Western pack for whitetail hunter?

st59

FNG
Hey everybody,

I’m new to the whole frame pack scene and wanted to get a few opinions. I mainly hunt white tails out of a hang on stand but also going on about 2 western hunts a year. I’m looking for a pack that can handle both without making huge sacrifices to the tree stand side of things. I’ve tried the mystery ranch pop up and liked it, but really wanting something made in the USA. Not opposed to mr still but looking at all options. Any recommendations?

pdun24

FNG
It depends on how much you're wanting/willing to spend. MR makes a good product at a good price point (especially for 2 trips per year.) Many of these packs are designed and produced for western hunting with very little intention of use in the whitetail woods. You could buy a frame from one of these companies and multiple bags that are compatible, such as the exo k3 frame with the 1800 bag and 4800 bag and that would give you tons of flexibility, but at a very large price tag.

*zap*

WKR
My SG 6200 collapses down so well that I find it ideal and would not want a smaller pack. Really no weight penalty to speak of either.

cap

FNG
Same boat. I currently use the molle straps on my tree stand but its not the most comfortable. I want something that i can put the treestand and sticks in the loadshelf and also haul out meat if needed.

Interested in hearing opinions.

OP
S

st59

FNG
It depends on how much you're wanting/willing to spend. MR makes a good product at a good price point (especially for 2 trips per year.) Many of these packs are designed and produced for western hunting with very little intention of use in the whitetail woods. You could buy a frame from one of these companies and multiple bags that are compatible, such as the exo k3 frame with the 1800 bag and 4800 bag and that would give you tons of flexibility, but at a very large price tag.
I’ve looked at a few of the exo bags. I’d like to stay around $700 I know that’s probably gonna be pretty tough though. Most western hunts we plan to camp at truck so it’s not going to be a ton of gear in the pack.

OP
S

st59

FNG
My SG 6200 collapses down so well that I find it ideal and would not want a smaller pack. Really no weight penalty to speak of either.
Have you used it tree stand hunting before? Looks like a good bag, plus have a dealer close that carries them

*zap*

WKR
Carries a stand just fine in the load shelf. Plenty of room in bag for warm clothes and sticks can strap on the outside.

*zap*

WKR
Anyone near my geographical location is welcome to try a pack/frame. MR guide lite, SG Krux or X-curve and Kifaru duplex available at the moment. Molle 2 and alice also available.

All medium belts except the Kifaru which is small.

Last edited:
OP
S

st59

FNG
Anyone near my geographical location is welcome to try a pack/frame. MR guide lite, SG Krux or X-curve and Kifaru duplex available at the moment. Molle 2 and alice also available.

All medium belts except the Kifaru which is small.
Good offer. Think I may just get over it and do the mr pop up. Hate that it’s not USA made but for the price seems like it’s probably best bet. Decisions decisions! Still just looking at all options

rghent

FNG
I’ve been running an Exo k3 4800 and it was perfect for me for a backpack elk hunt and compressed way down for saddle hunting in the northeast last year. I ended up picking up their 1800 bag for whitetail hunting cause it’s a little bit slimmer and wanted a hunting day pack for western trips or backpacking. But access to the load shelf is really slick and easy. And makes getting to my saddle platform and climbing sticks really easy. Maybe a 3200 would be good for in between if you only had to choose one.

OP
S

st59

FNG
I’ve been running an Exo k3 4800 and it was perfect for me for a backpack elk hunt and compressed way down for saddle hunting in the northeast last year. I ended up picking up their 1800 bag for whitetail hunting cause it’s a little bit slimmer and wanted a hunting day pack for western trips or backpacking. But access to the load shelf is really slick and easy. And makes getting to my saddle platform and climbing sticks really easy. Maybe a 3200 would be good for in between if you only had to choose one.
I’ve been eyeing the 3200 a little bit actually. Looks like a slick bag and I think you’re right on about it being a good mix between whitetail to western hunts. I worry about it being slightly big for hanging in a tree though.

rghent

FNG
I’ve been eyeing the 3200 a little bit actually. Looks like a slick bag and I think you’re right on about it being a good mix between whitetail to western hunts. I worry about it being slightly big for hanging in a tree though.
I had the same worry, but the bag itself compresses down really nicely. The bulkiest part of it is the hip belt, so I suppose it all depends on how you hang your pack. I use a daisy chain and hang it on a small carabiner with the back against the tree, if the tree is small enough I just buckle the hip belt together around the tree and it keeps it nice and tight to the tree

Trial153

WKR
MR pop ups are ideal design for the application. My only issue is that martial for the bags could be more quite for whitetail hunting. That said I used a pop 18 quite a note successfully

Whitty

FNG
I have two Exo packs. I have an Exo 3500 that I have used out west the last 3 yrs and also in the midwest...love it for a whitetail pack especially after November. Can pack all my archery doo dads, insulated bibs and jacket, thermos, and can even strap your bow for longer walks to the stand. Compresses flat when empty and has the loop up top to hang. I just let the hip belt "hug" the tree or buckle it like the above poster. Put the thermos in the side pocket closest to me and use the longer side pocket to stash other items that I might need quick access to.

Have used packed in on a 5 day mulie hunt and two antelope hunts. Liked it so much, I recently bought a K3 4800 pack...contemplating selling the 3500 as the 4800 compresses well also and I don't need two ha!

Can easily stash a hang on between the frame and bag and made in the USA. Highly recommend.

OP
S

st59

FNG
I have two Exo packs. I have an Exo 3500 that I have used out west the last 3 yrs and also in the midwest...love it for a whitetail pack especially after November. Can pack all my archery doo dads, insulated bibs and jacket, thermos, and can even strap your bow for longer walks to the stand. Compresses flat when empty and has the loop up top to hang. I just let the hip belt "hug" the tree or buckle it like the above poster. Put the thermos in the side pocket closest to me and use the longer side pocket to stash other items that I might need quick access to.

Have used packed in on a 5 day mulie hunt and two antelope hunts. Liked it so much, I recently bought a K3 4800 pack...contemplating selling the 3500 as the 4800 compresses well also and I don't need two ha!

Can easily stash a hang on between the frame and bag and made in the USA. Highly recommend.
Good to know. I think it’s between the 3500 and mr pop up. If you’re interested in selling the 3500 I may be interested!

OP
S

st59

FNG
MR pop ups are ideal design for the application. My only issue is that martial for the bags could be more quite for whitetail hunting. That said I used a pop 18 quite a note successfully
Yea I noticed that yesterday when I was handling the bag. Luckily once I’ve set my stand I’m usually good besides water, still a slight concern though

Arwhite90

FNG
I am in the same boat as yourself, Midwest whitetail and turkey hunter but I will be taking my first of hopefully many more trips out west this fall(3rd season rifle in CO). I have been eyeing up both the Nomad 2 and stryker from Kifaru international with the intention they would make great day packs and load haulers(meat or stands) and also possess the ability to carry a large dry bag or "camp bag". Additionally having one of their frames gives you the ability to use other bags or add-ons in the future, which you would also get with many of the other top names in the backpack game. I think pricing the frame and initial bag purchase out came in somewhere in the $700 range give or take. They are also from what I understand 100% american made which is always a plus. Just my two cents at the moment and I have not pulled the trigger on a purchase yet either.