What 6.5cm factory ammo for hunting

204guy

WKR
Back to the OP... stay off the shoulder bones if you don't want destroyed meat. Even a stout bullet like a barnes into a leg bone is going to give you bone fragments everywhere- at high velocity impacts. Those bone fragments make a lot of secondary projectiles. It's pretty hard to find a 6.5 bullet that doesn't work for deer. The 129 Hornady is a really well rounded bullet that opens well but holds together, not a great bc though.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
Back to the OP... stay off the shoulder bones if you don't want destroyed meat. Even a stout bullet like a barnes into a leg bone is going to give you bone fragments everywhere- at high velocity impacts. Those bone fragments make a lot of secondary projectiles. It's pretty hard to find a 6.5 bullet that doesn't work for deer. The 129 Hornady is a really well rounded bullet that opens well but holds together, not a great bc though.

You are correct I could of held a little farther back. I just didnt expect all that residual destruction, i figured that amax would zip right through the small bodied deer we have in Southern California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evergreen

WKR
Have you chronographed the factory stuff out of your rifle? I was disappointed to see mine doing mid 2650 out of a x-bolt with a 22" barrel. For hunting it'd prefer to see closer to 2800fps with my Creed, think I can get there with reloading and 130gr bullets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I averaged 2720 with the factory ELDX from my X-bolt, thought it was kinda weird as the factory Nosler 129 ABLR averaged 2630. I did get .5 groups at 200 with the ELDX so I'm sticking with that for now.

117d-rto

FNG
I averaged 2720 with the factory ELDX from my X-bolt, thought it was kinda weird as the factory Nosler 129 ABLR averaged 2630. I did get .5 groups at 200 with the ELDX so I'm sticking with that for now.
How many rounds down the tube does your rifle have? I think that's part of why mine was slow, chrono'd the ELDX at around 50 rounds down mine. Going to retest again at 200 rounds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Evergreen

WKR
About 140 when I chrono'd, does yours have the muzzle brake? Not sure if that makes a difference or not but mine has the factory MB.

stevevan

WKR
I can achieve over 2900 fps safely with my 24" Creedmoor using a handload with a 130 AB and Hybrid 100V. Accuracy was very good also. Factory rounds seldom live up there published ballistics.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I've got speed envy from the rest of you guys. I'm only getting an average of 2550fps (have to recheck my notes to confirm but it was either that or 2650fps) out of my Tikka CTR 6.5 20" barrel with the Hornady 140gr ELD-M. That was doing five 5 shot groups and taking an over average of 25 shots. I've got about 250 rounds down the tube so I should probably re-chrono and see if it picked up any. The only reason I would reload for this gun is to bump up the speed because I'm getting 1/2 MOA or better with 5 shot group factory loads.

Last edited:

Rick

FNG
I had some really slow factory 140gr ELD-M ammo also. I bought a case / 10 boxes and chono'd a few rounds from different boxes. They averaged 2480 fps on a RAR with 22" barrel. At the time I assumed my barrel was just real slow. There were about 150 rounds on the barrel. I didn't pay too much attention to the lot numbers because they were the same case. Recently I was shooting high so I ran a few strings over the chrono and now I'm averaging 2610 fps. Weather conditions were similar. New velocity fixed the dope problem and brought me back on target at range.

I've also shot about 100 rounds of Prime 130s and they have held steady about 2750 - 2760 fps without any changes to POI so I assume the Hornady stuff was to blame for the low velocity.

ianpadron

WKR
I had some really slow factory 140gr ELD-M ammo also. I bought a case / 10 boxes and chono'd a few rounds from different boxes. They averaged 2480 fps on a RAR with 22" barrel. At the time I assumed my barrel was just real slow. There were about 150 rounds on the barrel. I didn't pay too much attention to the lot numbers because they were the same case. Recently I was shooting high so I ran a few strings over the chrono and now I'm averaging 2610 fps. Weather conditions were similar. New velocity fixed the dope problem and brought me back on target at range.

I've also shot about 100 rounds of Prime 130s and they have held steady about 2750 - 2760 fps without any changes to POI so I assume the Hornady stuff was to blame for the low velocity.
2480??? Might as well use a slingshot

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've got speed envy from the rest of you guys. I'm only getting an average of 2550fps (have to recheck my notes to confirm but it was either that or 2650fps) out of my Tikka CTR 6.5 20" barrel with the Hornady 140gr ELD-M. That was doing five 5 shot groups and taking an over average of 25 shots. I've got about 250 rounds down the tube so I should probably re-chrono and see if it picked up any. The only reason I would reload for this gun is to bump up the speed because I'm getting 1/2 MOA or better with 5 shot group factory loads.

That seems about right from a 20" barrel. I was only getting 2630 fps with 4" more barrel. 20 fps per inch loss isn't bad at all.

Try the prime 130's. They are shooting really well in my 6.5 tikka CTR. Shot 40 of them at 600 yards today. 3 to 4" 3 shot groups at 600 yards. I am averaging 2700 FPS chrono thru magneto speed. Loving this gun. So easy to shoot.