What about Hogs?

Okay, I know hogs are not a "real" game animal like the others that each have their own forum...but they are really fun to hunt and quite tasty! I am going on a hog hunt in OK next month.

I would love to get inspired by seeing some pics of hogs you have taken in the past! Post 'em on up!

Here are some of mine:

Attachments

• 2009 hog hunt 3 web.jpg
    2009 hog hunt 3 web.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 25
  • ok hog 13.jpg
    ok hog 13.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG00160-20110324-1407.jpg
    IMG00160-20110324-1407.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Ok Hogs 2-1.jpg
    Ok Hogs 2-1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 22

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dude....when's the last time you heard someone say " WOW, the was a rough hike in, but these hogs will be worth the trip" OR " what type of gear do I need for my next hog hunt and is a 3 season tent going to be enough?" OR "should I use a 65 or 85 mm spotting scope on my next hog hunt?"

The feeder goes off at noon, so we better get out to the blind!

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Dude....when's the last time you heard someone say " WOW, the was a rough hike in, but these hogs will be worth the trip" OR " what type of gear do I need for my next hog hunt and is a 3 season tent going to be enough?" OR "should I use a 65 or 85 mm spotting scope on my next hog hunt?"

Haha!! That's funny, even for a Texan.

bohntr

WKR

You need to come hunt the free ranging hogs in CA.....you might gain a different perspective! :)

OP
Bowhuntr64

Okay, Aron. That is funny. Just had to speak up for the hogs! It is a different kind of "Backcountry" in Oklahoma and Arkansas :)

I was supposed to go to OK two years ago for a hog hunt but I had to turn it down because I had promised a buddy a trip to Kansas with me for his first turkey. I put 20 birds in his lap in 3 days and he still went home empty handed. Even put the shotgun in his hands the last morning and captured 18 minutes of a 10" tom working in on a side hill in the sun and that didn't even work. But I can't wait to get a good hog hunt in ... maybe one day.

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a couple I've taken from California. No feeders here and some very rugged country. Great animal to spot and stalk..........especially in April
MikesPictures052.jpg

2007huntingearly062.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

Last edited:

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading down in a month to do a Turkey Pig combo hunt with a couple friends. I can't wait!!!

Here are a couple of Mikyla's

This one was on her 12th birthday. Her first opportunity to hunt for herself.
IMG_0466-1.jpg

2007huntingearly047.jpg

JSonn

FNG
I agree that hiking into the back country, living off your back, spot and stalking bull elk that are screaming in your face is quite the rush...

but tracking hogs in the thick palmetos during hot and humid Florida nights, using catch dogs to subdue your prey so it doesnt charge and tear you open with 4 inch tusks, long enough for you to stick a knife into it's side until it bleeds to death just feet infront of you...I don't see guys booking tickets and making plans for that.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider

Aron: Are you talking about hogs or whitetails? Lets see! I climbed up in a tree, deer walks by, I shoot it! Just kidding also. LOL!

This is a 10yr old thread.

But, hogs are a great big game challenge.

The best part is you can actually get a tag to hunt them.

They are a day or two closer to most hunters than the traditional western hunting destinations.

They are smarter than anything you've ever chased before

They are delicious.

You can actually buy a license, no draws, no preference points, just go hunt.

And, all the toys you bought for elk, and antelope work perfect for hog hunting.

So, to summarize:

Closer
Cheaper
Delicious
And, you can go every year, plant hunts with buddies, because: You can actually buy a license, no draws, no preference points, just go hunt.