Western Hunting losing it's appeal

FLAK

WKR
I agree with the OP.
I apply in one Western state, and I have one foot out the
door on that one.
Lots of other options that dont require the $$ and jumping
through the flaming hoops.

Western states remind me of that good looking High School girl that thinks she's hotter than she really is. Sure, she's nice looking but aint worth putting up with her crap. She aint "all that".

Rob5589

WKR
NR should have a much larger voice than they do; fewer in number but more in revenue. But that is a result of NR choosing to be voiceless. How many NR really pay any attn to the F&G changes in the states they hunt in? Or pay attn to states they don't hunt? States know that they have NR "by the shorthairs" so to speak and will do whatever they desire, until NR finally stand up and say enough. Or at a minimum, make their opinions heard and taken seriously.

As a NR, people better start paying attn and contacting the F&G depts regarding proposals in fees, tag quotas, etc. That or the only NR hunting will be done with a guide and/or 10000.00+ land owner tags.

The other option is to move to a state where you can elk/deer/lopes hunt every year.

I see all sides of this, I'm 34, have 3 young kids with all the joyous activities they do, and have a wife that decided a masters wasn't enough so doctorate here we come!!! In other words money flows out in all directions so tag increases feel like a punch below the belt at times. . .

That being said, I'm about 4 months away from my financial house being in order with debt paid off outside of my mortgage (maybe 1 month if the Dems send me more covid "relief"). Hunting is a priority for me, so I currently drive an 06 chevy with 230,000 miles (savings of $650/month), I golf occasionally but don't have a membership (savings of 700/year), I quit buying season tickets to football games (partially because the Huskers have sucked for awhile but I digress . . . Savings $1000/year), I drink occasionally with friends. But don't go to bars (call it $50 saved per/month). . . I also am buying some rental properties here and there (+$300/month way more when you consider the tax savings from depreciation), and perform some odd jobs for side cash when I want. Certainly some of this money saved and earned flows into my family living costs (3 wonderful days of wrestling and gymnastics tournaments this weekend!!!😭), But overall when I want to go on a hunt I have the money set aside and I go do it.

As others have said, there are lots of species to hunt, but just like most things in life, If you really want to make something happen you will find a way!

So this whole rambling post to say, if you want to hunt elk, decide if you want to do that more than other things in your life and make the applicable changes! Or go find a higher paying job, lower cost house, or whatever you need to do so you can keep chasing the dream! (The dream is bugling bulls, don't let your wife convince you otherwise!!!)

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is gonna start quite the controversy. I am from Missouri and have been hunting out west a few times. Colorado seems so over hunted on elk over the counter. Takes forever to draw a trophy unit or even a decent unit with good odds. I've been putting in for Wyoming elk for 10+ years and the with the point creep it looks like it will be over 15 before I can draw my desired unit. (My dad and his buddies uses to hunt it every other year). Wyoming keeps limiting non resident tags. Most other states are lotteries and who knows when you will draw there. Seems like to me I'm almost wasting money putting in for draws. To me western hunting has turned into a rich man/patient man's game and losing it's appeal. Makes a Midwesterner think I am better off saving up for outfitter tags, hunt Alaska, and just take trips whitetail hunting and upland bird. I know some people will tell me to stop crying, etc. I'm just stating the facts we all pay taxes for this land and us non residents are getting absolutely shafted.
I have noticed an appeal loss myself. A big contributing factor I see is the monetization of wildlife/hunting through all forms of social media. This has increased the visibility exponentially and greatly contributed to crazy point creep and resource demand. A perfect example is limited quota OTC units now selling out in SECONDS.

Heck, look at what happened to shed hunting the last 5-10 years! It's embarrassing agencies need to consider shed hunting season. Also, hoards of guides helping folks that buy "conservation" tags and scams like the "Hunt Expo" where a public resource makes private companies like SFW/MDF wealthy without real accountability are equally embarrassing.

Additional factors that have furthered the appeal loss include price increases, game agencies continuously moving the goal posts with rule/quota changes, non-resident hunter disdain (in person and on-line).

I have 10 or 11 deer points in CO and will probably just let them expire since they changed the rules lately. I'd rather hunt a crappy general archery tag locally. Heck, if I could trade my 12 Wyoming elk points for 1 favorite capped OTC tag in Idaho, I'd do it today.

Last edited:

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
I have tired of the tag chase, and the non-res money grab for unissued tags when you're not drawn. I'll put that money towards paying for my land taxes in my home state and call it good. That and hunt outside my state when the tag is over the counter. Have a moose trip in Alberta sitting in wait for when the border opens.

Funny, I had a similar conversation with my father in law over the weekend as we were discussing our options for a fall deer hunt. He's hunted all over the west and AK but mostly in the 80's and 90's, I am an adult onset hunter and have never hunted out of CA.

He's pushing 80, I would rather have annual deer camp with him and the grandkids in our "reliable" zone then wait 10+ years to draw a great zone out of state. YMMV.

ODB

WKR
I have noticed an appeal loss myself. A big contributing factor I see is the monetization of wildlife/hunting through all forms of social media. This has increased the visibility exponentially and greatly contributed to crazy point creep and resource demand. A perfect example is limited quota OTC units now selling out in SECONDS.

Heck, look at what happened to shed hunting the last 5-10 years! It's embarrassing agencies need to consider shed hunting season.

Additional factors that have furthered the appeal loss include price increases, game agencies continuously moving the goal posts with rule/quota changes, non-resident hunter disdain (in person and on-line).

I have 10 or 11 deer points in CO and will probably just let them expire since they changed the rules lately. I'd rather hunt a crappy general archery tag locally. Heck, if I could trade my 12 Wyoming elk points for 1 favorite capped OTC tag in Idaho, I'd do it today.

This is what Matt Rinella’s DDD was all about... Demonitize, Deglorify, Depublicize...

Ratbeetle

WKR
All I know is that for about $6ish/lb, I can put a couple hundred pounds of some of the finest grass fed and finished beef in the world in my freezer. I can't imagine paying NR fees for the "experience" of coming out west to hunt without a reasonable chance at taking an animal. Experience gets thrown about in these conversations a bunch, but let's be honest...the vast majority of us are out there with the primary focus of taking an animal.

If it is really just about the experience, there is nothing stopping a guy from leaving his bow or rifle at home and backpacking into the finest units in the west during the fall. You can stalk into range of the largest buck, bull or ram you can find and shoot all the pictures you want. No seasons, no limits...just all the experience you can handle. Fill your pack with rocks and experience the pack out while you're at it!!

But of course no one is doing this for free, let alone for $1-2k. So it really must not be about the experience after all. So I understand the NR frustrations. They see tag prices going up and allocations going down. And if you believe the harvest stats, in many units the realistic opportunity of taking an animal just doesn't line up with the amount of cash the NR has to put on the table. Everyone loves those NR dollars but hates those NR license plates...and if I'm honest, myself included.

Elkfever4

FNG
I agree with the OP in that western hunting is losing its appeal. Too expensive and too many people for my taste to go along with a decline in the experience. I'm sure I could still pull off quality experiences as several have pointed out, but those options are declining every years as well.

I do not agree with the OP that states in which I am a non-resident owe me anything. They are free to manage their state they way they and their residents choose too (until the last few legislative sessions anyway) just as I am free to spend my money elsewhere.

The idea to hunt less popular game is something I and my group of hunting buddies have discussed quite a bit and have started to do. We used to go to Wyoming every year. We haven't been in 5 years. We will likely go one more time to burn our antelope and deer points.

We have started hunting pheasants, grouse, ducks, rabbits, and does in the three states we all live in. We can do that all here on public land in the Midwest with little competition and have a great time.
You stole the words right out of my finger tips. Really liked the part about hunting less popular game. That’s what we do. We get more variety, of tastes and experiences. Plus there’s a ton of untapped resources out there with a lot less competition,if you are willing to step outside the box. We do everything , crab, fish, birds, small game like rabbits , big game, and even mushrooms. There’s glory in it all when your having fun and bringing home dinner.

Slugz

WKR
Its alot easier to complain. Human nature. Im a glass half full type of guy. These hunting forums sometimes bring out the worst in people.

If hunting and fishing is your priority in life then move out here. Simple as that. I did.
If you dont agree to the "hoops" "money" etc etc etc things. Then dont get in your truck and come out here. I dont think western hunting is losing its appeal at all. There seems to be a pretty big demand for it.

As far as residents go. Sorry guys. If you live out here and dont think its good times. Then we disagree.

Lastly I always wonder is there other forums out there that discuss the same things about whitetail hunting back east, whitetail hunting down south, high fence operations in Texas etc etc.

Free choice. Free will.

BuzzH

WKR
Its alot easier to complain. Human nature. Im a glass half full type of guy. These hunting forums sometimes bring out the worst in people.

If hunting and fishing is your priority in life then move out here. Simple as that. I did.
If you dont agree to the "hoops" "money" etc etc etc things. Then dont get in your truck and come out here. I dont think western hunting is losing its appeal at all. There seems to be a pretty big demand for it.

As far as residents go. Sorry guys. If you live out here and dont think its good times. Then we disagree.

Lastly I always wonder is there other forums out there that discuss the same things about whitetail hunting back east, whitetail hunting down south, high fence operations in Texas etc etc.

Free choice. Free will.
Its losing its appeal so much in Wyoming...there were only 6,476 more NR elk applicants this year than last. Arizona about 18,000 more.

I don't think anyone will cry if a few people fling their suckers in the dirt, stomp their feet, and hold their breath and quit applying in the West.

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to the out west game with my first experience being WY antelope last year. The cost certainly sucks but I can't get that spot and stalk experience here with the exception of a wet day here or there. So with the cost concerns, I probably won't be trying every year but I still plan to find a way to go every couple years if I can afford it.

In the mean time I will continue to hunt nearly anything Missouri has to offer. Tried my hand at doves, turkey, and trapping for the first time over the last year. I average 50+ sits for whitetail every year plus whatever time I can manage on squirrels. Still want to try bowfishing and frog gigging. lots of opportunities here too

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
Going to try muley with a bow in nebraska this year too. price is affordable and we'll make the best of it regardless of pressure and opportunity. just have to go

Billinsd

WKR
It's always been tough for me as a non resident. In the 70s, before social media and magazines giving detailed how and where information it was tough! My dad funded my trips, solo and guided, however, he didn't share my passion and we started just walking through the forest and driving roads. I didn't have any friends or relatives that hunted big game and magazines were vague on how and where. As technology and social media expanded, so did my opportunities. It was and is infinitely easier for me to research info, by calling people first and now social media, than putting boots on the ground hundreds of miles away. I'm far far better off hunting now than in the 70s, when I was completely lost. The 90s were a great decade to hunt for me, when I got tipped off about the Eastmans Journal. I've racked my brain HARD over the last 30 years to plan and draw bucket hunts. As I get older and my health declines my financial resources increase and the quality of my hunts is through the roof.

Rob5589

WKR
Its losing its appeal so much in Wyoming...there were only 6,476 more NR elk applicants this year than last. Arizona about 18,000 more.

I don't think anyone will cry if a few people fling their suckers in the dirt, stomp their feet, and hold their breath and quit applying in the West.

It will be interesting to see once the country opens back up, people are back at work, and the gov't stops the handouts, if the numbers rise, fall, or remain static. There were a lot of people with time and stimulus dollars last year.