Western Landlocked Lands Report by onX/TRCP

Trial153

WKR
Sell the landlocked land to buy accessible land.
Yes this will be great. Market value for landlocked public land will be dictated by the one, maybe two private land owners that already have acess to the land, and hence defacto ownership.
That's a swell idea.

Yes this will be great. Market value for landlocked public land will be dictated by the one, maybe two private land owners that already have acess to the land, and hence defacto ownership.
That's a swell idea.

Not like it is doing any good right now except for the couple private owners selling.

Either negotiate an easement or dump it and use that money for something that actually benefits the public...put it into a fund for the owners that are actually willing to sell easement rights.

The reason public lands in the west are inaccessible is that right of way law has changed in these states over the course of history.
As ownership of parcels were aggregated, landowners of large parcels wanted to limit passage though their growing lands and the laws were changed at their behest. What a great way to grab more land! Simply make it illegal to access property owned by others. Legal owners could not use landlocked parcels and were forced to sell at a cut-rate price. Public lands have been managed differently and are pretty close to the only inaccessible inholdings left (other than recent subdivisions).
Seems like the solution is to restore historical access through legal change. This is really unpopular with large landowners, especially those with many sections of public inholdings. Not going to lie, I'd like access, but I completely respect the position of ranch and farm landowners. Where do we find compromise? Selling our public lands is no compromise.

... negotiate an easement or dump it and use that money for something that actually benefits the public...put it into a fund for the owners that are actually willing to sell easement rights.
Jack Ward Thomas called this idea the Texification of the west. No thank you.

I don’t understand how a “easement of necessity” option has never been visited in regards to all these land locked parcels? The law is so that it is almost impossible to create parcels that are landlocked.

One downside to going this route is that it can get quite costly because of the time in court that is required to extinguish all other options the judge will require couldn’t be met first.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
The easement can be as simple as legal corner crossing with above ground markers and signage. I believe much of this is checkerboard.

Kilboars

WKR
Wow, that's a whole lotta ground. I never understood how there aren't just easements to access the landlocked properties? I'm all aboard the keep it public train, but if there's no real solutions why not just cash the landlocked in and get it on the local tax rolls? As is, it is just a freebie handout to the adjoining LO's.

Good question. Why is the government not selling?