Western mountaineering Gore wind stopper

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone using a WM gws bag? I am just curious on your thoughts on it, I originally wanted the Antelope MF line but got a smoking deal on their gws version.

Sequoia GWS here. I bought it for the following reasons, and have never wished for anything different.

Durability of outer fabric undoubtedly better than mf.
Resistant to water, spills, condensation drip, etc.
Better weather resistance if ever forced to bivy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You give up some breathability for increased durability and weight. Their MF bags are plenty weather resistant for anything other than a prolonged downpour. For my use case the GWS shell was overkill so I went with the MF when I got my Kodiak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had a WM microfiber bag and sold it. Did not like the external fabric at all. I found it far slipperier on top of an inflated pad. I also believe the mf bag I had was quicker to absorb atmospheric moisture in high humidity settings vs my GWS bag. I experienced that a couple times.

Is anyone using a WM gws bag? I am just curious on your thoughts on it, I originally wanted the Antelope MF line but got a smoking deal on their gws version.
I don't have a WM bag but am starting to look and have this same question; thanks for asking so I can learn.

I had a WM microfiber bag and sold it. Did not like the external fabric at all. I found it far slipperier on top of an inflated pad. I also believe the mf bag I had was quicker to absorb atmospheric moisture in high humidity settings vs my GWS bag. I experienced that a couple times.
A newbie here and wondering what your insight is because I've never run a WM MF or GWS bag. I thought I heard somewhere about a potential concern for the GWS trapping body moisture inside the bag if say using the Antelope in temps around freezing because it doesn't breath as well. I live and hunt in Idaho and am thinking about one bag to cover most situations I may face. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
RGARNER

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Quick update...I got the gws antelope in the mail yesterday and it's an awesome bag. I am actually really glad I ended up with the gws...I haven't handled mf bag but I would worry about it holding up as well in a hunting setting. The gws bag seems tough and doesn't seem like you are sacrificing too much weight or packability

With GWS you’ll give up some breathability and size when compressed. But you’ll gain serious waterproofness. Material has a 12000mm HH rating.

The MicroFiber is a great compromise between breathability, compressed size, and waterproofness. Material has a 2000mm HH rating.

The ExtremeLight has the best breathability and compressed size but the “worst” waterproofness. Material has a HH rating of 1200mm. For reference that is the same rating as the Kuiu Summit Star tent, Kuiu Summit Refuge tent, and the Kuiu Mountain Star tent.

Had the foot box of my MegaLite (ExtremeLite fabric) get exposed to a monster monsoon that dumped several inches of rain over a 2-3 hour time period. Then it got to “soak” for another couple of hours. Scooped the water off the top and poured the water out. Bottom half of the foot box was still dry. Hopped in and went to sleep. Bag was bone dry when I woke up.

Same bag was used for about a month straight with high humidity (higher than Kodiak AK) and 1+ heavy rain storms every day all while sleeping in a hammock covered by a tarp. Worst case was the outer shell was damp to the touch when I got in but was always dry when I woke up even if it was raining.

My Antelope (MicroFiber) has about 3 weeks in AK; interior and Kodiak. Hunts were for grizzly, mountain goat and Dall sheep. Zero issues with moisture despite weather conditions.

A newbie here and wondering what your insight is because I've never run a WM MF or GWS bag. I thought I heard somewhere about a potential concern for the GWS trapping body moisture inside the bag if say using the Antelope in temps around freezing because it doesn't breath as well. I live and hunt in Idaho and am thinking about one bag to cover most situations I may face. Thanks.
Well, I've got 10 years of use from my Sequoia GWS now. It has seen everything for weather on my Alaska trips over the years. I've been consistently happy with its performance. Lest anyone wonder, the GWS fabric is definitely not thick, heavy or bulky. When compared to my MegaLite (sold) it is simply a more substantial feel while remaining light enough for maximum loft. The MegaLite I had was certainly a nice bag, with fabric that was like gossamer to my hand.

I specifically recall talking to the boys at WM ahead of my purchase back then, as I needed some opinions. I too had a few thoughts about moisture retention in the GWS bag. I was told and (through a decade of use) I've confirmed this to be a non-issue....particularly if I simply air out the bag once in a while. The biggest source of nightly insensible water loss from the body happens through respiration...breathing. The skin puts off far less moisture, which isn't to ignore it. I think the biggest causes of body moisture accumulation in any bag are from 1) respiratory accumulation from breathing inside the bag and, 2) accelerated moisture loss (perspiration) from being overly warm in a given bag. Personally, I sleep in thin merino wool base layers which provide a first layer of moisture absorption and keep my skin away from the internal fabric. In any event, my GWS bag has always remained lofty and light over the course of hunts lasting 2+ weeks in high-humidity / cold conditions.

I've alluded to this before as well: Hunting in true backcountry (with no quick way out) has made me think about the need to bivy if my shelter is damaged or destroyed. In that case I will want as much moisture resistance and durability as possible. This is admittedly only a possibility, but it could happen as a result of huge storms or ever-present bears. I hope to never know the outcome, but if forced to go a few days with no reasonable shelter I will count on the GWS bag to be better....but not perfect....at staying dry.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had a custom GWS bag before (Non WM) .. and several WM bags (Micro Fiber). MF, is a very good balance of water resistance and breathability IMO, and GWS is overkill IMO , but very good just overkill. If I am packing it on my back often , MF, or even ExtremLite .. if I was only doing Fly in or float stuff with some car camps the GWS

3forks

WKR
With GWS you’ll give up some breathability and size when compressed. But you’ll gain serious waterproofness. Material has a 12000mm HH rating.

The MicroFiber is a great compromise between breathability, compressed size, and waterproofness. Material has a 2000mm HH rating.

The ExtremeLight has the best breathability and compressed size but the “worst” waterproofness. Material has a HH rating of 1200mm. For reference that is the same rating as the Kuiu Summit Star tent, Kuiu Summit Refuge tent, and the Kuiu Mountain Star tent.

Had the foot box of my MegaLite (ExtremeLite fabric) get exposed to a monster monsoon that dumped several inches of rain over a 2-3 hour time period. Then it got to “soak” for another couple of hours. Scooped the water off the top and poured the water out. Bottom half of the foot box was still dry. Hopped in and went to sleep. Bag was bone dry when I woke up.

Same bag was used for about a month straight with high humidity (higher than Kodiak AK) and 1+ heavy rain storms every day all while sleeping in a hammock covered by a tarp. Worst case was the outer shell was damp to the touch when I got in but was always dry when I woke up even if it was raining.

My Antelope (MicroFiber) has about 3 weeks in AK; interior and Kodiak. Hunts were for grizzly, mountain goat and Dall sheep. Zero issues with moisture despite weather conditions.
Agree with this post.

Most people have rain jackets or tents that are less waterproof than the extremelite fabric that WM uses.

You can make a dimple on an extremelite bag, and literally pour in a glass of water, let it sit (I think this test was 15 minutes), and pour the same amount of water off the bag into a glass.

As others have pointed out, a MF bag is what WM states is the perfect compromise between all of their fabrics, but a bag using their extremelite fabric is still highly capable and very light and warm.

I have an Antelope Super Dryloft with the windstopper that's roughly 20 years old, best bag I've ever owned by a mile. I do keep it in an OR bivy pretty much 100% of the time to protect it. So I don't really care about the weight and bulk difference between it and a MF bag. Getting ready to send it back to get re lofted and reconditioned, but its still in fantastic shape with 100s of days in the field in it. Freaking awesome bag, can't say enough good things about their stuff. My wife has a MF bag, and it's definitely less durable, but much more packable. I would lean towards a WS bag just for durability, because I beat the stuffing out of my gear. Congrats on the purchase, you will become a fanboy...

MattB

WKR
Agree with this post.

Most people have rain jackets or tents that are less waterproof than the extremelite fabric that WM uses.

You can make a dimple on an extremelite bag, and literally pour in a glass of water, let it sit (I think this test was 15 minutes), and pour the same amount of water off the bag into a glass.

As others have pointed out, a MF bag is what WM states is the perfect compromise between all of their fabrics, but a bag using their extremelite fabric is still highly capable and very light and warm.

I've done that with my MF bag as well, was amazed that it didn't seem that there was any water penetration through the fabric. I am sure the seams would be a different story.

OP
RGARNER

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Antelope Super Dryloft with the windstopper that's roughly 20 years old, best bag I've ever owned by a mile. I do keep it in an OR bivy pretty much 100% of the time to protect it. So I don't really care about the weight and bulk difference between it and a MF bag. Getting ready to send it back to get re lofted and reconditioned, but its still in fantastic shape with 100s of days in the field in it. Freaking awesome bag, can't say enough good things about their stuff. My wife has a MF bag, and it's definitely less durable, but much more packable. I would lean towards a WS bag just for durability, because I beat the stuffing out of my gear. Congrats on the purchase, you will become a fanboy...
Just curious, did WM give you a price quote on having a bag relofted and reconditioned?

Just curious, did WM give you a price quote on having a bag relofted and reconditioned?
I just got a quote back of $50 plus shipping with a 2 week turn around. I'm going to send it in and ask them to give it a once over and see if there is anything else they think should be fixed, although honestly, it doesn't even have so much as a frayed stitch. I'm curious to see how they re-loft it, probably an industrial hot tumble dryer to break up and fluff all the down clusters. I'll report on it when I get it back.

I’ve got a Kodiak GWS, no experience in the MF. Kevin brings up some good points about possibly having to bivy. But I’ve often wondered if I should’ve gone MF.

GWS is probably overkill in most scenarios, but it’s also nice piece of mind. Biggest thing is make sure you aren’t wearing wet baselayers when you get in. I know this seems like a “duh” thing for any down bag, but when you are smoked from a long hunt it’s easy to get lazy. Not sure if an MF would’ve been any better but that mistake cost me a day of hunting one time. I was used to synthetic army issue bags where one could “dry out” a bit in a bag overnight.

Another downside is the GWS is hard to pack. It’s best to turn the bag inside out to get it compressed and into your stuff sack. Again not a huge deal, but a little annoying.

Bottom you will probably be just fine either way. I know as a gear nerd I hate that answer, but it’s probably true. That said the weight/size penalty of GWS is minimal with much higher performance in water resistance. Will that be needed? Probably not, but it’s nice to have.

OP
RGARNER

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a quote back of $50 plus shipping with a 2 week turn around. I'm going to send it in and ask them to give it a once over and see if there is anything else they think should be fixed, although honestly, it doesn't even have so much as a frayed stitch. I'm curious to see how they re-loft it, probably an industrial hot tumble dryer to break up and fluff all the down clusters. I'll report on it when I get it back.
Definitely update when you get it back.

OP
RGARNER

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Kodiak GWS, no experience in the MF. Kevin brings up some good points about possibly having to bivy. But I’ve often wondered if I should’ve gone MF.

GWS is probably overkill in most scenarios, but it’s also nice piece of mind. Biggest thing is make sure you aren’t wearing wet baselayers when you get in. I know this seems like a “duh” thing for any down bag, but when you are smoked from a long hunt it’s easy to get lazy. Not sure if an MF would’ve been any better but that mistake cost me a day of hunting one time. I was used to synthetic army issue bags where one could “dry out” a bit in a bag overnight.

Another downside is the GWS is hard to pack. It’s best to turn the bag inside out to get it compressed and into your stuff sack. Again not a huge deal, but a little annoying.

Bottom you will probably be just fine either way. I know as a gear nerd I hate that answer, but it’s probably true. That said the weight/size penalty of GWS is minimal with much higher performance in water resistance. Will that be needed? Probably not, but it’s nice to have.
Pretty much my reasoning as well, I hardly sweat at all so I don't think moisture in the bag if going to be a huge issue.

Well, I've got 10 years of use from my Sequoia GWS now. It has seen everything for weather on my Alaska trips over the years. I've been consistently happy with its performance. Lest anyone wonder, the GWS fabric is definitely not thick, heavy or bulky. When compared to my MegaLite (sold) it is simply a more substantial feel while remaining light enough for maximum loft. The MegaLite I had was certainly a nice bag, with fabric that was like gossamer to my hand.

I specifically recall talking to the boys at WM ahead of my purchase back then, as I needed some opinions. I too had a few thoughts about moisture retention in the GWS bag. I was told and (through a decade of use) I've confirmed this to be a non-issue....particularly if I simply air out the bag once in a while. The biggest source of nightly insensible water loss from the body happens through respiration...breathing. The skin puts off far less moisture, which isn't to ignore it. I think the biggest causes of body moisture accumulation in any bag are from 1) respiratory accumulation from breathing inside the bag and, 2) accelerated moisture loss (perspiration) from being overly warm in a given bag. Personally, I sleep in thin merino wool base layers which provide a first layer of moisture absorption and keep my skin away from the internal fabric. In any event, my GWS bag has always remained lofty and light over the course of hunts lasting 2+ weeks in high-humidity / cold conditions.

I've alluded to this before as well: Hunting in true backcountry (with no quick way out) has made me think about the need to bivy if my shelter is damaged or destroyed. In that case I will want as much moisture resistance and durability as possible. This is admittedly only a possibility, but it could happen as a result of huge storms or ever-present bears. I hope to never know the outcome, but if forced to go a few days with no reasonable shelter I will count on the GWS bag to be better....but not perfect....at staying dry.
Kevin, Thank you for your insight and help! This is why Rokslide is so valuable, being able to get wisdom from other more experienced people such as yourself. Thanks again.