what ammo for a 270?

sk1

WKR
Hey guys, I'm 99% archery hunter, and havent shot my rifle in about 5 years now....but i drew an any weapon late season cow elk tag I plan on using it for. Back when I lived in Wisconsin and rifle hunted deer I used just plain old remington 150 grain bullets but it seems like every box shot different....but I hunted heavy timber and rarely shot over 75 yards, so getting sighted in wasn't too hard.

I know nothing really about higher end ammo, but was thinking of trying Hornady 150 grain ammo out my my ruger 270 bolt action......anyone have any opinions on what ammo I should go with, grain as well, I had someone tell me 130 for more bullet speed, but I would have chosen the 150. I am hoping to be able to get comfortable shooting to 300 yards, which for some is nothing, but I don't shoot that often so it seems like a long ways to me

thanks for any thoughts!

140 gr Nosler Accubonds would be my pick.

Either Winchester Supreme or Federal Premium loads feature that bullet

Shrek

WKR
I would look at federal premium with the 140gr accubond or the 150gr nosler partition. Try both and see what your rifle likes. Don't forget to clean it really good and heck that the action screws are tight. Stay far away from that winchest supreme with the coated bullets. That stuff permanently fouls barrels ! How they get away with selling that junk is beyond me. I have a friend who has an old 700 bdl in 270 win that used to shoot well under an inch at 100 yrds . He tried some supremes with the coating and it is now a 3" group gun that sits in his safe waiting to be rebarreled. I tried to warn him but.... noooo ! Stay away from the fusion ammo as well as they blow up a lot. Got a box when they first came out when I left my handloads at the house. Had two give up that week. Got both deer but had to track them a long way :( . If you have a friend who hand loads you could try some others. Old winchester powerpoints and remington corloks work well on a budget. Also the old hornady customs with the 150gr psp bullet is good to go. All of these are reliable to 400yrds.

Shrek

WKR
Also , all ammo by anyone will shoot a little different lot to lot so always check a new box from a different lot.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
thanks guys I'll look into those suggestions, i realize box to box could be a different lot and not shoot the same, but the remingtons weren't even remotely close,...i have several boxes sitting around that were almost empty before my hunts so id always just go buy a new one and site in with that

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Nosler AccuBonds or Barnes X bullets are what I would use. I have never had a bad experiance with either of those.
For my .270, I was using 140 grain Accubonds and they worked great.

This year I'll also be testing the Berger VLD hunting bullets in a 6.5-06 for long range hunting.

Edit:
Just realized this was an old question.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thats OK Justin, it is still pertinent.

I like 140ish grain bullets in the 270 generally, with Accubond, TTSX, and Bergers topping the list.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I was shooting 130 grain, and not 140 grain AccuBonds like I thought.

Load Specs.
130 grain Nosler AccuBond
46 grains of IMR 4320
Remington brass
CCI benchrest primer
3.340" C.O.A.L.
2730 FPS with a 22" barrel.

Jdog

WKR
I don't reload and usually buy Federal Premium or Hornady...130 Triple Shox seem to do the ticket