Western Mountaineering Bag for ~0-20*

I am doing a little sleeping bag upgrade project this year. Just picked up a kifaru 20* slick bag that is going to be my go to for mild weather down to the 20s .

For temps below I am looking at a Western mountaineering bag to cover the colder temps I camp in from about 20* down to 0*. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" and 250# and carry my weight and bulk in my shoulders (mostly). I also sleep fairly warm. I am zeroing in on the Kodiak and Sequoia with a preference for the extra room the semi rectangular Sequoia. I plan to run the bag in my Bora Bivy more than not so I am not really looking at the Windstopper series but welcome any feedback on windstopper vs not windstopper.

skierhs

WKR
I would go with the kodiak. Its a tighter fitting bag but thats what you want with cold temps. The less air to warm up and the less air to move around the more effcient you'll stay warm. Both are great bags but if you are going to be dealing with legit 0 degree nights, you may want to step down to a -10 degree bag. I would especially suggest the warmer bag if you are only using the bivy.

As far as shape goes, go with which one floats your boat.

I have an Antelope in MicroFiber and love it so last year picked up a MegaLite for warmer temperatures. That bag is serving me very well.

Don't forget a high R-rated pad.

Vandy321

WKR
I've had the badger down to zero in my long John's and a double wall tent. More than enough bag for that and fits in a sz small event stuff sack.

I am doing a little sleeping bag upgrade project this year. Just picked up a kifaru 20* slick bag that is going to be my go to for mild weather down to the 20s .

For temps below I am looking at a Western mountaineering bag to cover the colder temps I camp in from about 20* down to 0*. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" and 250# and carry my weight and bulk in my shoulders (mostly). I also sleep fairly warm. I am zeroing in on the Kodiak and Sequoia with a preference for the extra room the semi rectangular Sequoia. I plan to run the bag in my Bora Bivy more than not so I am not really looking at the Windstopper series but welcome any feedback on windstopper vs not windstopper.

My shoulders are 56" around the chest. Based on that I tried to stay at least 65" shoulder girth. The Best fitting guidance I've found on that is from feathered friends website they recommend adding 10" to your outside should girth for a comfortable bag fit, plus or minus a couple inches for preference and sleep style. Badger fit me well, but ended up selling it. Thinking about a kodiak now.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mega lite with an overfill that I have ran for quite a few years and a kodiak with an overfill that I have run into negative 3 plus. I ran the kodiak in an enlightened equipment bivy and a sleeping bad with an r value of 4 and was plenty warm sleeping in my base layers below zero. The kodiak has been hands down the best late season bag me and two of my other hunting buddies have used. I should have bought one many years ago

if you move around alot,hate being restricted in sleeping bags and use to using top quilts i dont think theres anything wrong with going bigger. you could always shove some cloths in to take up the space. im 6ft and wish i went with the longer Sequoia.i went long and wide with my slick bag also and that worked for me.