What a crappy day!

TheGDog

WKR
Sigh... feel for you man. In 2020 had to put down my Rat Terrier. She developed Ulcerating Tumors in several spots on her body. Looked like it was likely because it was in the lymph nodes. So once it gets in the lymph nodes, chances are uber low.

Poor thing... one of the tumors was like a centimeter away from her cooch. She was often licking at it towards the end. Had to change out bedding every single day. She'd lost 30% of her body weight be the time I called it.

I really thought I'd be way messed up when she passed. However.. I think because of the slow decline I was more mentally prepared, ya know?

On the day of the euthanasia... afterward back home... sitting their mulling over memories of her... I couldn't help but just keep getting these smiles and grins because I realized I had basically nothing but great memories with her.

We're down to just the little Chi now. And she's 15yo now as well. Like 2-3 teeth, has some Mast cell tumors that are small. And apparently now her Heart Murmur has increased to where her having another surgery is likely out of the question. I say that part because she'd gotten bit by a black lab while the boy was walking her thru the neighborhood. Day before Halloween 2020. (Which was like 2 months after putting Brizzy down) I was trying to GTFO the door and start the drive because I drew a spot at Wister for Ducks. When I get the frantic call from my boy!

So I beat cheeks in the truck to get over there, and when I arrive the daughter in that family and my son are sitting on the curb and she's trying to console him. The father is holding her in his arms and she's giving me that "Daddy... Help!" kinda eyes-wide-open stare she'd do when frightened or stressed.

That lab must have got her good to because the tear went from shoulder blade to shoulder blade. They couldn't just staple it... they had to put her under, clean it up inside, then suture it shut.

I want to get a new dog. But.. I think it's unfair to do that to her. Subject her to a bigger breed pup that might harass her a lil bit when I'm not there. So for now gonna wait it out until she also "crosses the rainbow bridge" before I go get a Jagd Terrier pup.

Remind the boy of all the good memories of the dog and also tell him that she loved him so she wouldn't want him to be sad about it. That might help re-orient his perspective/mood about it all a little sooner.

Last edited:
We had to make this decision a couple years ago. 14 years with a pit-lab mix.

Never cried so hard in my life, but it’s part of the deal.

cnelk

WKR
I feel for ya. It’s so damn hard.
I made a thread about losing my dog a couple weeks ago.

I layed his ashes to rest yesterday under his favorite tree in the yard

14B826BE-B472-43E8-A258-D860F5C90776.jpeg292B985C-8143-4894-8485-555FD0C2088E.jpeg

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I feel for you and your family. Losing a dog at an age where it is expected is bad enough, losing a dog suddenly in their prime is very sad.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for your loss. We had something similar in May with our 9 y/o German Shepherd.

10AM shooting bow and playing in the yard
4:30 PM having seizures
7AM next morning have to put her down

I've been married almost 10 years and my wife has never seen me cry. She thought I was born with an abnormality of no tear ducts. She knows otherwise now.

TheGDog

WKR
I feel for ya. It’s so damn hard.
I made a thread about losing my dog a couple weeks ago.

I layed his ashes to rest yesterday under his favorite tree in the yard
Hrmm... I like that thoughtful use of the ashes man. Now ya got me thinking about doing that with Brizzy.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Never realize how attached you are to them until you lose them.
Had to put my Lil Buddy down last summer.
I did not handle it well at all.
I still miss that little sucker.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We’ve lost my last two GSP’s prematurely. One at 3 one at 7. Pretty rough. Haven’t had the motivation to train another dog, so I gave up bird hunting. We just have a house lab now. Training a hunting dog makes a different bond.

gelton

WKR
Something similar happened to me recently. Drove 4 hours down to the coast for a week's vacation with my dog in his kennel in the back of the truck under a topper with the windows open. Same thing we have done dozens of times. In fact, for at least 3/4 of the trip, it was pouring rain so not very hot.

Get there to open the back and find him completely out of it with a heat stroke and bleeding from the mouth from an apparent seizure where he bit holes through his tongue.

Doused him with water for 45 minutes and rushed him to an emergency vet clinic when things did not improve. They worked on him for 6 hours but his bloodwork showed his kidneys were failing and that he likely had cancer.

Had to pull the plug. I have lost other dogs in the past but always had time to prepare. The suddenness of having to make that decision and the guilt that I likely contributed to what happened is one that I am still trying to get over.

He was 10 years old. I know the feeling.

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
Im so sorry for your loss! I had to have our 10yr old GSP put down the day after Christmas this past yr. He was diagnosed with Lymphoma and lung cancer the week prior. He wasnt in pain and was eating and drinking so I decided to take him home till he showed signs of pain. He made sure to make it to Christmas! That evening he went downhill quickly and I took him in the next day. The wife never seen me cry like that before.

Rob5589

WKR
Sorry to hear, man. When I had to put my girl down, one day we were getting ready for duck season, the next day she could barely stand. Cancer. Still breaks my heart.