Western Wyoming rifle elk

mossyhorn

FNG
First off, I've never rifle hunted elk so I'm unfamiliar with what they're doing that time of year. I have hunted elk a lot during archery season. I drew a general tag in Wyoming two years in a row and have been unsuccessful both years while archery hunting. I've had lots of encounters and been really close to killings Bulls but just haven't been able to get it done.

This year I'm going to try and make it over for a few days to try with a rifle. I'm headed to se Idaho for deer and if I'm able to tag out early I'd like to try to go fill my elk tag.

What is the pressure like compared to say rifle deer in region G? Will the elk be vocal at all to help locate them? My experience during archery is that they are timber bound and I have seen next to no elk in the open. Can I expect that with some snow and the onset of winter that they may venture into the open more to feed or should I plan on finding hillsides that afford me the ability to glass down into timber and just sit?

Would love to hear some tactics for this time of year. Having this tag unfilled in my pocket for a second year is giving me fits.

avluey

FNG
I hunt that area both rifle and archery - if you plan to hunt an area that is accessible by road or ATV the pressure will be very high (especially as the rifle deer season has already put a ton of pressure on them). Most hunters in that area are hunting with several guys and pushing timber with sitters blasting away at them once they bump them out. Elk season gets even more hunters out than deer season and again, the hunting groups are usually anywhere from 3-10 guys. If you can find a spot away from all of that the elk will still be timbered up pretty hard so the great majority of elk killed are as described above. I have killed two bulls just before last light by picking a good spot and sitting on it until a lone bull emerges to start feeding - both 300+ yard shots with a long walk in the dark and then a search for blood under flashlight. Makes for a long night finding, field dressing, and packing out a bull but worth it IMHO. The elk will be nearly silent by mid to late October; have never heard a bugle that time of year.

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate the advice you've given, Thank you.

LaGriz

WKR
Mossyhorn,

I have been archery hunting the last few years and am looking forward to a future rifle hunt. I would glass the avalanche sites on a north facing slope where the hunting pressure is low. Post rut bulls often hole up in the blow downs and nasty stuff around those small openings. I like to poke thru the timber mid-day to early afternoon looking for a bedded bull, ear, or antler. I do this still hunting with a steady wind and often smell elk before seeing them. Action can be instant, so I remove my sling and have my scope on the low power setting, rifle at the ready. Listen for the Clump, Clump, Clump of a big animal getting up. Elk are often much slower to exit than a pressured Whitetail. It will be quick but you can sometimes get them in the sight picture before they disappear. It helps to "have your mind made up" to shoot a bull or a cow so you don't have to weigh that issue while taking aim. If there is an antler restriction this can be tougher to accomplish in the few seconds you will have to figure it out.

If you have a snow event followed by a warm up hunt the shoots, small openings, and edges of the timber. I have a hunch the elk don't like the constant dripping and falling of ice and snow while they are bedded. I feel it makes them nervous as this limits there ability to detect predators and hunters. On one WY rifle hunt we found the elk completely timbered up. Once the dipping of melting snow started they moved out into the more open spots and could then be glassed. Anyone else find this to be true?

Good Luck on your hunt
LaGriz

avluey

FNG
Griz, great post and great advice. I had not noticed the post snow change, but makes a bit of sense to me.

Like Griz said, when mid-day hunting in the timber take it VERY slow and look for any hint of an animal bedded in the deadfalls - the nastier it looks the more likely it is to hold one. Wind in your face you will often smell them, so slow down even more and glass the crap out of every possible bed you can - not just in front of you, but to the sides and even behind you. There have been a few times I've heard a bull get up and head right where I'd just come from, patiently waiting for me to get past them before making their exit. They are much more patient than deer and more confident that they aren't being seen in my experience.

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
Again, thanks for the tips. These are very helpful and have given me some things to think about and to be mindful of once I get up into the mountains.

Thank you!