Western Washington ELK hunters?

Jason277

WKR
Hello all, I'm starting my third-year elk hunting in Wa, also my third year as an adult hunter in general. I was able to get my first deer last year after putting a ton of time scouting, using trail cams, and just being in the woods. This year I have been scouting elk. The 2 GMUs I'm working on are 454 and 460. I am archery hunting, just curious what units you guys hunt in? Not looking for anyone's spots just curious the units people tend to use. Thanks, Jason

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
I've taken elk in 3 different W WA elk units. Obviously you can look up harvest data on WDFW, but remember that some of those #'s are skewed due to private landowners being able to harvest an elk with a very high success rate. Find a unit with a good number of elk that is close enough you can spend the most amount of time in it. The key is finding dozens of pockets that hold elk that you can work through during season.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I've looked at the harvest reports, I just have to go where elk are within scouting distance. There are little pockets but they don't hold many elk.

MP.hunter

FNG
454 and 460 most of the elk are on private. Out of those two 460 is a better bet for public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I use to hunt 460 but mainly 4601 but the property I hunted on was sold and the guy moved to the East side. He had 10 acres with a homemade tree stand that was 10x15 and tons of elk where killed out of it every year with his family and friends. It was before the baiting limits and he would dump a ton of apples and have alfalfa out and the elk came in pretty much every day like clockwork.

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
I use to hunt 460 but mainly 4601 but the property I hunted on was sold and the guy moved to the East side. He had 10 acres with a homemade tree stand that was 10x15 and tons of elk where killed out of it every year with his family and friends. It was before the baiting limits and he would dump a ton of apples and have alfalfa out and the elk came in pretty much every day like clockwork.
That's funny, I've met a few locals who harvest their annual elk like it is the pasture raised beef for the year. Personally if it was my property I'd charge a $5k guide fee to somebody for the apple killed elk and go hike around for 100 miles to shoot one in a hell hole.