What are the issues with the Kimber hunters?

Slamo

FNG
I bought a Kimber Hunter 280 AI last winter and the only problem I have had with it is the shells bouncing in the magazine upon recoil and smashing the poly tips of the bullets ( accubonds ) and I had 2" to 4" shot groups at 100yds even after 100+ rounds through it including the break in rounds. . I contacted Kimber and they said to send in the magazine and replaced it with a new one and still the same problem. I bought an extra mag and put a stiffer Remington mag spring in it and still same problem so I switched to Nosler Partitions 160gr and now it shoots sub MOA at 100yds. The lead tips on the bullets get beat up a little upon recoil but it doesn't mess with accuracy like it does with the plastic tip bullets. Also it took me some time on the range to learn how to shoot this light weight rifle and that being said every type of poly tip bullet will not group well at all unless I single shoot each one but if I load the magazine and shoot it the other two rounds in the mag will fly all over the target from being bounced in the mag upon recoil and in turn smashing up the tips. Not good for a hunting situation but the Partitions work well and I am happy with them. I did have to go through the rounds ( no pun intented ) with Kimber's Customer Service and they couldn't figure out a fix for it and seemed surprised at first but after many pics and video sent to them they know plenty and about this issue. I had a Kimber Montana 300wsm that I bought at the same time and it had feeding issues and was sent back to kimber three times before I got rid of it but it never smashed bullet tips in the mag upon recoil? After all of that I really like the Kimber Hunter and will keep it. I like the removable mag option ( just wish they would redesign it again! ) and I've learned to like the plastic stock ( I've seen and had worse stocks ) and I like how it shoots. NOW! ;) I've looked at the Kimber Mountain Ascent in moss green in 280AI but I don't think I have it in me to play Kimber Roulette again so soon.. But I sure like that platform :(

aMonster

FNG
I have not had as much opportunity to really try mine out but regarding the 25 rounds I did put through mine on the hunting trip I can say that 100 yard groups were all under an inch using 165gr Hornady Whitetail InterLock rounds.

Interesting what you've observed with the magazine, wondering if your 280 would be the same mag as my .308? I will check for this rattle if and when I ever get mine back.

Stid2677

WKR
I would think that the impact from the recoil that is damaging the tips is causing the bullets to be driven deeper into the case decreasing COAL, this more than likely is the cause of your poor groups, rather than damaged tips. This would be something that could be measured, load and shoot, remove the bullets and measure base to ogive. Hornady says the tips melt anyway,, that was why all the hype about the new tips for the ELDs and ELXs.

Might also load the magazine so the tips are touching the front of the mag, this will reduce the amount of travel they have during recoil, damaged tips from recoil is not unique to this rifle.....

Slamo

FNG
Yes sir, we checked down that avenue too and the bullets stayed seated as they were set from the factory, we marked and measured also I should have mentioned loading the mag with rounds touching the front of the mag didn't change the out come upon recoil either. This issue has made more than one head scratch as a few guys from the rifle club looked it over. I'm happy the Nosler partitions have worked out so well for the situation!...

The hunters just feel poorly made. The stock feels like it would shatter with an impact and slippery. The action is rough and loose. Tikkas are head and shoulders above in finish.