Western Wyoming water availability

mans9110

FNG
Hi All,
Would love to hear perspectives on water availability on the ground in western Wyoming (eg units 89, 90, 86, 84, that general area) as it relates to back country hunting. The unit that I started hunting in Colorado the first few years had lots of water and it was never an issue. However, in the unit in SW Colorado I hunted last year it was tough to find water and you could go a day without crossing it It really impacted our plans. All the creeks on maps were dry and you had to by luck come across a spring where there was some ground water. Any input as I currently e-scout would be helpful. Thanks!

I find that in my western Montana areas if you see wayer on the topo map there will be water. But in Wyoming that’s not the case in the units you mentioned. It’s usually lower. Sometimes much lower. On a dry year even lower and yes that can mean the elk move down. If you can find a little hidden water source up high in that country it can be a gold mine. I’m always snooping around in places that look like they might have water.

Last edited:
I'm in 67/68 in NE Wyoming. Water is not an issue at all. Small lakes, ponds, creeks, springs, everywhere. Even in the driest parts of summer and fall finding water is not a problem.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Not usually too much of factor when Elk hunting. Can be more of an issue when deer hunting the highest basins during archery where the water is some thousands of grueling feet below. But the elk tend to be in drainages, closer to the water.

TJ

WKR
Like others have said, there is water everywhere. Having said that, make sure you bring some waders. There are areas you can access where others cannot. I wish I had known this earlier, if would have been very beneficial.