Western Mountaineering Bags - - Where to buy?

I know which bag I want, I have looked at several places online and was just wondering if I am missing a certain website to find the best price... When dropping close to 500 on a bag I want to make sure I can get the best deal. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

They seldom go on sale. You will find a few models here and there for sale but I have never seen like 20% off like you will see on marmot or others. If ya want the best you just have to bite the bullet.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Honestly Nick, I think your gonna have to bite the bullet on this one. Ive seen only a 10% ever on those bags and sales are rare. They are extremely good bags and Western keeps the price that way too. They don't even offer a military or pro-staff like deal on anything they make.

G Posik

WKR
I found mine on eBay. It said it was used and when I got it I had to question if it was really used. I have used it a few times and it shows my use only.

Glenn

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Nick, I bought mine used over the winter from a guy on backpackinglight.com. A lot of those guys are moving to quilts. You can do a search on their site. I watched ebay, Craigslist, and others for a couple years with little success. Hermits Hut gives you a free overstuff and discounted pillow price with a new bag. That is the best current deal I know of.

OP
Nick Muche
Nice! I just picked one up.. The Versalite. I think this will be the only bag I will ever need (I Hope).

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I just picked one up.. The Versalite. I think this will be the only bag I will ever need (I Hope).

Nick:

I have a Versalite. I don't tolerate cold well when sleeping, and it only works down to about 25*F for me. I ended up buying a second WM bag (Lynx MF) for late season use. Hopefully, you won't need a second bag!

Regards,
Scott

OP
Nick Muche
Good stuff Gman, I was considering that one too, but I like the 10* rating on the Versalite. I am sure both are excellent bags. Have you ever had any issues with your Alpenlite? For the money, I'd hope not!

Scott, I can tolerate being a little cold when sleeping, in fact I prefer it over being too warm, so this one should fit the bill! Thanks for the information.

Gman

WKR
No issues at all. It's the one piece of gear I don't even think about tinkering with. If I didn't run a bivy I would consider their microfiber shell. I also got the overfill option and am usually too warm but that's okay. I've put a hole or two in it from start stove embers but it patches right up. You won't regret going WM.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
What is the free "overfill" with the WM bags on hermit huts website? Been look at the UL for over ayear and never heard of that. Would more fill be a versalight?

Gman

WKR
From what I understand it's just more down stuffed in there so it increases the temp rating up to 5 degrees.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
That would be great but implys a special order from WM? Is this the only place where you can get that option?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
that is where I ordered mine...

Same here...ordered my two WM bags from these guys 3 years ago with the free overstuff...they are freaking awesome. Got the Alder and the MityLite zipped together for Becca and I....super comfy for the two of us with well over 100 nights in this setup. Can't say enough good about WM bags. The Hermits Hut is the cheapest I found for purchasing new.

That said when going solo this summer I'll be using the Rev X quilt I got from Tim from Englighted Equipment a couple months ago. Thing is too sweet and puts the GoLite quilt I have used to shame in the loft department for less overall weight...hard not to like that.