What are some modifications or "must haves" to keep in your vehicle/hunting rig?

Kindo

WKR
Earlier this spring my wife crashed our 2007 4runner (everyone was okay). Luckily, I was able to sell her on going the van route and I am converting the 4runner into a dedicated hunting rig for around WI/MN but plan on taking it West each fall as well.

What have some of you found to be a necessity in your rigs?

What do you keep in your tote in the back aside from jumpers and some roadside emergency stuff?

We typically hike back in from trailheads etc for hunting out west, but there are times where we take a OHV or low maintenance road to get back in farther and it would be nice to be able to drive this back there as long as my driving skills allow it.

Currently, I upgraded the suspension and added a steel front bumper that could handle a winch but there is currently no winch on it and I've never needed a winch before.

Are some traction assist tools helpful? Chains? Winch vs. come along? Not looking for anything crazy but maybe just some ideas that I haven't thought about yet.

Is it true that hunting supplement stickers firmly in place on my rear window will give my rig more traction and 20% more torque?

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Sh!t, how did I forget the truck nutz?! I went ahead and ordered a set off amazon already. Thanks for the tip!

In regards to a high lift, I don’t have sliders on my truck yet. Would a high lift still be as useful?

Truck nutz

But seriously a come along, jumper cables and some basic tools (wrenches etc) have gotten me out of a lot of binds

Edit: forgot a high lift jack

Aside from basics I always try to have a case of water in my truck along with a shovel, TP, tool kit, tow strap and a change of clothes those items stay in there at all times. If I know I'm going somewhere remote be good throw in a little air compressor with some tires chains and a traction board maybe some spare truck parts as well, all these things listed have been needed at one point or another for me.

An inexpensive tire plugger kit is faster than changing to a spare. Tire chains. tow chain and saw for dragging down trees out of road. Fire starter and the usual water knife snacks ect....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Jumper cables, jumper box like a Noco Boost, good jack with tire tools, spare in working condition, air compressor capable of filling your sized tire, pull straps. A winch is super handy if you can afford it. Skip a hi lift jack. They are super sketchy and not safe under most conditions. Use a proper jack to swap a tire if needed. Just about everyone I wheel with feels the same. Most of the time guys buy them as a hood decoration.

Edit: Good set of gloves

Last edited:

Carr5vols

WKR
Air compressor, shovel, ax, matic, tow strap, bungee straps, good high strength rope ( flip flop winch/ learn how to use this) tire plug kit, basic tools, zip ties, tp, lighter, Sawyer water filter, cooler full of water ( many uses), contractor garbage bags, leather gloves, 3 foot long 2 x 4 ( ratchet strap it to any tire to get out of mudhole), flashlights, sleeping bags, extra food.

Billinsd

WKR
In addition to others: duct tape, tire chains, traction board, pulpal, CO2 tank, highlift and square plywood base with bolts for mud and lots of other highlift accessories.

16Bore

WKR
First aid kit, couple of those cheap rain ponchos, water, old jetboil and bag of random coffee, cocoa, ramen, etc., learherman, rope.

Ended up with an old milk crate full of shit and somehow it stays in there.