What appeals to you more?

What appeals most to you?

• Help an elk new elk hunter get their first wapiti.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I'm not to the point where I would consider it

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Hell with that, I'm getting mine

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

phantom16

FNG
Yeah, yeah.... It's the mid spring, five months till elk season boredom which tends to prompt some of these types of threads The situation is you've hunted/harvested elk pretty successfully with archery equipment for quite a few years. You're pretty good at at calling and have been in the thick of things for more years than many hunters will ever enjoy in a lifetime. The question is, if you could choose between killing your umpteenth elk this year "or" having the option of taking a hunter who has never had the opportunity to experience the elk woods of MT, ID, WA, OR, CO, NW, WY, whatever and helping them get their first elk (calling in a bull for them to shoot, sharing a bit of what you know, and giving them the elk hunting excitement that you've experienced many times)... which would you choose?

Sorry.. I meant to write "help a new elk hunter" for the first option on the poll... long week..

Last edited:

Swede

WKR
That is an interesting question. Over the years I have mentored several new hunters. One has stayed with me and is doing very well. He has killed elk for the last four years. Others move on for various reasons. If I feel comfortable with an individual, I would be glad to work with and train them. I enjoy doing that. Having a new hunter who wants to learn to be a successful predator is every bit as fun as killing a bull. The problems I think about include: 1. Lliability issues, especially with tree stands. 2. The newbie may take over the area. If I show them my area one year then I risk having that person with his or her crowd move in and take over the area the following year. 3. Are they really prepared to hunt and can they generally take care of themselves? I would be pleased to mentor, but I am no mother.

bnsafe

WKR
i cant speak for elk, but i love taking new hunters for turkeys, ducks, geese and deer. the thrill they get out of it brings back some of the fire and passion i used to have and feel now for my first elk hunt. but, if they dont listen and do what i tell them to they get one chance, then its the last time they go with me. thats happened a couple times.

Can I pick option 1 and 3?

Gosh...I would say I am comfortable solo (providing the I know the area really well - scouting prep) but I am far from accomplished....very far. However, I have enough wisdom from my experience and mentors to be gutsy enough to mentor someone right now - maybe it is because at this point I really cherish the company. Will be taking my wife on her first hunt this year.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would do both - but maybe take them in some new country so you don't pollute one of your favorite spots. I love calling bulls in for other people almost as much as shooting them so for me this is a win-win as long as you can both get a tag. Spend a little extra time teaching them the art of calling so you can both share in the action. Even kids can learn to be fairly proficient calling elk in with a few hours of practice and coaching.