western mountain elk

mtnsterno

FNG
I have been hunting elk in SW CO for years and want to get into the backpack solo aspect of this so I might have better odds when rifle hunting. The hoards of people that come here are nuts and I want to get away. Is there a decent gear list that someone may point me to?

Theres a ton of "Whats in my pack" type videos on youtube.

Heres a list on the EXO website - theres other links on the right side of that page.

HenDawg3

FNG
Corey Jacobsen has some good videos on that as well, and Randy Newberg has some that are comparable according to your style of hunting. Randy’s would be a little bit more of the later season rifle .

You should specify archery or rifle season. I’d say get a lightweight sil tarp and a set of trekking poles. You can store gear under the tarp or use it with the poles to make a shelter. Plus poles are good for when you’re packing everything. I like the Wiser Quick Sticks for joining poles together for various reasons including a gun rest. I’d also focus on dry feet. Obviously the best sleeping bag you can afford. You’ll get a lot of different recommendations for tents.

Are you sure you’re not overlooking elk closer to the road before you go through the trouble and expense of gearing up for a backpack hunt? Good luck!

Marble

WKR
I have been hunting elk in SW CO for years and want to get into the backpack solo aspect of this so I might have better odds when rifle hunting. The hoards of people that come here are nuts and I want to get away. Is there a decent gear list that someone may point me to?
If you are new to backpacking it may be a little overwhelming. My suggestion is to look through the lists and start with the basics. In order to really perfect your "system" you need some time in the field. So to do that, just practice.

You won't get it right or get your favorite stuff really dialed in for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Zappaman

WKR
Go backpacking where you plan to hunt a few times first. Good advice above. You can also do some scouting (not just game, but future positions you'll want to have on the hunt). Its NICE to know WHERE you are going to want to stalk/glass before heading out with a tag and rifle. There is a reason guys "find" honey holes... and the further away you can get from the well traveled roads- the better. So plan to be out for DAYS-- you'll learn a LOT!

Good luck!

I know you asked for a gear list but hear me out on this one since you specified using a rifle. Backpack hunting during those late rifle seasons (presuming the OTC rifle seasons) can be an exercise in misery or a rude awakening of sorts if you aren't already experienced in winter backpacking conditions with well below freezing night temps. Even then, combining those skills with hunting is a decent learning curve and it can be quite a different ballgame than doing it in September with a bow. Going from the relative comfort of whatever your current setup is to a little 2 man tent in late fall is going to reduce your sleep and food quality drastically. From your normal basecamp can you wake up an hour earlier and hike in an extra mile to help distance yourself from other hunters? That might be worth a try first. I've done it both ways many times on those hunts and my personal success rates are honestly about the same.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Corey Jacobsen has some good videos on that as well, and Randy Newberg has some that are comparable according to your style of hunting. Randy’s would be a little bit more of the later season rifle .
I thought we learned that Corey hunted elk on private behind his house? Too soon? Please don’t ban me!

I know I am not normal but bear with me. I also know that most of you hate paper maps but here is a concept. I spend a lot of time in the woods. As I work through areas in the mountains, I note where I observe cows, bulls, wind direction, elk trails, my trails and varius other things. I keep a field map in my pack and plot it on a master map in my gun room. I also plot where I have killed elk and everybody I hunt with by year. Over 50 years the patterns are amazing. There are cow ridges as well as bull ridges and how you have to approach them given the predominant wind direction.

On that master map I often see places I have overlooked and need to go spend a day there. I consistantly hunt 3-5 topographic quads. The gps is handy but doesn't allow me the detail I need over the larger area for planning.

Elk hunting success has an immense number of variables. Every little thing you do will make a difference in whether or not you are eating elk in the spring.

I don't hunt the prairie elk so I don't know if this helps. I do hunt north side jungles where binos have a very limited application for long distance. I need to know where they are likely to be.

Zappaman

WKR
You can get 7 1/2 topo's from the BLM- I used to (help) make them (adding data for USGS back in my BLM mapping days). Exceptional detail... and worth pulling out if you get a land owner making a bluff when you iphone isn't working way out in the boonies.

BUT... make sure and "update" them (land swaps) with the latest online data (edit them by hand). After 4 day or more out in the field iPhone batteries are a PITA (charging them, ok, but take five power packs!). You also can make notations on the paper maps that last for YEARS- and like Pony Soldier above mentions-- it's "telling" when you start to notice the patterns year-to-year.

Another thing you can do is make an appointment with the range-con (or forest biologists) in the area- they are (almost) always great guys/gals and can help with "local advice" (map edits) before you go out. Nothing like KNOWING where you are and having a "meeting" (just a few weeks ago!) with the people who MANAGE the land you will be hunting on. You can "whip it out" for anyone who questions your area with the name of the manager for that area (and get thier number too- just in case). That shuts anyone up-- every time.

Verified knowledge in the field is power... and the law. That paper documentation trumps any "good old boy" opinions about where you "might be hunting" fast.

Edit: ALSO, it's always a good idea get the game warden's number. Call and let them know when you are hunting (and where you will be). They often can ALSO give you some good tips and it never hurts to have their phone # for the hunt-- and future hunts. I know my warden well and if I'm coyote hunting with a light (here in Kansas) I let him know-- so he's not worried about night poaching.

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
I know you asked for a gear list but hear me out on this one since you specified using a rifle. Backpack hunting during those late rifle seasons (presuming the OTC rifle seasons) can be an exercise in misery or a rude awakening of sorts if you aren't already experienced in winter backpacking conditions with well below freezing night temps. Even then, combining those skills with hunting is a decent learning curve and it can be quite a different ballgame than doing it in September with a bow. Going from the relative comfort of whatever your current setup is to a little 2 man tent in late fall is going to reduce your sleep and food quality drastically. From your normal basecamp can you wake up an hour earlier and hike in an extra mile to help distance yourself from other hunters? That might be worth a try first. I've done it both ways many times on those hunts and my personal success rates are honestly about the same.
Yep, camping on the Continental Divide during rifle season in a little dome tent, going to sleep with light flurries, waking up to a full-on blizzard that drops three feet in two days. Been there, done that on my first honeymoon hunt. Lucky we didnt kill each other.

Forget about the backpack hunt unless you have a honeyhole you can't day hunt that for sure has elk, or will have elk.