What am I missing? (another one of those threads...)

cured_ham

WKR
Rounding out my clothing for 2021 Elk. Will be in south central CO for the middle half of September. Was there last year and was miserably unprepared for the ungodly amount of snow.

Pants: Sitka Mountain Pants
Base Layers: Merino Short Sleeve Shirt and First Lite 3/4 zip long johns
Long sleeve: Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody
Insulation: Sitka Fanatic hoody or Kelvin Lite Hoody (the discontinued one)
Vest: Sitka Jetstream
Shell: ?????
Rain: Cheap field and stream windbreaker/rainjacket, fine for popup showers
Socks: Merino
Puffy: Random Cabelas Puffy
Boots: Schnees Beartooth uninsulated

I am thinking I am lacking a windproof outer layer but the Kelvin lite hoody did an ok job of that while in tree stands. Any recommendations?

Stratus or Jetstream Jacket seem like good options. Not familiar with FL or Kuiu options

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
Use your rain jacket as your shell...if I were to replace anything on your list it would be raingear. CO is known to get a ton of rain some years during archery.

Most anything that is waterproof is also windproof.

Last edited:
OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Use your rain jacket as your shell...if I were to replace anything on your list it would be raingear. CO is known to get a ton or rain some years during archery.

Most anything that is waterproof is also windproof.
Good point

Do you have a jacket you recommend?

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
Most hunting brand rain gear IMO is way overpriced. If money is an issue try to find a used goretex on eBay for a fraction of the price. I couldn’t afford a first lite rain shell (200) so I found a Patagonia rain shell for 50. I’m also doing a two week elk in September so I’m prepping everything now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
Look at REI and Eddie Bauer, both have less expensive options. I dont see gloves or headgear (cap, beanie)......these both help keep your warm and provide sun protection......

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Are you hunting from the truck or backpacking? If backpacking here are my suggestions. If hunting from the truck, disregard since you can get away with a little more weight.

Pick one of either the Fanatic Hoody or softshell jacket. I go back and forth on this myself but if it's going to be colder and/or windy I bring a Sitka Timberline jacket (now discontinued), if it's not going to be below freezing more than a night or two I'll bring a Core Heavyweight Hoody (same weight as Fanatic Hoody).

Pick the best warmth to weight jacket between the Kelvin and Cabela's jackets.

I'd look into a puffy vest instead of the Jetstream since it provides more warmth to the weight. A vest is nice to have, but on a backpack hunt a softshell vest doesn't offer much for the extra pound in the pack.

As others have said you don't want to be stuck without rain gear. Sitka Dewpoint is nice, but I also have an Outdoor Research Foray jacket that was significantly cheaper and OR has good sales throughout the year.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Are you hunting from the truck or backpacking? If backpacking here are my suggestions. If hunting from the truck, disregard since you can get away with a little more weight.

Pick one of either the Fanatic Hoody or softshell jacket. I go back and forth on this myself but if it's going to be colder and/or windy I bring a Sitka Timberline jacket (now discontinued), if it's not going to be below freezing more than a night or two I'll bring a Core Heavyweight Hoody (same weight as Fanatic Hoody).

Pick the best warmth to weight jacket between the Kelvin and Cabela's jackets.

I'd look into a puffy vest instead of the Jetstream since it provides more warmth to the weight. A vest is nice to have, but on a backpack hunt a softshell vest doesn't offer much for the extra pound in the pack.

As others have said you don't want to be stuck without rain gear. Sitka Dewpoint is nice, but I also have an Outdoor Research Foray jacket that was significantly cheaper and OR has good sales throughout the year.
I do a little of both. Due to the area I’m hunting I don’t pack out more than 3 or 4 days from the truck. Most of the time is spent on day or two day hunts locating elk.

I’ll check out the OR rain jacket. I have good rain gear I fish in but they are not fitted to layer.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Look at REI and Eddie Bauer, both have less expensive options. I dont see gloves or headgear (cap, beanie)......these both help keep your warm and provide sun protection......
I have those. Good thought because those weren’t on my packing list.

Merino beanie
Soft shell gloves.

Mcnasty

FNG
i would second the recommendation for good rain gear as well as OR as a non hunting brand. Highly recommend something with pit zips for venting heat. The marmot precip jacket and pants for the weight and $. size it not to compress your insulating layers.

Simon1523

FNG
Rounding out my clothing for 2021 Elk. Will be in south central CO for the middle half of September. Was there last year and was miserably unprepared for the ungodly amount of snow.

Pants: Sitka Mountain Pants
Base Layers: Merino Short Sleeve Shirt and First Lite 3/4 zip long johns
Long sleeve: Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody
Insulation: Sitka Fanatic hoody or Kelvin Lite Hoody (the discontinued one)
Vest: Sitka Jetstream
Shell: ?????
Rain: Cheap field and stream windbreaker/rainjacket, fine for popup showers
Socks: Merino
Puffy: Random Cabelas Puffy
Boots: Schnees Beartooth uninsulated

I am thinking I am lacking a windproof outer layer but the Kelvin lite hoody did an ok job of that while in tree stands. Any recommendations?

Stratus or Jetstream Jacket seem like good options. Not familiar with FL or Kuiu options
Jetsteam is a great piece and versatile