Wet saddles

Just curious, what do y’all do when making pack trips and you have to deal with rain or snow on your saddles?
I’m not afraid to get a saddle wet, it’s gonna happen, if you take care of it it’s not a problem. But when you go in for a week out there and you’re dealing with rain, and possibly freezing temps overnight on an already wet saddle, what do you do? Ride with saddle covers? Make sure they’re oiled up good and just live in a wet saddle till you get out? Synthetic saddles?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Cover them up when not in use with a manty tarp. We all try to get them up off the ground. When using them we just don’t worry about it. Make sure the leather is oiled and everything taken care of before and after a trip. They’re just a toll. Use them, but take care of them and keep em clean. Know Robby likes the shnthetic saddles because they’re light and more weather resistant.

OP
S
I gotcha. I kinda figured just was curious. Saddles get wet if you use them enough and we don’t fret them getting wet just take care of them before and after. Trips here with horses usually are only a few days, so you can get back and get them taken care of quicker than a week or so like would potentially be out there. I’ve never brought them to Co to hunt, but may do a fishing trip next summer.

Logan T

WKR
Like gator said, just cover them up with a tarp of some sort when not in use. try to put them on a log to keep them off the ground and mice from chewing on anything.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
When my saddle got completely soaked, I dried it with a soft towel as much as I could without rubbing away the leather, then brought it home to dry completely. Finished with oil. It recovered fine.

OP
S
When my saddle got completely soaked, I dried it with a soft towel as much as I could without rubbing away the leather, then brought it home to dry completely. Finished with oil. It recovered fine.

Thanks and yeah same here. I was wondering if y’all do anything different on a week long (+) trip where it gets wet at the beginning and potentially stays wet for all week.