Western mountaineering Long vs Extra Long

gexpro

WKR
i am 5'10 and went with the 6'6 version (Badger). If you are anything like me, having the extra room is really nice to have; little bit of a weight penalty but worth the comfort. i suggest you go with the 7' version to be safe..

note - I also like to stuff my down jacket by my feet and some socks/shirt so i have warm clothes in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
Kbhillhunter
i am 5'10 and went with the 6'6 version. If you are anything like me, having the extra room is really nice to have; little bit of a weight penalty but worth the comfort. i suggest you go with the 7' version to be safe..

note - I also like to stuff my down jacket by my feet and some socks/shirt so i have warm clothes in the morning.
That's a good call. I was also worried about my head getting pressed up against the top of the hood.

zacattack

WKR
Get the extra long. You won’t have enough length in the 6’6” one. You need the bag to be longer than you otherwise it will compress and lose insulation in the feet and head.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was told the lengths on the western mountaineering bags were to fit people up to that size. I’m 6’4 and got the 6’6 bag, I have more than enough room in that badger.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I was told the lengths on the western mountaineering bags were to fit people up to that size. I’m 6’4 and got the 6’6 bag, I have more than enough room in that badger.
Thinhorn- I’m very interested in stepping up to a WM Badger. I’m also 6’4, and about 250#. Measured around my shoulders, with my arms at my sides, I’m 63” around. I’m curious what that measurement is on you. Odd request, I know!

One thing I noticed with the Badger, the shoulder girth measurement increases one inch when going from the 6’6” bag to the 7’ bag (from 66” to 67”).

I’m 47 years old and I’ve been claustrophobic in tight sleeping bags my whole life. When I spend the coin on a WM bag, I hope that claustrophobia comes to an end!

Explorer

FNG
I am 5' 11" and have the Versalite. The 6' is probably a perfect fit for me. I sized up to the 6' 6" and am happy with it. I put my phone and battery bank below my feet to keep them out of the way and warm enough that they don't loose charge. Sometimes I put clothes I want to ware in the morning below my feet. There are times that it doesn't feel like I have that much extra space.

Explorer

FNG
I'd say they are true to size. Just decide what kind of sleeper you are and if you will put extra stuff in it.

OP
Kbhillhunter
Thinhorn- I’m very interested in stepping up to a WM Badger. I’m also 6’4, and about 250#. Measured around my shoulders, with my arms at my sides, I’m 63” around. I’m curious what that measurement is on you. Odd request, I know!

One thing I noticed with the Badger, the shoulder girth measurement increases one inch when going from the 6’6” bag to the 7’ bag (from 66” to 67”).

I’m 47 years old and I’ve been claustrophobic in tight sleeping bags my whole life. When I spend the coin on a WM bag, I hope that claustrophobia comes to an end!

Feathered friends size guide recommends adding +/-10" to the circumference of your outside shoulders. This is the only girth guidance I could find anywhere. I previously owned a badger in long (66"width) and found it comfortable, but my shoulders are about 56". Have you checked out the specs on any of their semi rectangulars?