western wy bear ?

hey guys ill be deer/elk hunting just south of jackson hole this fall and im going to buy the otc bear tag. with the thought that i might bump into one. but i have never hunted bear before so i really dont know the first thing about fall bear hunting spot and stalk style so any advice would be appritiated.

B

bearguide

we always carry a bear permit in wyo , and we see bears every year in the course of hunting deer and elk, if you are spotting for deer you will see bears

OP
flatlander51
im not a resident so i have to stay out of the gros ventre wilderness area. but ill be just south of there in the teton nat. forest.

OP
flatlander51
Are there particular areas to glass for bears in the fall or do they seem do just be any where?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Black bears are relatively easy prey... Their eyes aren't particularly good and they're not nearly as wary as a mule deer. I think they hear at least as well as you and I, but again, not like a muley buck. You will have to stalk them while they're up and moving though because they bed in super thick stuff and you're not likely to find them or get close enough for a shot in thick, dark cover. Move quickly when they're looking away and/or moving and freeze when they look or turn their head - stay low like any other stalk. You can make up ground on them in this manner. Don't expect for a second that you can get away with any questionable wind - their noses are 10X better than anything I've hunted. If you see their nose go straight up in the air, you better shoot now because you have about 3 seconds before it's over.

I move quicker when stalking bears because they are less wary and they're often on the move. Many of the stalks end when they simply move off into cover so time is of the essence.

Good luck! Spot and stalk bears are a blast!

Coop