Western Nebraska

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, my stepdaughter and I have just booked a western nebraska antelope hunt. This is going to be our first antelope hunt, and will be an archery hunt. We are going the last week of August, and will be hunting over water holes and potentially some stalking with decoys. Being our first trip, and the area, I was hoping for some insights and potentially what to expect.

I do understand that the area doesn't hold hordes of antelope as does it's neighbor in Wyoming, and trophy quality is perhaps not as equivalent, but we are fine with that and looking to get an opportunity at a good representation of a mature buck of the species. Thanks

ddenney

FNG
I am going to western Nebraska as well this year. I've been before, a few years ago. I will say that although not like Wyoming, there was still a fair number of goats and saw several that I'd been more than happy with on the wall. One was an absolute stud and I flubbed a shot on a very nice one. Good luck and just have fun!

Robber

FNG
We will be north and south of Scottsbluff.

You guys should find plenty of goats in those areas. I have hunted around Harrison and all the way south of kimball and have found that north of kimball holds some mighty fine bucks. I actually saw the largest buck I’ve seen with my own eyes around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello, my stepdaughter and I have just booked a western nebraska antelope hunt. This is going to be our first antelope hunt, and will be an archery hunt. We are going the last week of August, and will be hunting over water holes and potentially some stalking with decoys. Being our first trip, and the area, I was hoping for some insights and potentially what to expect.

I do understand that the area doesn't hold hordes of antelope as does it's neighbor in Wyoming, and trophy quality is perhaps not as equivalent, but we are fine with that and looking to get an opportunity at a good representation of a mature buck of the species. Thanks

What outfit did you end up going with? If you don't mind me asking.

It's pretty open grasslands north of Scottsbluff. South you will get into the Wildcat hills. More pine trees and broken country, goats will still probably be close to water down there. Keep an eye out for rattle snakes... they are around. Just watch where your stepping and look where your putting your hands. Other than that be prepared to sit probably all day or most of it. Wouldn't hurt bringing a smaller cooler unless your outfitter specified they would have one for you. Take plenty of snacks and plenty of pictures!

We run a guide service further north of there a couple hours. If you get in a jam let me know.

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
What outfit did you end up going with? If you don't mind me asking.

It's pretty open grasslands north of Scottsbluff. South you will get into the Wildcat hills. More pine trees and broken country, goats will still probably be close to water down there. Keep an eye out for rattle snakes... they are around. Just watch where your stepping and look where your putting your hands. Other than that be prepared to sit probably all day or most of it. Wouldn't hurt bringing a smaller cooler unless your outfitter specified they would have one for you. Take plenty of snacks and plenty of pictures!

We run a guide service further north of there a couple hours. If you get in a jam let me know.

We ended up going with Heartland Pride Outfitters. Thanks for offer, we get jammed up I’ll drop a line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Ive hunted in that area a few times.
I tried goats once. There was too much water and the two main herds I was on were mostly watering on private land. I went back for first week of deer season and tried to decoy one while looking for mulies. Never could get that too work either. There were lots of goats though. So with the outfitter doing the scouting it shouldn't be too hard. Especially since a good representative animal will do.

Outlaw99

WKR
I’ve stayed in Kimball and hunted the surrounding area. While not overrun with goats, I saw plenty. Eating supper at the local bar got me access to some great private land as well. I found the locals to be pretty dang friendly. Good luck, let us know how you do

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
We had a great trip. Saw plenty of animals, I ended up killing a buck on day 3. Stepdaughter struck out. We would go again , just a little later I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk