Western Mountaineering - Where to buy

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had several overfilled bags over the years, because of down shifting within baffles from many companies. I have not noticed the same problem on stock WM bags. I talked to them directly about it , and they explained why they thought there was little to no benefit .. and I agree with them on the why. To me, it's similar to people that want to add a bunch of guy outs .. it isn't needed and for most people (95 percent or better) its a better product without the extra guy outs. In fact, we have had more paranoid users request enough that we went out of our way and then the customers reported later they wish they had not added them. Now, I agree many similar tents need more guy outs, because they use different cuts and fabric orientations .. but for Seek Outside tents ... we feel there is enough and performance in tests we have done backs that up.

In essence, I think overfill is a good idea for most bags .. but I don't think it is needed on WM , and I've never noticed shifting to be a noticeable problem .. so for me , I save the weight.

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Campsaver usually has a code for 30% once a year. That’s when I bought mine

I already checked but unfortunately their discount codes don’t work with WM bags. Same with Backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickstone

WKR
That’s unfortunate for you. The 30% discount code worked just fine for me last year to purchase a wm bag, along with several other people from this site.

Attachments

• BBEEA282-8494-4702-89EF-7038BEBE2619.png
    BBEEA282-8494-4702-89EF-7038BEBE2619.png
    503.6 KB · Views: 66
OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Wanted to bring this up again. I looked at quite a few different WM sleeping bag models, ranging from 30 degree to 15 degree bags. I understand the logic behind having different bags for different purposes, but being from the Southeast, and making only 2 or 3 trips a year that require a sleeping bag, I'm looking for one bag that will serve the majority of my needs. Most of my hunts are in mid/late september at 9-11k in colorado. I will be branching out to other states over the next few years, but in the same time frame and general elevation. In the future I may do some early september hunts at high elevation, as well as some fall/winter camping at home around the southeast.

I have already settled on the WM Badger as my all-around bag (haven't bought yet though). Its a little warmer and heavier than I might need for most situations, but being a big-framed guy, I will enjoy the extra room inside vs carrying a few more ounces on my back. It also gives me more more flexibility in temp range for future hunts than just going with a lighter bag.

Thoughts? It seems like the Badger is a super popular bag on Rokslide, for good reason. Has anyone used it early in the season (but still high elevation) when the conditions are warmer? I figured I could just sleep with it unzipped. I'm not a quilt guy.