Western Mountaineering vs. Feathered Friends

gdiemer

WKR
I’m looking to finally buy a high quality down bag and I’ve been looking between WM and FF. More specifically, WM’s Versalite 10* and FF’s Lark 10*. I was hoping to get some feedback on one or the other. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
Can't give you feedback on those specific models, but I have a WM Bristlecone and a FF Peregrine. I can't say there's a real difference between the two. Both quality bags.

*zap*

WKR
I have an older versalite for sale on here....it has served me well for quite a few years with really no issues and just been to wm for rejuvenation and overfill. 6' lz. I just prefer a tall bag now...FF is probably just as good.

I will say that I believe it is a very good idea to get an equally warm syn bag for times when weight/size is not much of an issue and then your down bag will last longer and need to be cleaned less often.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a WM versatile for a 2021 moose hunt…. Temps got down to 28 degrees F. I was plenty warm other than the tip of my nose… great bag as far as I’m concerned.

I looked at both for a very long time. Ended up buying an Alpinlite - FF had closed during covid to make masks so they didnt have any inventory. Both are equally good from what I saw. I bought my WM bag from Bean Outdoors on here and he gave me an awesome deal.

I have WM and FF, they are of the same quality. I would get whichever one has the temp/dimensions/material you want and if that is a wash, whichever you can find in stock.

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
I have a WM Terralite with overfill. It’s been a really good bag. I can’t speak for FF but I don’t think you can go wrong with WM.

Splitting hairs. Go with what you can find in stock (new or used). Inventories are drying up and I would not put a lot of faith in our politicians to get things back on track any time soon.

Never had to push the temperature rating on my Antelope but I've always been toasty in it. Have pushed the temperature rating on my MegaLite to the mid-20s and still been warm. This is with the XTherm.

Small difference, but I find that the Velcro hood closures on WM scratch my face too much when sleeping. For that reason I tend to prefer FF if all else is equal spec.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've owned both. Both are top notch, pick the one at the right temperature rating and size.

If you have two that are comparable- check the fabrics used by each, total weight and most importantly the amount of down fill- with these two companies they'll be pretty darn close I suspect.

Vandy321

WKR
I've take my WM Badger (15deg) Down to 3 deg and been toasty warm.

Can't speak to FF but WM consistently outperforms their temp ratings. And the baffle systematic it easy to move down around for warmer days.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
My ff penguin was stolen. And a stone glacier 0 degree bag replaced it and I think I like the sg bag better. It's roomier . And more comfortable

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I have and use both. For backpacking / hunting I like the WM bag because of their fabric choices. In my campervan I love the rectangular FF bag. Wife has a FF bag for backpacking and she loves it. Flip a coin - you can’t go wrong either way

I've owned both and can't really say one is better than other. I was gonna get a WM alpinelite from Bean outdoors but the lead time was out to the summer. So last week I bought the FF Swift 20 which is the equivalent same size specs and fill as the WM alpinlite 20. Feathered Friends had it in stock and I had it to my door within 5 days. It is also a few bucks cheaper than WM. So, like others have stated get whichever you can get your hands on.

Matt G.

WKR
I was researching these two brands. Seems like FF uses untreated down vs WM uses treated. FF says it degrades and clumps reduces loft of the down. With this said any moisture issue with FF?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neither WM or FF is using treated down

from WM

Why isn’t Western Mountaineering using hydrophobic down in any products?
We have found in our own testing that the performance enhancements of hydrophobic treatments on high quality down are widely overstated. High quality untreated down already has naturally water repellant oils on it left by the geese (makes sense since geese spend a lot of time in water). These oils help repel water and keep down lofted. More importantly is that these oils last indefinitely. Hydrophobic treatments wash out like a DWR and remove the natural oils during the application process. Because of this, and the water resistant capability of our shell fabrics, we feel that hydrophobic down does not provide a considerable impact on performance and could actually inhibit performance over the lifetime of our products.

zacattack

WKR
I was researching these two brands. Seems like FF uses untreated down vs WM uses treated. FF says it degrades and clumps reduces loft of the down. With this said any moisture issue with FF?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Neither use treated down. I’ve owned both brands and it’s pretty much 6 one half a dozen the other.

Matt G.

WKR
Thank you for that clarification. Very good to know. Makes this more difficult...