Western North Carolina

ZT3006

FNG
Just wondering if anyone has hunted Western North Carolina particularily around Jackson County. I have done some scouting on public land and talked to some locals and they do not seem to have much luck. I'm not meaning to ask for anyone's spot but has anyone hunted the southern NC mountains?

LostArra

WKR
They must have all moved to Durham. I read about a city government debate to allow suburban bow hunting because of the deer "problem". I'm pretty sure it passed but after the usual entertaining suggestions of deer contraceptives.

OP
Z

ZT3006

FNG
Yeah that''s what I heard. In the hunting regulations book it has a whole list of towns that have urban archery season all on the eastern part of the state.

While I have not hunted in Jackson County or the far western part of the state, I have spent a significant amount of time in the Pisgah National Forest just east of you. Deer hunting in those national forest lands is tough. There has been little habitat management over the last 3 decades. Hundreds of thousands of acres of mature timber with few transition zones means there is not much good habitat. The deer are sparse, there are less than 10 deer per square mile, but in many places, there are no deer. When you do find them, you will usually find a lot of them, because they are hang around where the good habitat is. Use the USFS website to look for burn data and timber harvest data. There has been some timber harvesting done, just not a lot. If you can find those places, you will find the deer.

You may also want to check out Needmore Game Land in Jackson county. It is river bottom country and has better habitat than most western NC. Also, look at permit only hunts on Dupont State forest in Transylvania County. All the rifle and muzzleloader permits are gone, but there are gobs of archery permits left. Dupont has some really good habitat and strong deer population, you just have to dodge all the horse back riders and mountain bikers. I have hunted Dupont several times. Never have any problems seeing deer. If you have a canoe, use it to cross the lake and get to some really good deer hunting.

OP
Z

ZT3006

FNG
When I looked around, just about all the trees as you mentioned were massive timber tracts. Needmore seems like a nice place to hunt especially considering all the other options. Thanks for your imput, hopefully I'll be able to post a few pictures of a successful hunt this season for up here.

wileywild

FNG
While I have not hunted in Jackson County or the far western part of the state, I have spent a significant amount of time in the Pisgah National Forest just east of you. Deer hunting in those national forest lands is tough. There has been little habitat management over the last 3 decades. Hundreds of thousands of acres of mature timber with few transition zones means there is not much good habitat. The deer are sparse, there are less than 10 deer per square mile, but in many places, there are no deer. When you do find them, you will usually find a lot of them, because they are hang around where the good habitat is. Use the USFS website to look for burn data and timber harvest data. There has been some timber harvesting done, just not a lot. If you can find those places, you will find the deer.

You may also want to check out Needmore Game Land in Jackson county. It is river bottom country and has better habitat than most western NC. Also, look at permit only hunts on Dupont State forest in Transylvania County. All the rifle and muzzleloader permits are gone, but there are gobs of archery permits left. Dupont has some really good habitat and strong deer population, you just have to dodge all the horse back riders and mountain bikers. I have hunted Dupont several times. Never have any problems seeing deer. If you have a canoe, use it to cross the lake and get to some really good deer hunting.

This info is about as solid as you get. I've camped Dupont quite a few times and while the landscape is amazing I'd imagine the hunting would be tough yet exceedingly rewarding. Keep us posted on your season.

Ebayollis

FNG
Just wondering if anyone has hunted Western North Carolina particularily around Jackson County. I have done some scouting on public land and talked to some locals and they do not seem to have much luck. I'm not meaning to ask for anyone's spot but has anyone hunted the southern NC mountains?
I live in western NC (Mitchell county)
Theres quite a few deer here...I about 1.5 hrs from jackson county...theres not alot of giants but a few...
Heres my biggest

Attachments

• 20190511_143601.jpg
    20190511_143601.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 64
I live in WNC and have hunted Pisgah a good bit. I went to Western and hunted Nantahala. Try going a little more south and learning "Warrior" and the parts of Nantahala that are above Bryson and Franklin. Call the Ranger district and talk with the Biologist and District Ranger. A bunch of good folks. Hunt edges, any edges, from fire to property boundaries.

Timekiller had the best explanation of the issues that are facing wildlife on our landscapes. A lack of young forest and Early Successional Habitat has led to declines of multiple species and an increase in invasives and close canopy forest. I encourage you to learn more about the current plan revision and get involved by speaking up for wildlife. Feel free to PM me if youd like.

To put it bluntly there are just not many deer there. If I remember right somewhere around .3 deer per square mile.
The lack of habitat and disturbances that naturally occur has led to this. Thankfully, we are getting around to using science, instead of emotion, to manage our landscapes in the historical context. The 12 Mile Project on Pisgah and Buck Creek on Nantahala are steps in the right direction.

The lack of habitat and disturbances that naturally occur has led to this. Thankfully, we are getting around to using science, instead of emotion, to manage our landscapes in the historical context. The 12 Mile Project on Pisgah and Buck Creek on Nantahala are steps in the right direction.
I am keeping an eye on the 12 mile project. If that goes through, that may be some primo hunting in the coming years.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I live in WNC and have hunted Pisgah a good bit. I went to Western and hunted Nantahala. Try going a little more south and learning "Warrior" and the parts of Nantahala that are above Bryson and Franklin. Call the Ranger district and talk with the Biologist and District Ranger. A bunch of good folks. Hunt edges, any edges, from fire to property boundaries.

Timekiller had the best explanation of the issues that are facing wildlife on our landscapes. A lack of young forest and Early Successional Habitat has led to declines of multiple species and an increase in invasives and close canopy forest. I encourage you to learn more about the current plan revision and get involved by speaking up for wildlife. Feel free to PM me if youd like.
I was just in Franklin county for my buddies wedding and camped in the Nantahala and absolutely love the area and considered doing a hunt down there sometime. But I saw 0 deer and not much sign at all up in those mountains. Bears on the other hand were a different story

OP
Z

ZT3006

FNG
I have seen a very few deer tracks. I found some edges of about 2-3 year old cut over that might be promising. Thank you for all yall's imput. It is really helping me out since I have never been in this type of terrain. I have been looking in to bear hunting since the deer numbers seem to be low.

OP
Z

ZT3006

FNG
I was just in Franklin county for my buddies wedding and camped in the Nantahala and absolutely love the area and considered doing a hunt down there sometime. But I saw 0 deer and not much sign at all up in those mountains. Bears on the other hand were a different story
It sounds like you had an encounter or two with bears on your camping trip.

I live on the Haywood/Jackson line, there are deer in Jackson just gotta find habitat they like. I've got a couple spots picked out, one off the wall one right by the road that had a ton of sign when I scouted it about a month ago. That's where I'll be next Saturday evening. Other spot at above 5000' I'll hunt come the last week of September, after that I'd be more than welcome to have you hunt them as my plans for hunting around the house won't kick back in again until Thanksgiving. Shoot me a pm, I'll share some info.

OP
Z

ZT3006

FNG

PM Sent.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve lived here all my life and I’ll just put it this way. All the deer here are in the witness protection program. All I can say is avoid gun season and hike deep during second bow season. When you think you’ve gone far enough go farther

Digging up this old thread and giving it a bump. @ZT3006 did you end up with any luck in the 2019-2020 season? @trickytross @timekiller13 thank you both for sharing some great info. Have either of you had any more luck in recent years?

On May 1 2023 I'm moving to Hendersonville NC from Denver CO. In the meantime I'm doing as much prep work and online scouting as I can. There is a lot to learn about the area and the game lands. The general tone I get from this thread is that the hunting is hit or miss.

Lowg08

WKR
Digging up this old thread and giving it a bump. @ZT3006 did you end up with any luck in the 2019-2020 season? @trickytross @timekiller13 thank you both for sharing some great info. Have either of you had any more luck in recent years?

On May 1 2023 I'm moving to Hendersonville NC from Denver CO. In the meantime I'm doing as much prep work and online scouting as I can. There is a lot to learn about the area and the game lands. The general tone I get from this thread is that the hunting is hit or miss.
Lots of deer and room on green river game lands in hendo