What are you cooking with your game meat?

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I plan to grill a couple of antelope steaks this evening. My wife and kids are out of town so I invited my dad and a friend to join me. If it weren't for straight up grilling of meat I wouldn't know where to begin.

Yeah, but you can't go wrong with grilled steaks, and I hear elk is great! Do you marinate or season it at all before grilling? Let us know how it turns out WV!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Show off! Did I tell you yet that I envy you guys:)

Sorry Les! And we even got so busy eating the beer battered fish that I forgot to take photos :(
Let us know when you want to make a trip north, we would love to have ya!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Becca! Did you guys get any pics of your camp set-up? I know it gets to be a hassle.....but us "Southerners" really love the pictures. I am going to hold you guys to that trip!

A baked sweet potato is awesome with a bbq elk steak! Another great option is an elk roast in a crock pot with garlic embedded in the roast. Yummy!

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but you can't go wrong with grilled steaks, and I hear elk is great! Do you marinate or season it at all before grilling? Let us know how it turns out WV!

Becca, this will be the 4th time I have had grilled antelope steaks. The first was at camp the day after we took a couple. My buddy drthornton (on here) grilled them on a one use charcoal grill. I think he used some salt, pepper and grill mates type seasoning. They were delicious. The last two times I grilled them at home I used a little bit of salt and pepper and they tasted real good. I'm kind of a lazy cook so it will be just salt and pepper again.

I do have a couple of peices of elk in the freezer but I haven't had the opportunity to cook it yet. Any ideas? They are top and bottom roasts, I would have to cut them in thirds to cook in the crock pot.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca, this will be the 4th time I have had grilled antelope steaks. The first was at camp the day after we took a couple. My buddy drthornton (on here) grilled them on a one use charcoal grill. I think he used some salt, pepper and grill mates type seasoning. They were delicious. The last two times I grilled them at home I used a little bit of salt and pepper and they tasted real good. I'm kind of a lazy cook so it will be just salt and pepper again.

I do have a couple of peices of elk in the freezer but I haven't had the opportunity to cook it yet. Any ideas? They are top and bottom roasts, I would have to cut them in thirds to cook in the crock pot.

Sorry, I just realized I misread your first post...thinking elk instead of antelope. While I do know the difference, we don't see a lot of either critter up here so I guess I just got mixed up :)
Can't wait to hear how your antelope steaks come out!

As far as your elk roasts go, crock pot would probably do an amazing job, or you might be able to get them whole into a Dutch oven if you have or can borrow one. I have done moose, deer and caribou steaks over onions in the Dutch oven with a little beer or wine and apple juice and they turned out awesome! Slow cooking in either a crock pot or dutch oven seems to be a great way to go with game roasts, as it keeps them tender despite their low fat content. If you want an even easier route, toss the roast in the crock pot with a packet or two of liptons onion soup mix and a little beef broth...yum!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dall Sheep Steaks

Tonight I grilled Dall Sheep Steak...
2464ae36.jpg

Sliced against the grain, tossed with Worcestershire sauce, freshly ground black pepper and seasoning salt then grilled to medium doneness

b2497c81.jpg

Served with sautéed veggies and some coleslaw, awesome!
4a76531e.jpg

You all getting tired of my food pictures, or should I keep going?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca....you're killing us here :)

We tagged 3 turkeys this week, so we will be having fresh turkey for awhile!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Tonight I grilled Dall Sheep Steak...
2464ae36.jpg

Sliced against the grain, tossed with Worcestershire sauce, freshly ground black pepper and seasoning salt then grilled to medium doneness

b2497c81.jpg

Served with sautéed veggies and some coleslaw, awesome!
4a76531e.jpg

You all getting tired of my food pictures, or should I keep going?

Seriously?? You busted out the sheep steaks when I am out of town J/K, guess that means I get to eat all of yours if you get one this year :D

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously?? You busted out the sheep steaks when I am out of town J/K, guess that means I get to eat all of yours if you get one this year :D

Just doing my part to whittle down what's left in the freezer from last year :)

You can eat as much of my possible sheep as you can cook yourself, ha ha :)

akrdkill

WKR
Southeast alaska shrimp & patrmigan with cajun spice & tomato base sauce
P1000753.jpg

grouse poppers...love them!
P1000658.jpg

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow akrdkill, that looks awesome!! How do you do the grouse poppers? I think I see jalapeño in there, but what else? We enjoyed a gallon or two of Prince William Sound shrimp over the winter, but it has sadly run out now....

Ryan, I am thinking Luke would have preferred I eat a less "choice" meat while he is out of town at work :) But truth be told, I am a little sick of moose, deer, and caribou these days, so the sheep steaks added a little variety. I have assured Luke we can have a repeat of this meal when he gets back...

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I should have taken pictures of the Elk Steak Fajita's from last night. I suppose I will have to make them again this coming week just because of that.

akrdkill

WKR
Becca i use canned sliced jalapeno's, lit bit of rondele cheese or similar & a small chunk of grouse or ptarmigan. i try to get some low sodium center cut bacon also...wrap them up & good to go....they don't last long. cant wait to get some fresh shrimp. got a good deal on some from S.E. for 7.00/lb so i bought a bunch. they're great.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Akrdkill, I may have to try that sometime, they look awesome!

I should have taken pictures of the Elk Steak Fajita's from last night. I suppose I will have to make them again this coming week just because of that.

I will look forward to your post! It's really fun seeing what other people are cooking up, and helps me think of new ideas!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
This evening we had Italian Blacktail Subs with onions and peppers.

Luke with one of his Kodiak, AK blacktail
IMGP2115.jpg

I marinated the venison back straps in Italian dressing and cooked them on low in the crockpot for 8 hours with diced onions. I added chopped bell peppers in the last hour.
b82a7b90.jpg

a7b381ce.jpg

Served on toasted hoagie rolls with fries and salad. Yum!
285c8ad6.jpg

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
Looks great Becca.. I do something similar.. I also marinate the venison in Italian dressing and lots of garlic, then cook and serve on a roll with grilled onions and peppers...