What are you eating on your hunts this year?

Fatcamp

WKR
DIY Dehydrated meals mostly, couple variations of homemade "cookies" (natural ingredients, low sugar, high protein/fat), homemade jerky, dehydrated fruit (easy to do), breakfast blends (oatmeal based with tons of other goodies.). I make a lot of my own food, I feel it helps me perform over time but do bring some store bought food as well.

I would be interested to hear more about your cookies.

Fatcamp

WKR
All hunts will be truck based. Experimenting this summer with better diet options. In the end, 75% of what I eat are wraps and sandwiches heavy on the vegetables. My wife prefers more variety. We will take precooked loin and chicken. Add to soup and pasta.

During the day I don't really eat much. I carry a bunch of calories just in case, but seldom use them.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested to hear more about your cookies.
They're pretty simple and ever changing. Most were originally derived from some of the Lampers' recipes on their website, check those out for starters. From there I just continuously experiment and they end up slightly different every time. haha

Ram94

WKR
I’ve been following the ketogenic diet for nearly 3 years, not to be trendy, but to ward off Type-2 diabetes. Lost a bunch of weight 2.5 years ago and kept it off on a diet of less than 25 net carbs per day, including a DIY deer and antelope hunt in WY last year. The trick is that hunt was mostly based from a vehicle with a several mile hunt in on numerous occasions so I wasn’t carrying all my food on my back for days at a time.

This season I’m doing some more elaborate elk hunts in the Bighorn Mountains and will need some dedicated backpacking meals. I found a company selling keto-specific backpacking meals which seems novel however a bit gimmicky. May end up eating almonds and butter fat bombs for a few days straight but I found last year that food was only a vehicle to “getting full” and I didn’t care what I ate after a multi-mile pack-out through canyons in the dark with an arrival back in camp at 11:30PM!
If you are referring to Next Mile Meals, they are delicious. I am bringing a few of their meals this year and I'm not even on a ketogenic diet.

Breakfast and 2nd breakfast - cliff bar
Lunch - Tuna or chicken packet, ranch packet, valentina packet on a tortilla
Dinner - Peak or SPAM and Idahoans

snacks consist of dried fruit, honey stingers, peanut butter, trail mix

mwebs

WKR
Backpacking
Breakfast- Bar and a fruit
Lunch- Bagel, tuna and cheese sandwich with different flavor packet every day along with meat sticks, cheese, nuts, dried fruits, snickers, other bars, fruit snaks, little debbies. Yea I get hungry out there all day haha.
Dinner- Going with Alpineaire dry meals this year to switch it up. Had some in the past and they are always tasty. Just can’t take another day of chili Mac farts.

Truck
Breakfast- Burritos
Lunch- same as backpacking unless it’s a day off then usually brats and a side.
Dinner- Burgers, pasta sides, something interesting we found in the freezer section, pork chops, etc.

Poser

WKR
Breakfast
Oatmeal + powdered butter and whole egg protein

Lunch: charcuterie and Gouda cheese roll up

Dinner: various Alpine Aire and Heather’s Choice meals.

Snacks: pop tats, snickers, payday, macadamia nuts, RX bar, honey stingers.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my food stuff has been pretty dialed in for awhile; a lot of it dialed in outside of hunting season as I backpack year round

breakfast instant coffee with a mix of powdered butter and powdered coconut oil, boosts the coffee to about 100 calories (and tastes pretty good too) add a Lennie and Larry’s cookie for another 500 cals

snacks- pretty much have settled on Kind bars, normally 4-5/day

lunch- dried salami, cheddar cheese in a pita pocket, good helping of Fritos, couple of snack sized Snickers

supper-Peak Refuel with two olive packets- yields close to a 1000 calories combined, couple of snack sized Snickers

little over 3000 calories and weighs about 1.5 lbs/day

Reactions: CB1

bdan68

WKR
I'm doing a keto/carnivore diet so on my week long hunting trip this year I'll be bringing hard boiled eggs, canned sardines, canned salmon, beef jerky, and maybe some macadamia nuts. Also will probably have some eggs to eat raw, there's nothing quicker, or healthier than 3 or 4 raw eggs first thing in the morning. I like them mixed up with a little milk or cream, and some lemon juice. I don't normally eat fruit but might bring some apples, as I suppose I'll be getting enough exercise that the sugar won't hurt me.

Seth

WKR
Next Mile Meals for dinner, low carb tortillas with almond butter for lunch, protein shake for brekkie. Unless I’m out of the truck or camper, then more variety.

KsRancher

WKR
Breakfast is cup of instant coffee and a package of instant oatmeal. Lunch is a jerkey with cheese and a candy bar. Supper is is a mountain house or Ramen cup and a little Debbie for desert

mwebs

WKR
I'm doing a keto/carnivore diet so on my week long hunting trip this year I'll be bringing hard boiled eggs, canned sardines, canned salmon, beef jerky, and maybe some macadamia nuts. Also will probably have some eggs to eat raw, there's nothing quicker, or healthier than 3 or 4 raw eggs first thing in the morning. I like them mixed up with a little milk or cream, and some lemon juice. I don't normally eat fruit but might bring some apples, as I suppose I'll be getting enough exercise that the sugar won't hurt me.

They have salmon in pouches with different flavors if your interested. Easier to pack out than empty cans.

bdan68

WKR
They have salmon in pouches with different flavors if your interested. Easier to pack out than empty cans.

That's a good idea. I'll have to look into those. I have a feeling it's a lot more expensive than the canned salmon I buy at Safeway. But would definitely be more convenient to throw a couple pouches in the backpack.

I have a question for you guys carrying salmon or tuna pouches.

Probably me being a wussy but do you worry about the smell after opening a pouch? I carried one a couple years ago and even with my nose I smelled like a fish farm. LOL

mwebs

WKR
I have a question for you guys carrying salmon or tuna pouches.

Probably me being a wussy but do you worry about the smell after opening a pouch? I carried one a couple years ago and even with my nose I smelled like a fish farm. LOL

I fold them up and put in a ziplock with the rest of my trash and put that into a dry meal pouch after dinner. Never had an issue with smell.