Western Kansas with a Stick Bow

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
There are NO points for the mule deer stamp in Kansas. The points are to draw a Whitetail tag, then its a random lottery for only those NR that have already drawn a Buck tag who pre-selected to go into the MD Stamp lottery.

I would not worry too much about OTC elk in CO affecting Deer. You hunt them differently, and though there is some overlap, the prime areas for each are not the same. There are many units in CO with Leftover Archery deer tags, and many more you can draw with 0 points.

I knew that regarding the draw system for mule deer in Kansas. I’m interested in learning more about the OTC for deer and leftover tags, I just haven’t looked into it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew that regarding the draw system for mule deer in Kansas. I’m interested in learning more about the OTC for deer and leftover tags, I just haven’t looked into it enough.

There is no OTC for deer in CO. All draw. That said you can draw many tags on first choice with 0 points, you can draw a tag on 2nd choice and still get a PP for your first choice, or you can wait til the leftover draw and pick up a tag, or monitor the leftover list for re-issued tags for better units, or buy a landowner tag if you have the money. Many options in CO for way better mule deer hunting especially on public land.

marktole

WKR
That’s what I assumed but figured it may be worth a shot. I may just save my extra dollars then and focus on whitetail in Kansas

If you are wanting to hunt western Kansas for deer, spot and stalk style, no reason you can't be doing that with white tails. First buck I ever killed was a white tail on spot and stalk with a bow in western Kansas. It is hard to get the mule deer tag, but the white tail tag isn't too hard to get. I wouldn't not do it just because you don't have a MULE deer tag. White tail tag gets you out and hunting all the same. Good luck.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
There is no OTC for deer in CO. All draw. That said you can draw many tags on first choice with 0 points, you can draw a tag on 2nd choice and still get a PP for your first choice, or you can wait til the leftover draw and pick up a tag, or monitor the leftover list for re-issued tags for better units, or buy a landowner tag if you have the money. Many options in CO for way better mule deer hunting especially on public land.

I’m going to PM you when I get home

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
If you are wanting to hunt western Kansas for deer, spot and stalk style, no reason you can't be doing that with white tails. First buck I ever killed was a white tail on spot and stalk with a bow in western Kansas. It is hard to get the mule deer tag, but the white tail tag isn't too hard to get. I wouldn't not do it just because you don't have a MULE deer tag. White tail tag gets you out and hunting all the same. Good luck.

I’m definitely wanting to hunt whitetail son Kansas I just didn’t want to hijack the mule deer forum talking about whitetails. I’m going to PM you when I get home

maxp

FNG
Did you all hunt mostly private ground? I know Kansas has those walk in areas, but I haven't done enough research yet to see if there is much on the Western side of the state to take advantage of. I really just want somewhere that is relatively close where I can put some time in each year and start to get some areas figured out.
We hunted private but it was quite easy to get permission in that area...lots of crp in the Sandhills now so the chances of getting on something big are fairly good i would say...

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from the Russell Springs Kansas area last weekend and had access to well over 2,000 acres. I had a either species tag for rifle. Was mainly hunting mule deer. Saw quite a few does but very few bucks. One shooter was seen but he was high tailing it when he saw me and moved over to the neighbors side when a shot presented itself.

I bow hunt and rifle hunt and let me tell you I have no idea how one can hunt mule deer in Kansas with a bow after the crops are out. The only thing you see are yucca trees and dead grass. Very dry this year. Trying to stalk a mule deer even if the buck cannot see you is nearly impossible because they will hear you because of the dead grass that crunches when you walk.

Hunting when the crops are in is tough too because the deer are very hard to see. You best odds as a non resident would be to use a muzzleloader in my opinion.

Joshs74

FNG
I drew an any sex any species rifle deer tag in Western Kansas this year on the first attempt. I hunted the Cimmaron national grasslands during the rifle season. I saw plenty of tracks but not much deer. I didn’t see any other hunters during the week which was great. I did get a deer on a WIHA section just north of the area. There’s a ton of WIHA in western KS, but it looks like it would be tuff with a bow.