Western Hunting With Swaro NL 12x42 vs 10x32

Hi Everyone, recently I watched GoHunt's video about the NL Binos (link at the bottom) and what stuck out to me was their excitement for a 32 objective bino. So, I'm hoping to collect all your opinions about two sets of Swaro NL binos, the 12x42s and the 10x32s. The obvious pros for the 12s are the incredibly larger FOV + size for 12s, however on the other hand, you have the 10x32s that are super light, have an incredible FOV, while supposedly having great light transmission for a 32 objective.

I think this is a super interesting comparison since you get such different things with each choice, so I was hoping to get all your opinions on these two choices and which one you'd likely lean towards if you're a archery to a modern rifle western hunter.

Video Link:

I personally use the NL 10x32 for Sheep hunting in Alaska. The fov, sharpness and light transmission are excellent. The wide fov allows for comfortable scanning of terrain for long periods of time. The headrest is an added bonus that really makes a difference as well.
I’ve tried numerous variations of power and objective size and have settled on this one for my needs.
I pair them with either a Kowa 554 or 774 spotting scope. As I always have a spotter with me, I do not have a need for high power binos.
However the species you hunt will obviously dictate wether this same strategy will work or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
I personally use the NL 10x32 for Sheep hunting in Alaska. The fov, sharpness and light transmission are excellent. The wide fov allows for comfortable scanning of terrain for long periods of time. The headrest is an added bonus that really makes a difference as well.
I’ve tried numerous variations of power and objective size and have settled on this one for my needs.
I pair them with either a Kowa 554 or 774 spotting scope. As I always have a spotter with me, I do not have a need for high power binos.
However the species you hunt will obviously dictate wether this same strategy will work or not.

B_Reynolds thank you! I've never sheep hunted before so do you feel that combo works the best because you're looking at a big open area in the cliffs? Translating it to mule deer country, which could span from open high country to open/dense timber do you think you'd still prefer your choice?

I use them on Kodiak as well for deer, where the terrain ranges from alpine mountains to dense brush as well. In that case I would certainly not want a 12x binocular. In fact I’d be more happy with 8x in those situations, where I’m both scanning wide open spaces and smaller opening in the trees and brush down low.
A species where I’m not so concerned about trophy quality, or where it’s deer and easy enough to get a general idea of the size of his rack with a lower power, I prefer 8x32 or the Swaro 8.5x42.

FlyGuy

WKR
I just ordered the 12x42 NL’s and I’m anxiously waiting for them to arrive. I sold a pair of 10x42 SLC’s and a pair of 15x56 Meoptas to help fund the purchase, but also because I am planning to replace both of those with the new 12’s. FOV on the NL 12’s is equivalent to the SLC 10x. My 15’s were amazing, but too big to handhold and I still felt like I needed the spotter for big country, so I would end up lugging 3 pieces of glass. Now I plan to use the 12x on my chest and my kowa 77 spotter, OD med tripod for glassing heavy hunts.

For archery elk in the timber, I hung on to my 8x32 EL’s. Man I love those things. So light, so easy to use - even one handed, Wide FOV. I’m usually not doing a ton of glassing on those hunts, but I will typically throw in my ultralight granite peak tripod and vortex 55 straight spotter in the pack for occasional sessions. They are very little weight and worth the trouble IMO.

So, I guess what I’m saying is a too like the features of both, but for entirely different purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro