Western Hunting losing it's appeal

I think most people's issue is that, instead of addressing predator problems (Oregon, California, Colorado soon, etc.) and declining wintering range as our populations expand, and managing funds better, they're (Fish and Game departments) deciding to squeeze non-resident hunters.

Which seems weird when non-residents generate way more revenue, I don't understand why you'd want to alienate your cash cow. It won't be too long until this social media cycle of hunting being cool wanes and the people that aren't down to actually put in the effort to see success consistently will stop buying tags. Probably like gyms every February, cept on a 10 yr time frame instead of a year.

It is all about choices and planning. I apply in a lot of states for a variety of tags depending on a lot of factors. Sometimes i have an OTC Tag, Sometimes a General Tag, and every once in a while a really premium tag. Do I get the shaft out of state most years... yes! Do I hunt Elk every year? No! ... BUT I do hunt deer every year and this year I killed 3 mule deer in 3 different states with two of them going over 28" all DIY, not one premium tag. Embrace the suck, hunt hard, and dont let any opportunity to hunt pass you by, in your home state or out of state.

Whack em and Stack em!

There are hardly any big game animals left west of the Mississippi. Don’t waste your time coming out here. I haven’t seen anything. It’s all a scam by the DOW to take your money. I know for a fact that they pay kids to run around in the Frank Church and stamp fake elk tracks in the mud. Shameful.

There are hardly any big game animals left west of the Mississippi. Don’t waste your time coming out here. I haven’t seen anything. It’s all a scam by the DOW to take your money. I know for a fact that they pay kids to run around in the Frank Church and stamp fake elk tracks in the mud. Shameful.
Is the fake tracks comment a joke? I have to know.

Early in my hunting career i went tinto the Frank twice looking for elk. In about 20 days of hard hunting I managed to bugle in one small cow. I saw a ton of tracks. The only possible conclusion is fake tracks. The thought that I might have been an incompetent Hunter is not possible. There is only one elk in the Frank and we found her. She is still there.

I've been hunting the west for only 4 years and I've never burned more than 2 points for a tag I've taken 4 animals myself and helped my buddies kill another 16 and we've killed a couple really good bucks on easy to draw tags, my point is you can find some great opportunity every year if you really want to.

I think most people's issue is that, instead of addressing predator problems (Oregon, California, Colorado soon, etc.) and declining wintering range as our populations expand, and managing funds better, they're (Fish and Game departments) deciding to squeeze non-resident hunters.

Which seems weird when non-residents generate way more revenue, I don't understand why you'd want to alienate your cash cow. It won't be too long until this social media cycle of hunting being cool wanes and the people that aren't down to actually put in the effort to see success consistently will stop buying tags. Probably like gyms every February, cept on a 10 yr time frame instead of a year.
I don't think they are squeezing or alienating out of spite. Many fish and game commissions answer to legislators. Right now there is tremendous pressure from residents to limit the amount of NR's

ianpadron

WKR
This thread is gonna start quite the controversy. I am from Missouri and have been hunting out west a few times. Colorado seems so over hunted on elk over the counter. Takes forever to draw a trophy unit or even a decent unit with good odds. I've been putting in for Wyoming elk for 10+ years and the with the point creep it looks like it will be over 15 before I can draw my desired unit. (My dad and his buddies uses to hunt it every other year). Wyoming keeps limiting non resident tags. Most other states are lotteries and who knows when you will draw there. Seems like to me I'm almost wasting money putting in for draws. To me western hunting has turned into a rich man/patient man's game and losing it's appeal. Makes a Midwesterner think I am better off saving up for outfitter tags, hunt Alaska, and just take trips whitetail hunting and upland bird. I know some people will tell me to stop crying, etc. I'm just stating the facts we all pay taxes for this land and us non residents are getting absolutely shafted.
Definitely as bad as it's ever been for non-residents.

Demand at an all time high and supply at an all time low.

It really is a bummer.

I'm skipping my usual ID hunt and focusing all my time on taking advantage of opportunities here in WA that I've typically overlooked. Elk, 2nd bear tag, bunch of upland hunting...still plenty to keep a wanderer like me happy.

Shooter28

FNG
Interesting to read all these responses. I’ll be doing my 1st western hunt this year in CO. I need to decide if I should put in for a bull or cow tag. Bull would be great but at at how much I’m spending for gear, plane tickets, etc, and a NR tag, it would be a shame to spend so much and not get anything. Maybe a cow is a safer bet

Last edited: