What 270 round for elk?

I am your typical whitetail hunter from OK. what 270 round would be best for elk in CO? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Austink47

WKR
I have been very impressed with Barns TTSX, based on 6 or 7 kills, 70-400 yards, every thing went down quick. That’s just coming from a normal guy, not a expert.

130gr-150gr Accubond, whichever your rifle likes most would be my reccomendation. In all honesty though, basically any plain old 150gr cup and core bullet whithout a plastic tip will do you just fine if you don't want to throw money at a bunch of expensive ammo.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
If shooting a lead bullet, I'd lean on the heavier side. Nosler Accubond or Hornady Interbond in 140 or 150. Nosler Partition in 150 gr has killed loads of elk. The 130 TTSX or GMX is are good one's if you want to shoot monolithic and can be found in loaded ammo. Put it through the lungs, dead elk!

KU_Geo

WKR
150 partition. Best I have found for general elk hunting. Killed elk with 130 & 140 accubonds, 130 TTSX, but still prefer the 150 partition due to penetration and performance.

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
I am your typical whitetail hunter from OK. what 270 round would be best for elk in CO? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
What are you currently shooting now? Chances are you probably have at least an adequate bullet for elk hunting.

OP
shinerbauck
Nosler trophy grade 130gr accubond
I think jumping to the 150 would suffice but wanted to See what others are shooting.

Spoonbill

WKR
Nosler trophy grade 130gr accubond
I think jumping to the 150 would suffice but wanted to See what others are shooting.
Last elk I killed was a cow at 200 yards with a 130 grain sierra game king. It didn’t penetrate but I did recover the bullet on the other side right under the hide. I think a 130 accubond would be fine as long as you put the bullet in the right place.

WKR
I use the barnes 129 lrx in my .270 for elk hunting. I wouldnt have a problem using your 130 accubond eithers. If you are shooting those well then I would stick with them unless you wanted to change it up.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I assume you’re referring to .270 Win, since you didn’t specify WSM. I agree with others on here recommending the Nosler Accubond or Partition, 140-150 grain. Are you handloading or looking for factory ammo? Either way, one of the best resources for bullets for specific animals is the Ballistics Studies site. Here is their .270 Win recommendations.

J Dubaya

FNG
Has anyone had any luck using the new 140 gr Terminal Ascent from federal for Elk?

J Dubaya

FNG
I should add that I have been using the 150 gr fusion in my Tikka T3 and they perform flawlessly so far (shot a nice BlkTail with it this year).. Just not happy with the ballistics, past that on paper... thinking I need to make a change so that I can possibly use the 270 for elk if I ever want to.. Looking at the ballistics on paper for the TA and looks impressive. Unfortunately reloading is not an option at this time... 😢

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
145 gr ELD-X at 2,970 FPS...generates over 1,500 ft/bs out to 600 yards. That should work for most elk hunting needs.