Western Kansas mule deer hunt

anyone hunted western Kansas (northwest) for mule deer? I am looking at hunting a couple weekends in October and the week of thanksgiving. I have been looking around st. Francis area and a couple other big wiha's around Atwood. If you have hunted there is it good? I am hoping to find one 140"+ if that is even realistic ok public out there? I am in very good shape so I don't mind hiking around a lot. Any Intel would be awesome, just want to make sure it's worth it. And of course I will be archery hunting. What kind of hunting stalking or still? (I am imagining stalking) any ways thx guys!

I've never hunted it myself but have seen some really nice deer in the area. Our ranch is just north in Nebraska. Call the gun shop in attwood Kansas and ask around there for some info. Maybe they can throw you a bone or two. To get you pointed in the right direction. Hope this helps you out bud.

Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do residents also have to draw the mule deer tag or is over the counter?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tradguy

FNG
That's been my primary hunting grounds as a lifelong kansas resident. Shot some nice mule deer over the years all on family and friends ranches. There is a lot of walk in around that area and I have seen mulies on public ground. Most I see from the road driving from place to place. Not a lot of boot leather required as much as windshield time and using optics. As a resident I hunt them every year with a bow no draw required. Rifle tag usually takes a point or 2 to draw. Pm me if you want

Gabe

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

OP
H
Residents can choose the archery either species tag, only problem is you don't get a rifle tag. Which is fine with me I don't really rifle hunt. If you did rifle hunt then yes it is a draw

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to try a mule deer there not great odds for non resident every year I debate the gamble of drawing. Nice to know they take care of residents

Interested in hunting Mule Deer in western Kansas as well. I just moved out to eastern Kansas from Utah. I gotta get my spot and stalk Mule Deer fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
I've rifle hunted walk-in land in that area twice. The first year I shot a 28" wide 5x4 the first afternoon that scored in the 160's. The second year I hunted hard for 3 days and only seen one shooter right at dusk that I wasn't able to get a shot at. I will give it another try next time I draw an either species tag.

OP
H
Thx for all the responses guys, I have off Friday's and Saturdays most of season son I will try it out on the wiha out there for (looks like) 4 weekends and the week before thanksgiving. Also if you have any information please don't hesitate to post here I will check it out! Thx again!

Dt87

FNG
Have you hit it out there yet? I tried PM'ing you but said your inbox was full or something. I'm heading up there on Friday, and will be at my buddies at Tribune on Saturday. Was hoping to hit some rougher ground than Tribune offers up that way.