Western Kansas Muley Strategies

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all - I'm hunting mules during rifle season this year with my muzzy and have some questions for some of you more experienced western hunters. Prepare for the essay, and I pray I receive some feedback!

First off, I've chased whitetail my whole life, primarily with archery equipment out of a treestand in river bottoms and other generally forested areas near ag fields in eastern Kansas and all across Missouri. I took my first mule deer (doe, early archery) at 10,000 feet in Colorado last year and it didn't take long for me to A) get hooked on these creatures and B) realize the vast difference in the habitat they thrive in and their general habits.

I'll primarily be hunting private - I've got several tracts with really good topography, a mix of hardwoods and firs, and there are also creeks on several of the properties that usually hold water and have big cottonwoods all along the bottoms. That being said, while driving from farm to farm, there are several WIHA properties I drive by that have piqued my interest but that's not necessarily relevant to this conversation yet.

As I mentioned, I have a muzzleloader tag, so I hunted the early muzzleloader season back in September and got an education on hunting mule deer real quick. Coming from a whitetail background, I set out a few trail cameras on good travel corridors near the creek bottoms in August. Much to my chagrin when I came back in September, all I captured were does and fawns, and a sparse number of pictures at that. My first hunt (late September) had me sitting atop a ridge (on a farm primarily used for holding cattle during the summer) overlooking 3 or 4 intersecting draws and hillsides covered in sagebrush/plumb thickets and fields of sparse yucca. I saw a large number of does and coyotes in the draws but didn't see a single buck. My second hunt, I moved to another farm and sat in my truck until sunup overlooking a draw in between a fallow field and a corn field with a milo field in the distance after receiving some guidance that the deer would be near feed and that I should be glassing. That's when I started putting it together - once it was light enough to see more than 100 yards, I noticed a bachelor group of mule deer bucks with a couple shooters in the upper 100s in the milo a few hundred yards off. Couldn't close on that encounter but I was back that afternoon stalking and glassing through the milo. I snuck up on a fork and a couple does but nothing else appeared (and i'm sure the bucks were bedded in the same field just out of sight). Had a few other cool encounters with antlers on this trip but nothing to show for. I saw a ton of deer in the 3 or 4 days I was out here, just not where I was expecting them to be.

My takeaway from the early season was to stay out of the draws (which I should mention aren't really near much agriculture) and focus on the milo and glass glass glass. Right now, most of the corn and milo in this area has been cut. If mule deer are anything like their whitetail brethren, I assume they're probably chasing does all over the place right now. And if mule deer does are anything like their whitetail sisters, they're holed up in the thick stuff found mostly in properties like the ones I have access to.

What I'm trying to learn from others is what their plan of attack is and where they focus their attention during the latter part of November when the rut is cooling off and most of the food cover is gone. I was out here last year around the same time I'll be hunting and saw plenty of bucks in draws and other pockets of land that are sunken or provide cover by way of topographical changes - the lack of cover must force them to hide this way during late season. Right now, my game plan is to use the two or three days prior to the opener to sit on vantage points at the more topographical farms and glass a couple hours prior and into sunset (I'll be pheasant hunting during the mornings so maybe I'll get in some road scouting during those times). I'm hopeful that I find some bucks worth pursuing this way. One thing worth mentioning - I have a large swath of WIHA adjacent to one of my farms. It's a pretty up and down piece of ground and the back half of it that abuts us has really nice draws covered in plum thickets that drain into our place - I'm betting there will be public hunters that push deer onto me so I'm thinking I'll be here during the opener, depending on what I see while scouting.

Anyway, this is a life long pursuit of excitement, tears and education and most of my experience has been hard fought but maybe there's a tip or two I can get along the way to hasten the process.

Thanks in advance!
I__00037.jpgIMG_4477.jpgIMG_4478.jpg

AARONB

FNG
Sounds like your on the right track. As you saw last year, weedy undisturbed draws, close to crop fields are always good places to look. Key in on food sources and places they can escape the wind but still get sun if it is very windy or cold. If the weather is mild, food sources are still important but they may choose to bed on hillside where they have a good view of any danger. If you're not seeing a deer you want to shoot, on your property, after a couple days; put some miles on your boots and start hunting the WIHA's. Most deer in western KS have big home ranges, but especially mule deer. Most of the WIHA's are CRP fields, which deer love to stay in. GOOD LUCK!

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice so far! A little update - I was back up there for the pheasant opener and picked up my trail cameras. One property has cattle on it and the cows knocked a camera off the tree so I didn’t get any intel there but on the way out found a good bunch of deer coming out of some of the draws on our place onto the neighbors cut corn and saw a huge buck nosing some does so I’ve at least got an idea of where they’re at and what they’re doing. Another property that’s more into the hill country had a nice 3 year old on camera but nothing else to show other than a ton of does. There’s still a lot of corn and milo up around the county, but we saw a bunch of deer while busting crp. It’s crazy country out there for a guy like me!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Good looking land in the pics.

Get to high spots and glass, they will be rutting still and you can find them with the does at the start of the firearm season.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your in for a good hunt. The bucks will still be rutting during gun season. If you have big herds of undistrubed does on ag fields, I’d keep a close eye on them. More than likely a mature buck will be poking around. He might not be with the herd during daylight hours, but I’d bet he’s close hanging out in the thick/weedy draws.

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Well, this first year of pursuing a mature mule deer was successful for me. As you'll see, I didn't shoot the biggest deer I saw (still a great deer), but had plenty of action and learned a ton. I ended up scoring on opening day - turned out to essentially be a spot and stalk hunt and luckily I had all the tools to accomplish this. Had it not been for my spotting binos, I wouldn't have had near the success I did.

As it turns out, things change in the open country once harvest occurs. Where I had seen deer in September, few were to be found. As I thought, they moved into the draws once most of the corn and milo had been cut. Luckily, my future in-laws have cut sorghum and winter wheat in ideal locations on the farms I was scouting/hunting (I had no idea they would be hitting the wheat as hard as they were). I started out by scouting a couple days prior to opening day, getting close to a mile from where we had seen deer while driving roads and using my 20X binos on a tripod and sitting on high points. We got a nice snow and a blast of cold weather 6 days prior and the deer were hitting the wheat and sorghum hard - I was seeing ~40 deer per farm on each encounter. One farm had a very low buck/doe ratio and we were hearing rumors of big bucks on the more topographical farm so that's where most of my focus went. I had a big stalk/sneak-in planned for opening morning that would have taken 30+ minutes to get in position but scrapped it in favor of not bumping deer. There's a big wheat field on one of the farms and luckily there weren't many deer on it when we got to the farm so I just walked in on the field and sat on top on a draw and glassed. Fast forward a little bit, snuck within killing distance of a nice buck without blowing the operation with numerous does around but didn't get my opportunity to close. Wound up hunting a different farm in the evening and found a nice buck in a group hitting the sorghum and did some ninja stalking/belly crawling and got a nice 220 yard shot on my non-typical 13 pointer. Devil's in the details but I already type too much so here's some photos for your enjoyment

OOYWseU.png

nNGLDhL.png

0udu25m.png

TAFRkOX.png

5BE45a9.png

isreYgH.png

Well, this first year of pursuing a mature mule deer was successful for me. As you'll see, I didn't shoot the biggest deer I saw (still a great deer), but had plenty of action and learned a ton. I ended up scoring on opening day - turned out to essentially be a spot and stalk hunt and luckily I had all the tools to accomplish this. Had it not been for my spotting binos, I wouldn't have had near the success I did.

As it turns out, things change in the open country once harvest occurs. Where I had seen deer in September, few were to be found. As I thought, they moved into the draws once most of the corn and milo had been cut. Luckily, my future in-laws have cut sorghum and winter wheat in ideal locations on the farms I was scouting/hunting (I had no idea they would be hitting the wheat as hard as they were). I started out by scouting a couple days prior to opening day, getting close to a mile from where we had seen deer while driving roads and using my 20X binos on a tripod and sitting on high points. We got a nice snow and a blast of cold weather 6 days prior and the deer were hitting the wheat and sorghum hard - I was seeing ~40 deer per farm on each encounter. One farm had a very low buck/doe ratio and we were hearing rumors of big bucks on the more topographical farm so that's where most of my focus went. I had a big stalk/sneak-in planned for opening morning that would have taken 30+ minutes to get in position but scrapped it in favor of not bumping deer. There's a big wheat field on one of the farms and luckily there weren't many deer on it when we got to the farm so I just walked in on the field and sat on top on a draw and glassed. Fast forward a little bit, snuck within killing distance of a nice buck without blowing the operation with numerous does around but didn't get my opportunity to close. Wound up hunting a different farm in the evening and found a nice buck in a group hitting the sorghum and did some ninja stalking/belly crawling and got a nice 220 yard shot on my non-typical 13 pointer. Devil's in the details but I already type too much so here's some photos for your enjoyment

OOYWseU.png

nNGLDhL.png

0udu25m.png

TAFRkOX.png

5BE45a9.png

isreYgH.png
Thanks for sharing, and congrats!