Western Hunting losing it's appeal

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up on the lower 48 awhile ago, point creep, non resident odds are all pretty tough, heck, even resident odds in some places suck. I moved to AK so I could avoid all that and hunt everything I want each year. It isn't without its downsides though, the amount of gear and gas ive burned through is huge, not to mention things like boats, snowmobiles, flights etc. There can also be pressure here, one area I used to go for moose every year and never see anybody is now something I hear about standing in the line at the grocery store. No matter where you go its tough, I know lots of guys up here who would love to get a moose or a bear but don't know where to start or have anybody to show them.
More and more I'm thinking you've got the right idea there!

As prices increase for non residents across the west, less will come. That’s the reason they are doing it. And, that will be the results. If money won’t stop it, less tags will. And, they’ve shown they are willing to cover their bases pretty good with both of those scenarios.

I’m torn. I understand states prioritizing resident hunters. I don’t have an issue with any difference in pay based on residency. But, o do believe Wyoming will get to the point it’s going to take 5 or 6 points to even stand a chance at a general tag. Very quickly. I don’t think licensee cost, even at these proposed prices, will stop non residents from applying at a rate that sees demand for them drop. So, I truly believe in less then 5 years, we will see another cost increase.

At some point, I’m going to have to get a general tag and never buy another point for Wyoming or any where out west. I’m setting on CO mule deer points, Montana elk, and Wyoming elk. I’ll probably never draw in CO. At least in the unit I’d prefer. And, I refuse to keep chasing it. It’s just getting frustrating. I’m going to have to salvage an elk hunt in Montana and Wyoming by buying more pints and chasing that stupid rabbit down the hole!!!

But, to end out, the allure of western hunting isn’t fading. But, reality is knocking. So, in the end, that means less of me hunting out west. I sure wish my wife would agree to moving to Alaska.

I agree. I moved to Utah from southern Illinois 5 years ago and knew nothing about hunting in the west because I was always content on my family farm back home.

The NR western hunting game is a ridiculous joke. For someone just starting, in their 30s, good luck ever drawing a NR moose or sheep or goat tag. I haven't applied to any other states than Utah and really enjoy the OTC opportunity Utah has for it's residents. When we move to another state, it won't be CO and likely not ID. Unfortunately I'll never get to move back to the Midwest again.

Deadfall

WKR
I am from misssouri as well. However, long long ago I moved out west. Grew up hunting with family in colorado. Anyway, I agree it is getting harder and harder for non residents. With that said it is also getting harder and harder for residents. Non residents are flocking in and buying every little or big piece of anything they can. They are paying outrageous prices because the money made outside of montana is not the same money we make in montana. NR are closing access. Residents simply cannot compete in money they spend for land. Some ranchers around have even partnered up with out of staters to gain access to more ground for their clients/grazing.

Quitting is what "they Want". how great would it be for the other side if we all just gave up. First tags outwest go away. then it starts moving east, north, south. Look whats happening in BC.

We gotta ban together. This is the perfect sight to post legislation that hurts hunters and for us all to take a hour in the evening and send a few emails. Don't matter if its montana legislation or maryland. This thing isnt about resident, or non resident, anymore. It has to be US vs. THEM. Otherwise we all fubar

Gen273

WKR
I don't intend to be so negative, but the reality is barring a miracle, hunting is likely going to die with our generation: just look at the rising costs, declining opportunities, and liberal agendas against both hunting and guns and ammunition.

I gave up on the lower 48 awhile ago, point creep, non resident odds are all pretty tough, heck, even resident odds in some places suck. I moved to AK so I could avoid all that and hunt everything I want each year. It isn't without its downsides though, the amount of gear and gas ive burned through is huge, not to mention things like boats, snowmobiles, flights etc. There can also be pressure here, one area I used to go for moose every year and never see anybody is now something I hear about standing in the line at the grocery store. No matter where you go its tough, I know lots of guys up here who would love to get a moose or a bear but don't know where to start or have anybody to show them.
Maybe a deer hunt down here some time! 💪😁

CorbLand

WKR
I agree. I moved to Utah from southern Illinois 5 years ago and knew nothing about hunting in the west because I was always content on my family farm back home.

The NR western hunting game is a ridiculous joke. For someone just starting, in their 30s, good luck ever drawing a NR moose or sheep or goat tag. I haven't applied to any other states than Utah and really enjoy the OTC opportunity Utah has for it's residents. When we move to another state, it won't be CO and likely not ID. Unfortunately I'll never get to move back to the Midwest again.
Utah’s OTC opportunities pretty much suck for big game.

gbflyer

WKR
Western hunting appeal was lost for me when I moved to Alaska in 1995. But I still like to go to CO when I can. Beautiful weather and great friends. Lots of memories too. I’ve probably bought my last tag there though from Gov Pole Smoker. I’m happy to spot and pack if someone needs help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
I don't intend to be so negative, but the reality is barring a miracle, hunting is likely going to die with our generation: just look at the rising costs, declining opportunities, and liberal agendas against both hunting and guns and ammunition.
I'm seeing tons of new hunters out seems..

We might be shrinking as a percentage of the population, but still growing in numbers..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I hate to say it I'd have to agree with you. The amount of younger people my age hunting seems to be very small even from states where hunting is prevalent. Growing up in a small rural town the amount of kids that hunted in school was shockingly small. Once the older people start aging out it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Declining/tougher opportunities and rising price tags certainly isn't helping the matter at all. We can only hope that the organic meat movement catches on more so than it has and gets more millennials and gen z'ers off the couch hunting and advocating for it. Hopefully all the liberals start realizing where all the funding for their trails and parks and wildlife comes from as well. Hell I even hope all these people trying to get instafamous realize they love hunting not for just the likes and continue doing it.

I'll take more people in the woods any day over the alternative. Instead of bitching about western hunting losing its appeal or the lack of opportunity we'll be bitching about not being able to hunt at all. Hopefully we don't get to that point.

z987k

WKR
This isn't going to be the most popular opinion, but...

If you don't like the non-resident odds. You can fix that.

Elkangle

WKR
Otc is a lost cause for multiple reasons...Last year I believe there was a 10-15% increase across the board on special apps...AZ is reporting nearly the same increase again this year... the influencers did well

While right now this sucks...I believe it's important to remember there will be a lull between waves...lulls = opportunities...know when to hold em and fold em...don't end up trying to cash in all your points when you can't get anything for them...burn them before hand...find alternatives to buy you time while your points build and ride the waves

Some boomers have lots of points, some are just now retiring and entering the game...so they are competing across the board...tag strategies will change with social media and economics..many influencers have become aware of the impact they have...then they began pushing a "just go hunting" message.."burn them points" lol "let's see how many people we can get out of the draw Pool"

And its working

Food for thought

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
It's never been "cheap" to go out of state. I can recall decades ago my Grandfather complaining about the CO elk tag had gone up to 135.00. It's all relative. I think you're right on; the average Joe hunter hunts near home for the most part.

Could be worse though. There are duck blinds around here that go for 5000-8000+ a hole, for one season.
If you read Fred Bear's Field Notes, his friend quits his $2 per day job to go on a $10 per day fully guided bear/moose/sheep hunt in Canada with him. So 5x factory worker pay. Around here starting factory work is $12/hr so $96 per day. So 5x for 7 days is $3360 today's money. Good luck finding the same opportunity of Canadian moose/bear/sheep fully guided for that price today. Average Joe used to be able to afford any hunt the same way average Joe used to be able to work all summer and afford the years tuition at college without loans. Inflation has far outpaced average Joe.

Rich M

WKR
In the days where I come from, NR western hunting is a luxury and a once or twice a lifetime kind of thing. It is expensive and folks didn't believe they needed to go every year. Same w a trip to AK, it is an overpriced vacation that folks really enjoy. Same to bring the kids to Disney.

Only the rich can go very often.

Btw, the rich man's sport and taxes comments are decades old and older. Whichever online persona is talking this is regurgitating stuff I heard as a kid in the 1970s and is mentioned in the writings of say Ruark and others.

To me, I went on my desired antelope and Mule deer hunts, will die a happy man having done each once, even if I never go again. Would like to do antelope again and am collecting points.

You gotta figure it out for yourself. Are you feeling entitled and frustrated cause there are a lot of guys in line in front of you? Perfectly natural.

Would a couple guided hunts satisfy your soul or do you "need" to go on glam hunts every year? That's up to you.

Personally, I think folks want too much and really think that they deserve it. Which is fine if you can afford it. If you can't, you need to reassess your situation.

Noone owes anyone anything. The states offering NR hunting are doing us a favor.

You have to make it happen yourself. If you can't for any reason, figure out what you can do and be happy w that.

sndmn11

WKR
It's interesting that folks from "back east" will hunt whitetails 50 yards from the next guy and within 1/4 mile radius of a few dozen, but get in a tizzy and bark about "western" crowding if they see a guy in orange 1/4 mile away...while also reporting they saw their elk.

You can hunt two elk in CO, in the same or separate seasons, every single year without applying for anything. You can hunt deer in CO every year without applying for anything. You can hunt phorn in CO every year without applying for anything. You can hunt two bear in CO without applying for anything.

That is SIX licenses without filling out a single application!

You can also hunt phorn in WY every year without any sort of "preference point game".

I am guessing there are also OTC tags in other states as well. Can't a person go hunt Bighorns EVERY SINGLE YEAR in Montana?

Tons and tons of midwesterners have been on exactly one western hunt. That's been the case for some time. As for us more stubborn SOB's, I don't think the changing dynamics will deter us, we'll figure something out.

I don't really think it's all that bad currently.