Western KS solo public land archery deer hunt

Laramie

WKR
Performed a flawlessly executed stalk on an interesting arrangement of sticks.
Been there, done that. Actually got drawn back on a spike elk stump at 20 yards after a 400 yard stalk. He never did offer a shot lol.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I just walked out of the woods here in KS with no bucks tagged. Got a few doe in the freezer and headed out this weekend to punch that any deer tag with a doe.

OP
Dos Perros
b38603ed5f59cdecf90fb8716f091a70.jpg

Some pics while the sand runs out.

OP
Dos Perros
Well guys that’s a wrap. The buck I wanted never made it back to ground I could hunt. It’ll be another year before I arrow a Kansas buck. Thanks for following along.

In retrospect though, I hunted quite a few days with four! different quality dudes, and I had a lot of fun. Just makes me hungrier for next year.

I’m going to stitch together a lazy film thing and put it on YouTube and I’ll link it here when I do.

def90

WKR
That looks similar to the terrain I was hunting this year minus scattered juniper trees. Tough stuff trying to get close to them in that dried out crunchy grass with nothing to hide behind.

OP
Dos Perros
That looks similar to the terrain I was hunting this year minus scattered juniper trees. Tough stuff trying to get close to them in that dried out crunchy grass with nothing to hide behind.

Nearly impossible without some wind. I like a good wind but not too much obviously. I’ll take a good weather day with one stalk over a poor weather day with multiple stalks.

marktole

WKR
I’m in Lenexa. My wife’s family farms around Abilene so I like to get west often. I’m the guy that has hung elk quarters from my basketball goal in my JoCo suburban HOA neighborhood.
Oh, gotcha. I am from Colby and had some good guesses on where those spots are out west in your pictures on this thread! I wouldn’t post my guesses here for all to see though haha. Had lots of non residents ask about KS mule deer in the last year.

WKR
I hands and knees crawled to 80 yards on this buck in Oct. If it had been a bow he would have survived as that clump of little bluestem was just right for my 58. And there was nothing else for 80 yards over to him. You guys killing deer out there with a bow have my respect.

OP
Dos Perros
I hands and knees crawled to 80 yards on this buck in Oct. If it had been a bow he would have survived as that clump of little bluestem was just right for my 58. And there was nothing else for 80 yards over to him. You guys killing deer out there with a bow have my respect.

That’s awesome. My goal was to kill a buck with my bow this year and then do muzzy next year. Wanted to do it with a Hawken and get close like you did (and have to). That’s really cool.

OP
Dos Perros
1fbcfe784f8e10bd0cd3b274b26b5d8b.jpg

I stalked into this buck in the wide ass open back in November. A few times I was sure he was going to wind me, but the wind must have been sucking up the little low spot and going to the left of him. I approached on the green arrow crawling keeping yuccas between us. Got to 62 yards. Watched and have video of him breeding a doe in front of me. Sent one arrow but the wind drift carried it into his paunch/ham. He ran across the main draw and bred the doe again with my arrow sticking out of him. Then when darkness fell we could hear quite a battle between him and another buck. Never found him, looked all over and contacted the adjacent landowner. He was a nice buck and I would have been thrilled with him.

The big yucca country is good for archery stalking, and then the breaky stuff. I actually think the highest percentage stalk would be on a buck bedded in CRP, but tough to find them in there. Would have to watch the borders of one and watch them bed. Have only ever picked up a couple bucks just blind glassing CRP.

Fatcamp

WKR
I stalked a group on a flat last Fall. Got to 90 yards and got impatient. Moved too fast and a doe heard me. Learned a lot that day. If I had stalked as close as I could get, say 60 yards, and waited, probably would have had a shot at 30-40 when they all stood up. I thought it was a buck and two does. Turns out it was a pile of deer including several nice bucks.

Still kick myself. I had nowhere to be and the weather was perfect. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to stalking deer. Great skills. Lousy judgement.

OP
Dos Perros
I’m also good at stalking but I always am tempted to rush or force things at the moment of truth. I get this feeling I have worked too hard to let an opportunity slip away and sometimes take too much action or the wrong action instead of letting things develop or a new/better opportunity to materialize. I just need to be a better finisher. Some of that is learned and some instinctive. Those final moments tho when my heart is about to jump out of my chest—nothing like it.