for the outdoors and hunting and fishing and I can't afford to not hunt for a year. Although by most 65 years olds standards im probability in good shape I see where my abilities have slipped over the past several years so between being a broken down valise and waiting for the other shoe to drop I have to hunt. Still haven't shot an elk but when I put my mind to something, for the most part it eventually happens. Planning to be in Colorado again this year. May even take up the bow again and do a guided bow hunt. That seems like the pinnacle of elk hunting but first I'd like to get one during rifle season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Man, this is a great conversation and one I'm glad we're all having. There is no sign of nonresident hunter interest decreasing anywhere in the West. If there is, I would really appreciate you sending 'er along because I've looked for it.

Additionally, NR's don't have the sway over the G & F departments unlike it may seem logical to assume. While NR's do pay the majority of Sportsmen's dollars to the departments, many get a ton of funding from their legislature's budgets and Pittman Robertson and Dingell Johnson dollars. I'm seeing residents of each state leaning on their own representatives to make the changes to Game and Fish allocation and pricing to try and reduce the nonresident participation largely because there is no elasticity in the demand. If prices go up, people are paying it. If hunter opportunity goes down, people are still applying for preference points.

Final thought, I wish we would just appreciate going hunting for hunting's sake. If you hunt a crowded unit, or one with little to no game, or not many of the critters you're looking for it just makes that trophy all the sweeter. I live in a great state. I hunt in others each year. If you ask me to wait for a "trophy unit" or stay home, I'll see you on the mountain every time.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the OP in that western hunting is losing its appeal. Too expensive and too many people for my taste to go along with a decline in the experience. I'm sure I could still pull off quality experiences as several have pointed out, but those options are declining every years as well.

I do not agree with the OP that states in which I am a non-resident owe me anything. They are free to manage their state they way they and their residents choose too (until the last few legislative sessions anyway) just as I am free to spend my money elsewhere.

The idea to hunt less popular game is something I and my group of hunting buddies have discussed quite a bit and have started to do. We used to go to Wyoming every year. We haven't been in 5 years. We will likely go one more time to burn our antelope and deer points.

We have started hunting pheasants, grouse, ducks, rabbits, and does in the three states we all live in. We can do that all here on public land in the Midwest with little competition and have a great time.