What ammo to put in my 10mm for protection?

For the guys that asked-
Here Is the ballistic info on the black hills HoneyBadger:
4” test barrel
1,600 fps
654 ft lbs.

If you’re shooting it out if a glock 20, you’ll get more velocity/energy due to the longer barrel.
Did you do any penetration testing?

Surprising to me. The extreme penetrator seems to hold its own against heavier hardcast. I thought the lighter bullet would lose momentum a lot faster. It’s nice to learn new things.

These aren’t comprehensive tests but I now think the new fangled bullets at higher velocity might be more than a gimmick. 👍

I’ll be sticking to my 200 gr hardcast. But mainly because I load my own and have a lot of components. If I were starting fresh I’d seriously consider the penetrators… assuming the bullets can be bought as a component and they aren’t prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Yes, wyobohunter, my research a number of months ago showed the Underwood ammo, and the like, with its solid copper composition provide the penetration of a hardcast but the bullet flutes create a wound channel like a hollow point.

Underwood still has some of their ammo on sale (10-30% off). I stocked up on the higher discounted calibers I shoot. No affiliation.

Eddie

Yes, wyobohunter, my research a number of months ago showed the Underwood ammo, and the like, with its solid copper composition provide the penetration of a hardcast but the bullet flutes create a wound channel like a hollow point.

Underwood still has some of their ammo on sale (10-30% off). I stocked up on the higher discounted calibers I shoot. No affiliation.

Eddie
Do you know how much these bullets cost compared to Cast Performance 200 gr.? I see that there is likely no disadvantage to the copper, I’d probably base future purchases on price.

I just kept it simple with my XD-M Compact in 10mm: Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman in 220 gr; hell picked up BB Outdoorsman for my 9mm and their standard pressure for my 380.
I understand the concern about cost but at the end of the day, it’s pretty inexpensive compared to a mauling and associated medical and/or funeral costs.

Do recommend practicing to CNS shots. The toughness of bears, especially grizzly, is impressive once their adrenaline kicks in.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Do you know how much these bullets cost compared to Cast Performance 200 gr.? I see that there is likely no disadvantage to the copper, I’d probably base future purchases on price.
For bullets, I have no idea as I do not load my ammo.

IIRC, they are a bit pricier than the hardcast, but buying them on sale minimizes the premium, and at the end of the day, the extra cost is minor for most folks.

Eddie

Last edited:

joel

FNG
I'm with the hard cast and solid bullet guys. A bear usually has quite a few inches of fat and you will have a difficult time getting through that and the hide with a pistol unless its hard cast or solid. I read about a guide in Montana that he and a client had to shoot a grizzly that came at them near a kill. They both almost emptied their clips and i think they both had 10mm. The guide was using hard cast and his bullets went through and killed the bear. The client had some other loads and they never made it past the layer of fat on any of his rounds that actually hit the bear. Just fyi. Lets hope you never have to find out.......or anyone else on here......myself included.

Watch this schitt show......you're the first guy I've ever read that had it right from the beginning...F Hard Cast..

Just scroll to the 8 min mark

In my barely educated opinion this is not a good example of what hard cast bullets can do. I’ve personally dumped mule deer and elk with cast lead. A good friend dumped a fair size Kodiak with cast. In my experience they are very effective for hunting when placed well… However, for bear protection the point is to smash major bones and/or take out the CNS to stop them. Look to African dangerous game hunters and what they choose, it’s often solids. Not saying that as any kind of “expert”. But IMO this video isn’t fit for the discussion.

Why discount it? Buck was clueless. Not amp'd up. No charge. All the time in the world.

I can't see where the hits were. But seems like a ton of ammo was dispensed for what I think....is a VERY schitty outcome and not at all a humane harvest.

A bear will be less dense and easier to kill?

I shot a WT buck with a 180 XTP in 10mil a few years ago. Out of a tree. I could see the steam come out of the wound immediately and the buck dropped in it's tracks. Lots of visible blood loss. Spun a few circles and done.

Fall bears can be chubby. But the hide is not really more substantial than a deer. Less than an elk. The fat may be a few inches thick. But it's really very viscous and gelatinous. It's not the same type of fat that covers the HQ of fall bucks. That's why Rinella renders it down all the time.

A 10mil with an XTP has ZERO issues penetrating a bear hide and 3" of jelly fat.

I watched a black bear soak up 13 of 17 rounds fired, all hard cast, didn't deter him at all until they eventually killed him with time to allow the wounds to take hold. I didn't feel like they were very effective and no longer carry hard cast in my 10mm. Right or wrong, you won't know until you have to use it I guess and you can bet nearly every situation will be different.

Kurts86

WKR
I usually run the Underwood 220 Hardcast in grizzly country in my G20 but I would also consider the 140/150gr? Underwood Extreme penetrators since both have run well for me at the range. Both have hours of YouTube penetration tests to watch.

I always had good luck with the 200 gr XTP’s at the range and would consider them for black bears and definitely hunting deer. They definitely have a reputation for running well in Glocks and the 200 grain holds up better than the 180 grain XTP at 10mm velocities.

WYo- Expand on your kills with cast. I'm interested in with what
I use 405 grain 45-70 for mule deer and elk. My buddy used 420 grain 45-70 for a Kodiak brown bear. Both obviously heavier than a 200 or 220 grain .40 caliber bullet and obviously going faster. Though I don’t think it matters much so long as penetration is good. The theory is that the wide meplat is similar to an expanding bullet and the point is to break bones like an African dangerous game does with those non expanding solids.