Western Mountaineering bags, looking for a good 0* bag and would like some user feedback

I am in need of a good bag, they are spendy but I can cry once if their worth it. they do not have a phone number on their site I could find and I would like some user opinions if they would buy again or go another route. currently using a Mt. Hardware 15* and I am getting cold at
28-34 degrees enough I had to sleep in a puffy jacket and leggings. want a light bag but will trade some weight for a good sleep for sure. and a bag that will last for many years. any help appreciated!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I am also interested. We'll be hunting 3rd rifle season in Northern Colorado this November. I think we're going to rent a wall tent and wood stove. Where we set up will depend on how much snow there is and we may spike camp a couple of nights.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I live about an hour from where these bags are manufactured. They are absolutely top notch bags, my personal favorite brand (right up there with Feathered Friends).

Where are you located? They have a few dealers across the country and deal directly with them, they don’t do any direct stuff to customers unless you know somebody who knows somebody.

Their gore wind stopper line is my go to bag anywhere I go. For the temps you mentioned I have their Sequoia GWS because I don’t like mummy bags being a stomach/side sleeper. It’s a 5 degree bag and I had it overfilled with 4 oz of down for $60 extra. Gets it down to about a 0 degree bag. I am perfectly comfortable with a mid weight base layer top and bottom into the 10s and low teens and I’m one of those guys who hates being cold when he sleeps. Make sure you run a good quality sleeping pad as well and I like to boil water and fill two Nalgene bottles and stick them down on each side of the bag. Then you also have drinking water for the next day already good to go and not frozen.

Absolute quality bags and will last you a very long time.

Quant

FNG
I have the WM Sequoia MF, which is rated down to 5 degrees. My coldest night in it was 15, with just base layers on. WM bag ratings are conservative. I would say their ratings are based upon comfort level, where some others seem to be based on a survivability temperature.

Keep in mind that a good pad, with an R rating of at least 5, is just as important as the bag IMHO.

hikenhunt

WKR
If you're going to use it, its worth it and will last a long time.

Their ratings are spot on to conservative. I had one of their 35 degree bags on a night that reached about 25. Didn't know it was getting that low. I did okay, but use that bag for 32 and warmer now.

But to answer your question directly, I did buy again, a warmer bag for the colder nights.

jt4

WKR
For the people that have 0 and 5 degree bags, how warm of temperatures can you use them in without being too much? Assuming if it gets too warm you can just unzip it and use it as more of a quilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
I have the Kodiak and anything above 40* I have to really open the bag. My feet will cook ! I’m from Florida I’ve had my Kodiak down to 5* completely comfortable. I run an Exped UL9 under mine. You will not be disappointed with a Western Mountaineering bag.

Lawnboi

WKR
IME you don’t need to buy a bag 10-15 degrees colder if it’s a WM. They rate their bags at a comfort rating. That’s been my experience with the two Iv got.

A bag too warm can be as uncomfortable as one too cold.

A pad is a very important part of the equation as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
FWIW my 10 degree versalite is uncomfortable in anything over about 35.

I couldn’t believe the hype, until I got one, WM is worth it. I have two now, a megalite and a versalite.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
IME you don’t need to buy a bag 10-15 degrees colder if it’s a WM. They rate their bags at a comfort rating. That’s been my experience with the two Iv got.

A bag too warm can be as uncomfortable as one too cold.

A pad is a very important part of the equation as well.
There’s a ton of wisdom in this post. Much of the time my Kodiak is too warm. I’m planning on adding a 25* bag and packing the appropriate bag for the expected weather. Having experience with my WM Kodiak gives me the confidence to take a WM bag to its rated temp and a little below. I had my first trip west turn into a cluster phuk due to a 20* rated “good deal” bag that I froze in at 40*. First thing I bought when I got back was a WM bag. Worth every penny I paid for it and I won’t even flinch when I buy the next WM bag.

FWIW my 10 degree versalite is uncomfortable in anything over about 35.

I couldn’t believe the hype, until I got one, WM is worth it. I have two now, a megalite and a versalite.

Great advice above.

I have three WM bags and one is the 45 degree Everlite for this very reason. The bags are rated accurately from my experience. I’m a warm sleeper, but if you start sweating in a bag on a cold night - you’re going to see what freezing feels like pretty quick!!

Last edited:
WM makes top notch stuff. Feathered Friends and Valandre are also worth a look.
I love my FF bag, it is a 30 degree bag with 2 oz of overfill. I've slept very comfortably down to the high teens in it.

jt4

WKR
Anyone have experience with the lite series and the MF series? Is it worth the extra $ for the MF? What’s the real difference?

LandYacht

WKR
Anyone have experience with the lite series and the MF series? Is it worth the extra $ for the MF? What’s the real difference?

I have a Versalite from the extreme lite series and a Caribou from the microfiber lines. The shell is different, but you don’t really notice it sleeping. I’d go with the bag that has the dimensions and ratings that you want. The Versalite is the warmest bag in the lite series and I can push it comfortably down to 0.

I run the Caribou by itself only when I know I am going to be above freezing as it is a true 35 degree bag. I’ve run it colder when I take my kids hunting with me and I know when I do that I will need to run base layers to keep the cool air from the box stitching from waking me up. The box stitching is available in the lite series as well.

I combine both bags when I know I’m going to be below 0 and I’ve never found a temp that I haven’t been able to handle with them combined. In theory their combined rating would be -25 which is requiring additional sleeping pad combinations and head insulation.

The features that I think make or break a bag are a full length zip and adequate draft collars/tubes. The Versalite checks all those boxes and weighs in at 2 pounds. I don’t think there is anything that can compete with it, but I am extremely biased.

Both shells will repel water extremely well. They aren’t waterproof by any means, but neither is the stitching on the bag. Unless you are cowboy camping exclusively I don’t see the need for a weatherproof shell. I find that the biggest problem with down is letting your bag breathe and the water proof shells seem to have a harder time at that than the water resistant shells. I’ve never had a water issue with my bags, but I am in the Rocky Mountains and am able to keep my bags dry for the most part as the humidity level is low. It’s interesting to see ice on the outside of your bag because your body vapor freezes after it passes through the bag. I find that both shells shed the ice well, with the lite series being just a little better when you shake the bag.

Make sure you pair whatever bag you choose with a pad that has an R value that will match your bag. Cold from below will chill you much faster than cold from above.

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We (Seek Outside) are a Western Mountaineering dealer. So if you've got specific questions or need to order one feel free to reach out.

I personally have had an Antelope 5 degree for probably 10 years now. Great quality, and accurate temp rating even though I am a very cold sleeper.

Pay attention to the dimensions. The Antelope is a slim cut, while the Kodiak 0 degree is a roomier cut. I've often thought I'd rather go to the bigger bag even though it's a little heavier. During the "cold time" of year you get a lot of dark hours and time in the bag, so having some room is nice.

Their site isn't great, but if you dig through the FAQ section it will answer a lot of questions. The difference in shell materials is there:

Extremelite is our lightest fabric, but the least water resistant. Microfiber is far more water resistant and more breathable than Extremelite, just slightly heavier. We consider it a perfect middle ground between weight, durability, water resistance and breathability. Gore WindStopper is the heaviest least breathable fabric however it is multiple times more water resistant than the other two fabrics.

Extremelite is suitable for all 2 season uses and ideal for weight conscious adventurers. The fabric is highly water resistant for the weight and can withstand most condensation summertime users encounter inside tents. Microfiber boasts high versatility due to its increased water resistance and breathability. Cowboy camping? Need something suitable for warm nights and wet nights? Microfiber is ideal. Gore WindStopper is for situations in which you will encounter high moisture or precipitation. These bags are not water proof, but will hold up to any condensation and even light precipitation. Their less breathable shell means they are not ideal for warm nights.

Stats on fabric performance:

Extremelite
Denier: 12
Weight: 0.74 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 1200 mm

Microfiber XP
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.35 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 2000 mm

Gore WindStopper (bags)
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.7 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 12000 mm (yup 3 zero’s)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Get ahold of bean outdoors here on Rokslide, he gave me a great price last year when I got my WM badger, in fact I need to get ahold of him again myself.

LaHunter

WKR
Another vote for the WM Kodiak 0 degree bag. I don’t have a bunch of nights in it, but the times I have used it the temps were down around 5 degrees or less. Stayed plenty warm without even my base layers on, and the extra room is nice.

WM Kodiak here as well. Taken it down to 0 no problem as long as I did my part keeping it dry. Great bag. I’ve got the GWS version. If you are tarp camping in the dead of winter the GWS is probably good to have, I haven’t had any condensation issues with it.

Unfortunately I don’t have an MF version to compare it too. The biggest downside to the GWS along with a bit of added weight is it’s a pain to pack down as it’s tough to “deflate” so to speak.

Currently have the Antelope and love it. Looking to add another bag for warmer temperatures and the Caribou and SummerLite are on the short list.

WM did add the EN ratings for several of their bags in the FAQs.