What are you eating on your hunts this year?

rodney482

WKR
I have a question for you guys carrying salmon or tuna pouches.

Probably me being a wussy but do you worry about the smell after opening a pouch? I carried one a couple years ago and even with my nose I smelled like a fish farm. LOL

I use chicken instead. Less odiferous

Jbxl20

WKR
I haven’t seen too many green belly bars being recommended. I only ever tried one peanut/apricot. I didn’t care for it at all. Flavor or texture wise. Does anyone recommend any other flavors or should I just stick to the pro bars?

id_jon

WKR
I haven’t seen too many green belly bars being recommended. I only ever tried one peanut/apricot. I didn’t care for it at all. Flavor or texture wise. Does anyone recommend any other flavors or should I just stick to the pro bars?
I really didnt like the green belly bars that I tried. I've been happy with all the pro bars I've had so far though

Jbxl20

WKR
I really didnt like the green belly bars that I tried. I've been happy with all the pro bars I've had so far though
I agree all the pro bars I’ve tried are good. Also I pack the elevation brand energy bars in my lunch often. Don’t get the elevation brand Maxx bars they are gross.

mlgc20

WKR
I liked all of the Greenbelly bars. Although peanut/apricot is my least favorite. I really like the Spiced Carmel Apple and the Dark Chocolate Banana. At 600 calories, they are a lot of one flavor. I repackage them at home into Ziplocs and break them into halves. Then I mix and match, so in one meal I am eating 2 different flavors. Obviously, taste is very subjective. I can't stand Clif Bars or Pro Bars. Go figure.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the useful ideas guys!

I've got to admit that I have always just packed MH meals, some MRE's, dried mangos, stingers, and protein bars...year after year, trip after trip. I am out fully enjoying the Alaska opportunities every year, but I will also admit that I'm ready for a change in food options. I've historically marveled in amazement and joy when a new MH entre comes out maybe (and sadly) every other year or so.

I just went and got some Peak Refuel meals to add to the line-up for my remote 9-day, hundred-mile packraft fishing float next month, as well as my remote two-week moose drop camp in September. I'm looking forward to the variety this year...thanks again guys!

Meal planning...pffft...

I'm taking 3lbs of peanut M&Ms and 3lbs of fatty muskox jerky on my first and shortest hunt this year of 4days.

I've tried 3days straight with those two magical items and it was good going in the mouth and out the butt.
Really good energy level.

Macros are actually pretty decent. 110g protein a day and 135g fat. 2350 calories/day.
Based on estimated cal burn i should only drop 2lbs

The longer hunts will get some variety.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Anyone else just get tired of all the sweet crap. Pro bars, honey stingers, nut butters, protein bars...I get so sick of the sweet flavors, hard to choke it down.

What are some good hearty, salty snacks besides tuna packs and beef jerky?

Poser

WKR
Anyone else just get tired of all the sweet crap. Pro bars, honey stingers, nut butters, protein bars...I get so sick of the sweet flavors, hard to choke it down.

I do. I pretty much can’t eat any of the “power bars” at all anymore -just sick of them and they don’t go down well when I’m sweaty and thirsty. I’ve pretty much ditched all of the “healthy” bars for Snickers, Payday bars and Reece’s. Outside of that, charcuterie is a great option. Get the good stuff, too: Various types of Salami, pepperoni, landjager… can kind of go nuts here. Get some smoked cheese, too. Macadamia nuts are great as well.

dtrkyman

WKR
I make my own trail mix, Carmel m&m's are a game changer!

As far as bars I only buy rx bars anymore, the blueberry are my favorite.

I also tend to pack a quality pre cooked actual food meal for the first day, nice to start off nourished and the weight is gone right away.

willidru

WKR
New items - Trying Peak Refuel this year, I’ve been crushing Onnit protein bits as snacks and bone broth.

Hopefully not eating any tags

This thread is making me even less interested in backpack hunting. Lol.

Nothing better than cooking up a tasty actual meal after a long hunt. Like grilling up some steaks/fish and veggies with a side of wild rice.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve posted in other threads on this topic before. For me, dehydrating my own meals and making my own “energy bars” has been a real game changer. For one, you can control the ingredients and take only what you like. For health reasons, you can bypass all the preservatives and things, and have nutrient rich meals that ultimately make you feel better and stay on the mountain longer.
For meals, you basically make stuff that you like at home, then put it in the dehydrator racks, then package. Really the only thing I do differently is cut stuff in smaller pieces when cooking it.
For bars, I like to use dates as a base, and add nuts, grains, fruit, dark chocolate and protein powder.
I also dehydrate banana chips and apple slices as they make great snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Most of my hunts are day trips so I usually just pack a sandwich or two or a TOTM if I can get them from a friend of mine.

Drenalin

WKR

I definitely prefer salty over sweet. Some that are working for me:
Pistachios (or other salted nuts)
Combos
Moon cheese or something similar
White cheddar popcorn
Snyder's jalapeno pretzel pieces

I'm about sick of peanut butter and jerky, but the stick type jerkies are still a go to as well.

Brendan

WKR

I go to Costco and buy the tubs of mixed nuts. Separate into plastic bags with enough for each day. Can add some unsweetened dried fruit if you want for a trail mix.

StuckoYota99

Lil-Rokslider
I loaded up on a variety of honeystinger products off camo fire, I ordered a bunch of peak refuel last year.
And im trying dark timber coffee packs this year instead of Starbucks instant. I also switched over to a jetboil. I'm going to try to make my own bars or just go with snickers bars and cliff bars.

Will_m

WKR
I have a question for you guys carrying salmon or tuna pouches.

Probably me being a wussy but do you worry about the smell after opening a pouch? I carried one a couple years ago and even with my nose I smelled like a fish farm. LOL
If you’re in a spot where they can smell the fish, they could probably smell you without the fish.
Might help to smell like fish during the rut though…..

willidru

WKR
New items - Trying Peak Refuel this year, I’ve been crushing Onnit protein bits as snacks and bone broth.

Hopefully not eating any tags
Quick update from a backpacking trip this weekend.
Trail Butter Dark Chocolate & Coffee was new and great addition.

For the Peak refuel the granola breakfast was good and the chicken teriyaki too. The Chad Mendez bison masher weren’t edible and the elk pasta was meh

Peak Meals
BOBO bars
jerky
Stuffed breadsticks (we use pizza dough with mozzarella sticks and pepperoni rolled up and baked in)
snickers
honey stinger waffles/JB
flavored tuna packets
Starbucks instant coffee packets
dried fruit/Peanut/MM trail mix
(I also take salt/pepper and foil folded up for fish/grouse if I get the opportunity)