Western mountaineering Gore wind stopper

I just want to be clear that I'm not advocating anyone should go for GWS fabric. Make your own decisions. Sometimes all we have to go on is data and theory...long-term and real-life experiences can be harder to find or document. A mention was made about the GWS bags being harder to get stuffed and I'd like to address that. I had a MegaLite and could jam it in a stuff sack quickly as the air pushes out of it very easily compared to GWS bags. My GWS is very resistant to giving up the air (and loft), making me take longer to stuff it. The bag simply wants to stay lofted. I personally love that characteristic.

The MegaLite bag I owned was luxurious to handle and touch....almost like silk. I took it on a high elevation solo caribou hunt back in 2015. Unfortunately I got hammered by a hurricane-type low pressure system for 5 days. Huge winds....sideways rain...extreme condensation...nonstop 100% humidity. It was just ferocious weather and the kind of thing Alaska is known for. The MegaLite did well initially, but the fabric didn't hold back the water from condensation spray/drip inside the tent. I had damp dark spots on it and began having to protect it with gear laid over it. By the time the trip was over I was carefully nursing a very damp bag holding about 2/3 of its original loft. I actually relocated my camp during a lull in the storm. After stuffing the bag and packing it a couple miles, I found it very difficult to get shaken out and lofted again. Trust me....the bag was very damp. That experience confirmed that I personally want a bag that has greater resistance to water and atmospheric moisture.

I also keep an accurate digital baggage scale in my gear back at the hangar. I weigh my stuffed bag after the trip to check for moisture gain. The most I've ever seen with the Sequoia GWS was 4 oz after a 15 day solo hunt where temps were warmer than average. Not bad.

Anyway....good stuff. Good topic and worthy of debate. Go with what you like, or think you'll like. You probably will be very happy with anything labeled Western Mountaineering.

Kevin, thanks for your clarification and the scenario you faced. Always good to hear about people’s experiences and use them as a reference and comparison with how we might use our own gear!

MattB

WKR
Just washed my ~20 year old WM microfiber bag this AM. First, it is completely disgusting the amount of dirt and oil that came out of the bag. Second - and more importantly, I was amazed at how long it took me work all the air out of the baffles and get the down thoroughly wetted/washed. It looked like the vast majority of the water entered through the stitching based on where the air bubbles were coming from. While I wouldn't take it for granted, it is reassuring to see just how long the bag had to be held underwater to wet out.

Just washed my ~20 year old WM microfiber bag this AM. First, it is completely disgusting the amount of dirt and oil that came out of the bag. Second - and more importantly, I was amazed at how long it took me work all the air out of the baffles and get the down thoroughly wetted/washed. It looked like the vast majority of the water entered through the stitching based on where the air bubbles were coming from. While I wouldn't take it for granted, it is reassuring to see just how long the bag had to be held underwater to wet out.
First time washing your bag? I don’t think I’ve actually never washed any of my bags…maybe I should at least wash them once 🤣. Thanks for the info on the MF fabric, pretty cool stuff!

I’ve got a Kodiak GWS, no experience in the MF. Kevin brings up some good points about possibly having to bivy. But I’ve often wondered if I should’ve gone MF.

GWS is probably overkill in most scenarios, but it’s also nice piece of mind. Biggest thing is make sure you aren’t wearing wet baselayers when you get in. I know this seems like a “duh” thing for any down bag, but when you are smoked from a long hunt it’s easy to get lazy. Not sure if an MF would’ve been any better but that mistake cost me a day of hunting one time. I was used to synthetic army issue bags where one could “dry out” a bit in a bag overnight.

Another downside is the GWS is hard to pack. It’s best to turn the bag inside out to get it compressed and into your stuff sack. Again not a huge deal, but a little annoying.

Bottom you will probably be just fine either way. I know as a gear nerd I hate that answer, but it’s probably true. That said the weight/size penalty of GWS is minimal with much higher performance in water resistance. Will that be needed? Probably not, but it’s nice to have.
Personally have not hopped into either my Wm bags (MegaLite and Antelope) wet or damp. But based upon personal experience, you should be fine by the AM.

I have hopped into a wet WM bag (MegaLite with ExtremeLite fabric) and it dried out by the time I woke up in the AM. This was in a high humidity environment (higher than Kodiak for reference).

We have no qualms throwing a down jacket over wet clothes to warm up and to "bake" our clothes dry. Yet somehow it becomes impossible or improbable to do so with a down bag (most cases as fabric can impact the effectiveness as you pointed out with the WindStopper shell).

MattB

WKR
First time washing your bag? I don’t think I’ve actually never washed any of my bags…maybe I should at least wash them once 🤣. Thanks for the info on the MF fabric, pretty cool stuff!
2nd time, but I did it in a commercial washing machine the first time and the bath tub today. All I can say is "ew". Not as bad as my hockey gear, but close. I used Nikwax Down Wash Direct and, based on the color of the water, I would say it was pretty effective at removing gunk.

Another thing I will say is it added a ton of loft back to the bag in the areas where it was heavily soiled (chest/head area mainly). That has to translate to additional warmth.

2nd time, but I did it in a commercial washing machine the first time and the bath tub today. All I can say is "ew". Not as bad as my hockey gear, but close. I used Nikwax Down Wash Direct and, based on the color of the water, I would say it was pretty effective at removing gunk.

Another thing I will say is it added a ton of loft back to the bag in the areas where it was heavily soiled (chest/head area mainly). That has to translate to additional warmth.
Thanks for the info and glad it wasn't as bad as your hockey gear! I might have to pick up some down wash and giver a go to see if the loft increases too.