What are some modifications or "must haves" to keep in your vehicle/hunting rig?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Off hand in my truck I have:
*TP (gets used)
*Small shovel (gets used, see above...)
*Some first aid (luckily not used much)
*A general wrench set w/ electrical tape, etc. (Occasional)
*4 x tire chains (Used first in bad conditions vs winch or such)
*Good jumper cables (Used for others mostly it seems)
*Good 3-4" x 30' tow strap (Used for others mostly it seems)
*Some shackles
*Bow saw (Not used much but just takes that one tree)
*Spare wiper blades (I've lost/destroyed one before)
*Sometimes a spare serpentine belt (If I change one out I put the old one under my truck seat)
*Winch gear: pullies, tree strap, etc. (I have a winch on my truck but in 7yrs I've only used it once to pull someone else back up on the road, tire chains have gotten me out of most situations).

Then the obvious (hopefully) stuff like cell charger, a headlamp or flashlight, food/snacks in my day gear, pens/sharpie in the glove box, some spare fuses, etc.

sumyungguy

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Utah Native here;

Overlanding setups are the best to follow, but essentially what everyone has said above. If you're not mechanically inclined and just want the essentials: Fuses, gas (get a cargo basket, FAR cheaper than a bumper and that way it's not in the cab with ya), some of your basic wrenches (10mm, 9/16, etc), tire patch kit and a small air compressor, fix a flat, IFAK, just typical kidn of "prepper" stuff.

And as unsuspecting as it is, a pair of walking/running shoes. I don't count on my vehicle to survive the end of the world - but I'm ready with a warchest and my walking shoes, as insane as that sounds.

WRM

WKR
Plenty of good recos of lots of stuff above.

A few have suggested fuses, and that is great. May be more important to understand your vehicle's relays and whether you have proper non essential relays to swap out to "necessary" relays. They die at the damndest times, and it's often hard to find relays for older vehicles (mine's 25 years old). An example is that a relay runs your ABS system, and your system may not allow you to drive (or not well) if that relay dies. And, if you have a brake (ABS) based traction control system, the failure of the brake relay may only compound that problem further. So, figure out what relays you REALLY need in order to operate and make sure you can swap out from a different, non-essential item.

I'm not set up for a Hi Lift, so I opt for the come along. Wyeth Scott makes some heavy duty bullet proof ones. If you have the Hi Lift, it can do double duty.

bofishil

FNG
I have a lot of items already mentioned but I also like to have one of the fold up game carts in my truck. I realize in real mountainous ground they may not be a benefit but there are plenty of areas they are useful.

CCooper

WKR
Most of the stuff has already been mentioned, but the most used pieces for me lately have been: Dewalt Cordless 1/2" impact with deep impact sockets to fit all lugnut sizes I'm running, a Dewalt cordless inflator tool, and a Dewalt cordless 12" chainsaw. I also keep a compact floor jack in the toolbox. The jacks vehicles come with are shit and barely rated for your truck, much less if you are towing anything. A small tarp- this has endless uses, and plenty of rope and various sizes of nylon lifting straps, shackles, and a couple snatch blocks.

Button

WKR
Food, water, poop paper, tools/equipment. I have a bunch of stuff in my truck and most of it has been needed more than once.

Always check your spare tire pressure before you go way out there !!!!! Do I sound like a guy who forgot to do so once ? Yes, I am that guy. It sux when its not ready to use and you are over 35 miles from a paved road and town. . Check your spare !!
BOW

Hittman23

FNG
Most of the stuff has already been mentioned, but the most used pieces for me lately have been: Dewalt Cordless 1/2" impact with deep impact sockets to fit all lugnut sizes I'm running, a Dewalt cordless inflator tool, and a Dewalt cordless 12" chainsaw. I also keep a compact floor jack in the toolbox. The jacks vehicles come with are shit and barely rated for your truck, much less if you are towing anything. A small tarp- this has endless uses, and plenty of rope and various sizes of nylon lifting straps, shackles, and a couple snatch blocks.
That 1/2” impact is a lifesaver. I use Milwaukee but same difference. The cordless flood light is nice to have at camp and for vehicle repair.

hunterjmj

WKR
I keep chains for all four tires, bought a hydraulic jack(way easier than the crappy factory ones), boards for said jack, shovel, tow strap, circuit tester, wide range of tools, fuel, rags, tp, spare fuses, 2 spare tires, probably more but I can't think of anything. I hate breaking down and even worse is not being able to get going again. I probably carry more than I need but I'm ok with that.
Before any extended trip away from home that involves rough roads it's good to give your pickup a good once over. Tie rods, ball joints, battery, oil, coolant, u joints, etc.

My Jeep always has recovery gear for others as well as my self. Cables, a bag of emergency supplies and an extra quart of oil… because, you know, it’s a Jeep.

Yarak

WKR
Since most everything has been mentioned I'll add Extra batteries for your electronics and a portable charger for your Cell and GPS

Shovel, 2 fire extinguishers (with different retardants), emergency medical kit w/ tacticals (QuikClot, tourniquet, etc.) & Inreach.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a small Plano sportsman tote under my bed cover with:
tow strap
fire extinguisher
Jumper cables
Two extra headlight bulbs
Small FAK
Pair of gloves
Socket set
duct tape
Army surplus folding shovel
Spare mag and box of ammo for my 9mm

also have a 50 cal ammo can with a small air compressor, zip ties and more tools that stays in the bed that I’ll throw in the front rack on my 4 wheeler if I get very far from the pickup.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Audew jump starter. There's not always another vehicle around. I checked them all out and found this to be the best one out there. I also have jumper cables. I didn't read this entire thread but, spare belt, hide a key, 12" square X 3/4 thick board to put jack on is soft dirt or sand, a real must in the desert. Stubby bottle jack, when I have gotten a flat my truck is to low to get regular high jack under in good jacking spot, so I use stubby jack to get is up high enough for regular high bottle jack, the jack supplied we most trucks are crap. Fix a flat kit and air compressor. At least one Qt. of motor oil. 12 volt fuel transfer pump w/tubing.

OscarMike

FNG
Air compressor, shovel, ax, matic, tow strap, bungee straps, good high strength rope ( flip flop winch/ learn how to use this) tire plug kit, basic tools, zip ties, tp, lighter, Sawyer water filter, cooler full of water ( many uses), contractor garbage bags, leather gloves, 3 foot long 2 x 4 ( ratchet strap it to any tire to get out of mudhole), flashlights, sleeping bags, extra food.
+1 for flip flop winch, never seen this before